Tables for two

RoseGab123

13 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Totally agree! But perhaps we’re strange because the majority here seem to say that as for the rest of the year they spend most time eating with their partner they want distraction from that with strangers on a cruise. Seeing we still enjoy eating together and prefer that as opposed to having to make polite conversation with strangers we’re the odd ones out. So, explain to me why there appears to be a greater demand for tables for 2 and cruise lines except Norwegian appear to be reluctant to provide it? This is where the “Butlins at sea” impression comes from with being fed the same food on large tables shared with strangers as I was as child at Bognor Regis, Skegness, Filey etc. Perhaps that’s why I prefer eating with my partner or only with very close friends.  

We agree with your comments and prefer just tables for two as you do. And I don't mean like those on the Arcadia that are classed as side by side but with about an inch between them. How they can be classed as tables for two is something even a politician would have trouble explaining. And I don't understand why they don't occasionally use any empty tables available in the club dining restaurant to seat freedom dining guests like we've seen Celebrity do at times. Also even use tables for four occasionally as tables for two as other lines do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hols4 said:

Hols4

Love your comments Andy hope you are on our table one night. Just  come off of Aurora on Sunday and we asked for the same table for 6 every night as we like liked the waiter who was efficient and very witty.

We noticed they were putting only 2 people on a table for 4 every night I presume to save people waiting.One evening a couple were complaining that the table was too big and caused a fuss demanding to be moved to a small table, no pleasing some people.

It would be a pleasure to be in your company. 

So far, we have managed to make friends with everyone we have dined with. We are pretty easy going people who can adapt to most company and would not deliberately offend anyone. 

We always end up having a good laugh with our table mates, whatever their class or background. 

Andy 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Same here Andy, that's why it is sometimes a surprise when folk are so difficult.  However, Freedom is good for us.

You too would be very welcome at our table Jean. 

We are gonna need a bigger table... 😊

Fortunately, we haven't had the really difficult ones yet. 

We have had the moaners and the braggers, but they are usually OK when they realise I really don't give a stuff and just want us all to enjoy our holiday, whichever way we choose to do that. 

Andy 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 11:56 AM, RoseGab123 said:

Would appreciate some advise. We are sailing on Ventura soon and have freedom dining. After an unpleasant experience on sharing a table a few years ago, we would like to dine on a table for two whenever possible. Any advise on the best time to go to dinner?

Go 30 to 45 minutes before they close the doors, so between 8:45 to 9:15 pm. Never had a problem getting a table then.

8 hours ago, Hols4 said:

Hols4

Love your comments Andy hope you are on our table one night. Just  come off of Aurora on Sunday and we asked for the same table for 6 every night as we like liked the waiter who was efficient and very witty.

We noticed they were putting only 2 people on a table for 4 every night I presume to save people waiting.One evening a couple were complaining that the table was too big and caused a fuss demanding to be moved to a small table, no pleasing some people.

That is ridiculous. I wonder what they would have said if told to wait 45 mins for a smaller table?

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

But I can see major problems with "booking" for Freedom Dining.  Firstly, it goes against the whole concept of Freedom Dining.  I can see people booking for a certain time and not turning up, so the table is ready, those who haven't booked have to wait because bookers are late or don't turn up at all.  It works fine the way it is.

Why does making a reservation go against Freedom dining. Don't you make a reservation at a time of your choice ashore? Freedom dining to me, as I mentioned means you have the "Freedom" to dine at an alternative time of your choosing against the times set by the cruise line for early and late seating. Yes, people may book and not turn up, but as at land based restaurants, you are told that if you don't turn up within a specified number of minutes after your reservation time, the table is released and becomes available for someone else. I disagree that if P&O have to resort to handing out pagers where people have to wait 30-40 minutes, it isn't working. 

The issue here is that only a few have sailed on other lines and experienced how they handle "Freedom" dining, where many don't have to resort to handing out pagers (they do have them on Norwegian but I've rarely seen them used except at lunch for one of the most popular complimentary venues on a sea day). There maybe lines, but they move quickly in my experience even for those who do not have reservations.

Edited by peteukmcr

2 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Why does making a reservation go against Freedom dining. Don't you make a reservation at a time of your choice ashore? Freedom dining to me, as I mentioned means you have the "Freedom" to dine at an alternative time of your choosing against the times set by the cruise line for early and late seating. Yes, people may book and not turn up, but as at land based restaurants, you are told that if you don't turn up within a specified number of minutes after your reservation time, the table is released and becomes available for someone else. I disagree that if P&O have to resort to handing out pagers where people have to wait 30-40 minutes, it isn't working. 

The issue here is that only a few have sailed on other lines and experienced how they handle "Freedom" dining, where many don't have to resort to handing out pagers (they do have them on Norwegian but I've rarely seen them used except at lunch for one of the most popular complimentary venues on a sea day). There maybe lines, but they move quickly in my experience even for those who do not have reservations.

On Ventura we waited up to an hour for a table for 2 and when our buzzer went off we were shown to our table and there was several empty tables as shown in my photo.

These tables were empty for at least another 30 minutes after we sat down.

