Off-menu in MDR?

Underwatr

On 9/21/2019 at 7:36 PM, Mikew0805 said:

I have ordered off menu a few times in advance. However, it is a menu item from another night. We have had cruises where we had carrot cake every night for dessert. Also, on the first night I ask for savory bites and onion rolls, which used to be in the bread basket, but are not any longer. We had them every night after I asked. The worst that can happen is they say no... Might as well ask. 

Can't beat the savory bites. Always our go to order the first night as well, we then get them every night on the table after. I wish they were just always in the bread basket- but this is a great little secret to get the best bread on the ship.

I am a fan of cold soups, which most cruise line have stopped serving. 

first night on Allure of the Seas I asked the head waiter

to ask the chef if he could make them for me. Next nine nights they freshly made different cold soups. Melon,peach,strawberry,blueberry, cucumber, etc.

All were delicious. Just ask politely. Asked for double kids banana split for adult, no problem.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gdy0354 said:

I am a fan of cold soups, which most cruise line have stopped serving. 

first night on Allure of the Seas I asked the head waiter

to ask the chef if he could make them for me. Next nine nights they freshly made different cold soups. Melon,peach,strawberry,blueberry, cucumber, etc.

All were delicious. Just ask politely. Asked for double kids banana split for adult, no problem.

I've always wanted to venture into the cold soup world, maybe this is a perfect opportunity to taste test a few. When on vacation might as well try new things 😋

On allure they had beef tenderloin on same night as lobster night .

I asked our server for two tails along with the beef for a surf and turf .

He brought the plate with the beef , my wife took the veggies and I took the beef .

He had also brought the two lobster tails with the sides on another plate .

They will accomodate you as best as they can .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimnbigd said:

Only off-menu for me is asking for bearnaise sauce on my steak. FYI: You can also order off the kids menu. It has some pretty good items, including a banana split (really sliced bananas and ice cream, but tasty).

20190219_091027.jpg

On 9/21/2019 at 8:26 PM, Underwatr said:

Hi, everyone. We'll be cruising on Freedom of the Seas (first RCCL cruise although I have about 15 cruises on other lines). I've been watching YouTube videos to become more familiar with Freedom and with Royal Caribbean in general.

In one particular video the person mentions being able to make off-menu requests in the main dining room. He begins by saying "If you have any dietary restrictions don't hesitate to make them known..." but eventually he mentions that anyone can order anything within reason with some advance warning, for example he sometimes orders something like an Indian curry (with 24 hours notice) because he likes a good curry and they're happy to oblige.

Is this true? Does it require an extraordinary relationship with the head waiter?

Was this guy being over-optimistic?

I can only eat Gluten free and I nearly always am able to order off menu,not an tire meal but some things.

We were on Symphony last month.  One night early on, DH asked about Indian food.  The waiter (who was from India) was pleased to look into what the  Indian items were for that night.  Each night afterwards, he had fresh pappadams for us, and he would tell us the several curry items available (and roti was also an option).  I asked if these dishes were from the crews' mess, and he said no.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:21 PM, ashleyhaugh said:

We'll be on Grandeur next summer.. I'll have to see if I can get some Indian food... I love it, but no one else in my family does, so more often than not, I settle for something frozen from Trader Joe's

We got it almost every night on Grandeur last month, it was delicious!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 7:51 AM, Host Clarea said:

Jewel actually has an Indian menu that changes nightly, but you have to know to ask for it.

They actually have a 3 course menu separate on the table with Indian dishes, it was amazing.  I was hoping more ships did this, or is this just a Jewel thing?

1 minute ago, CruiseMelissa said:

They actually have a 3 course menu separate on the table with Indian dishes, it was amazing.  I was hoping more ships did this, or is this just a Jewel thing?

I've only seen a formal nightly Indian menu on Jewel.

We were on the Liberty in August. My wife told an officer at the MDR lunch salad bar a story about a bad waiter experience we had on MSC. On the Poesia, a waiter told my wife that they were out of pistachio ice cream, but she saw waiter after waiter bringing out pistachio ice cream to the other tables. When she called the waiter on it, he then said he only said that because the ice cream was frozen and it hurt his hands to scoop it. He then brought her the ice cream.

The Liberty officer was shocked to hear that. Soon after, my wife wanted mushrooms for her salad, but surprisingly, the only mushrooms were at the pasta station. When she asked the officer about mushrooms for the salad, the officer joked that "they were out of mushrooms" and then got her some mushrooms. She also asked my wife what our stateroom number was.

That night, the Headwaiter mentioned that my wife liked mushrooms, and he had a bowl of sautéed mushrooms brought to our table every night for the rest of the cruise.

Steve

Just now, red-dragon said:

Hi @Sea Dog

I find they tasted like mini bagel bites with poppy seeds on top.  Here is an old picture of them 😊

I will try these as they look very interesting. Some like them others hate them but I'm willing to give it a go. I like softer rolls better than hard. Thanks for the picture.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I will try these as they look very interesting. Some like them others hate them but I'm willing to give it a go. I like softer rolls better than hard. Thanks for the picture.

My pleasure!  I personally didn't like them, and found them hard, but they are very popular, so definitely give them a try!  The rolls in the MDR for lunch on sea days were quite good, and came with olive tapenade spread.  More pictures attached (but again, they're old).  Have you tried the Austrian Strietzel bread?  It was our absolute favorite.  Kind of like a soft challah bread with cranberries and raisins.  My husband hates dried fruit but it was his favorite bread.

DSCF3630.JPG

DSCF1913.JPG

DSCF3867.JPG