IMG_20190823_194623.jpg

We prefer a table for two, and we are not anti social, but at larger tables we found that the waiters waited for every one to arrive before taking the orders  and some people who had finished their dinner felt that they had to sit on until everyone was ready to leave the table.    Also we have noticed at larger tables you find one or two people with the loudest voices dominating the conversation. We also dine quite late and then we head to the theatre just in time for the last show,we can get up and go without waiting for others who are content to sit on and listen to their own voices.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

On Ventura we waited up to an hour for a table for 2 and when our buzzer went off we were shown to our table and there was several empty tables as shown in my photo.

These tables were empty for at least another 30 minutes after we sat down.

IMG_20190823_194623.jpg

This proves my point that P&O are very inept at managing the “Freedom” dining concept. There is no way on all the other lines we sail on that tables would be left vacant. Just shows to me that P&O can’t or won’t manage a flexible dining concept efficiently. They’ll have to step up their game on Iona. 

15 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

You too would be very welcome at our table Jean. 

We are gonna need a bigger table... 😊

Fortunately, we haven't had the really difficult ones yet. 

We have had the moaners and the braggers, but they are usually OK when they realise I really don't give a stuff and just want us all to enjoy our holiday, whichever way we choose to do that. 

Andy 

OK,Mr popular.Remembering you asked us first,where are we sitting.

Screenshot_2019-11-08 state dinner table - Google Search.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

This proves my point that P&O are very inept at managing the “Freedom” dining concept. There is no way on all the other lines we sail on that tables would be left vacant. Just shows to me that P&O can’t or won’t manage a flexible dining concept efficiently. They’ll have to step up their game on Iona. 

Pete, this proves my point that you don't listen, since I have reported twice to you that on our recent RCI cruise there were dozens of vacant tables, all set and ready, whilst outside there long queues at both the reserved and non reserved podiums, and we have experienced similar  long queues on Celebrity as well, and almost every time we requested a table for 2 on Princess (some years ago now I admit) we had to take a pager and were routinely advised of a 30-40 minute wait, although it was usually much less.

For us the current system that P&O operate is the best we have experienced, especially as we now always share a table for 6 or 8,  however if you can persuade P&O to increase the number of 2 tops then that would also be fine for me, BUT from my observations P&O already have as many 2 tops in their MDR's as RCI, Celebrity and Princess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Pete, this proves my point that you don't listen, since I have reported twice to you that on our recent RCI cruise there were dozens of vacant tables, all set and ready, whilst outside there long queues at both the reserved and non reserved podiums, and we have experienced similar  long queues on Celebrity as well, and almost every time we requested a table for 2 on Princess (some years ago now I admit) we had to take a pager and were routinely advised of a 30-40 minute wait, although it was usually much less.

For us the current system that P&O operate is the best we have experienced, especially as we now always share a table for 6 or 8,  however if you can persuade P&O to increase the number of 2 tops then that would also be fine for me, BUT from my observations P&O already have as many 2 tops in their MDR's as RCI, Celebrity and Princess.

I am sorting out a table for about 40 John, you and Pete are both welcome but I will sit you at opposite ends.... 😊

Joking aside, this just shows how we can perceive things differently. 

We all enjoy our cruises in our own way and that's how it should always be. 

Andy 

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

I am sorting out a table for about 40 John, you and Pete are both welcome but I will sit you at opposite ends.... 😊

Joking aside, this just shows how we can perceive things differently. 

We all enjoy our cruises in our own way and that's how it should always be. 

Andy 

Can you organise a cluster of about half a dozen 6/8 tops instead, you don't really want and Pete and I trying to hold a conversation at long distance!:classic_rolleyes:

But you are of course correct that the odd bad experience, or bad cruise, does tend to influence us far more than the myriad little good experiences. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

A hot air thread maybe, but although we like a table for two on our cruises because in real life time together is limited,  I would be more than happy to share a table with the three banterers.  Good senses of humour and good fun I think!!

I never advocate that larger tables are the best, they just currently work for us, but mainly because of the fantastic people we have had the pleasure to share with. 

If a table for 2 works for you, then stick to it. 

I think Michelle gets sick of my voice and likes to share the burden... 😊

Andy 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I never advocate that larger tables are the best, they just currently work for us, but mainly because of the fantastic people we have had the pleasure to share with. 

If a table for 2 works for you, then stick to it. 

I think Michelle gets sick of my voice and likes to share the burden... 😊

Andy 

We always like a table for 2 but would happily share a table with you and Michelle.

Graham.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We always like a table for 2 but would happily share a table with you and Michelle.

Graham.

Graham - isn'tit the point that, because you want a table for two, you will never have the joy of sharing a table with Andy and Michelle.  You are missing so much! 

I might also add, that, by not sharing a table you will miss the opportunity of hearing my four jokes, one of which  involves impersonating an elephant ! Such laughs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Graham - isn'tit the point that, because you want a table for two, you will never have the joy of sharing a table with Andy and Michelle.  You are missing so much! 

I might also add, that, by not sharing a table you will miss the opportunity of hearing my four jokes, one of which  involves impersonating an elephant ! Such laughs!

Hi Wowzz.

We have shared tables many times in 52 cruises but prefer just the 2 of us now as we prefer a quicker dining experience but still chat to people either side of us.

I have been in sales for 44 years so used to talking to people every day as is Pauline.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Actually I read these threads, not listen and you can report your experiences as much as you like and I’ll still disagree with you because you obviously don’t read what I have stated which is on over 21 sailings with RCI I haven’t witnessed what you have reported. 

• Like 1