Off-menu in MDR?

Underwatr

Hi, everyone. We'll be cruising on Freedom of the Seas (first RCCL cruise although I have about 15 cruises on other lines). I've been watching YouTube videos to become more familiar with Freedom and with Royal Caribbean in general.

In one particular video the person mentions being able to make off-menu requests in the main dining room. He begins by saying "If you have any dietary restrictions don't hesitate to make them known..." but eventually he mentions that anyone can order anything within reason with some advance warning, for example he sometimes orders something like an Indian curry (with 24 hours notice) because he likes a good curry and they're happy to oblige.

Is this true? Does it require an extraordinary relationship with the head waiter?

Was this guy being over-optimistic?

I have ordered off menu a few times in advance. However, it is a menu item from another night. We have had cruises where we had carrot cake every night for dessert. Also, on the first night I ask for savory bites and onion rolls, which used to be in the bread basket, but are not any longer. We had them every night after I asked. The worst that can happen is they say no... Might as well ask. 

• Like 2

If you want a curry, don't hesitate to ask.  Often the waiter will offer two curries that are available.  If available, the fish curry is really good:  Well, it has been when I've had it but it may vary from ship-to-ship.  I've asked for butter chicken as well:  not a same day request.

Same goes for veggies.  If you pick an entrée but see a vegetable included with a different entrée, you can ask for it.  I've also asked for a veggie (often asparagus) when it doesn't appear anywhere on the menu and have had it brought out.

I have accidentally ordered off menu twice. On the first cruise without Savory Bites, I asked if they didn't have them every night any more. The waiter acted like it was a mistake and every night after I had Savory Bites siting on the table when I showed up. On my last cruise I asked what night Orange Sherbet night was, and the waiter said "Thursday" on Thursday he came very apologetic and told me that they got to many requests for different sherbets and the chief denied them, I had no idea it was a special request until then. 

I do order dessert off the kids menu most nights, brownie sunday, mmm.

1 hour ago, barb in ga said:

We also asked for Savory Bites(small triangular poppy seed rolls) and had them for the rest of the cruise. You can order ice cream(one scoop or two) with berries, and my favorite chilled fruit soup--peach.

Barb

Are those rolls soft or hard?

We also always ask for Savoury bites the first night and have a plate full of them waiting every night thereafter. Other things I often request are extra veg, a side salad, Indian dishes and Pistachio ice cream. If they can do it they will. I once asked if they had any garlic mayonnaise to go with the breaded mushrooms. Sure enough some appeared , our waiter told me someone had been up to Izumi to fetch fresh garlic to make it. 

9 minutes ago, amzgirl said:

What a great thread.  Didn't know you could do this!  My hubby would love a curry, saving this bit of info for our cruise coming up.

Jewel actually has an Indian menu that changes nightly, but you have to know to ask for it.

You can definitely get some awesome off-menu food if you ask.  There are a lot of Filipino and Indian crew, so those are definite possibilities.  I've asked and have had both chicken & pork adobo, Filipino menudo, sinagang, pancit bihon, bangus and a variety of Indian curries pulled from the crew mess.  The same kitchens are cranking out the crew's food, so it's not a wild request.  I don't ask for anything specific; I just ask if there are any Filipino or Indian options.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, all.

So it sounds like it's possible after sitting down and reviewing the menu to ask about any Filipino or Indian dishes. No advance ordering needed for that (and I wouldn't really plan to ask for anything requiring special prep, just more variety).

Sort of related:

Are there "always available" items? For example, Holland America has an Always Available section of the menu and Cunard has items that you pretty much have to know about to order (Caesar Salad, shrimp cocktail, steak, chicken, salmon, vegetable plate). I think they have them on a printed always available menu but again, unless you ask or the waiter volunteers, a diner may not be aware.

The Royal Caribbean dinner menus I've looked at don't appear to have an "always available" section. Are there items one can order if you know about them?

1 minute ago, Underwatr said:

Sort of related:

Are there "always available" items? For example, Holland America has an Always Available section of the menu and Cunard has items that you pretty much have to know about to order (Caesar Salad, shrimp cocktail, steak, chicken, salmon, vegetable plate). I think they have them on a printed always available menu but again, unless you ask or the waiter volunteers, a diner may not be aware.

The Royal Caribbean dinner menus I've looked at don't appear to have an "always available" section. Are there items one can order if you know about them?

Yes they have a section that’s always available. It’s the same on every menu.

enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I've never had a problem with anything I've asked for and here is a couple of personal examples :

1 - when ordering prawns/shrimp cocktail I prefer the slightly pinker 'prawn cocktail' sauce over the more 'red' shrimp sauce found pretty much everywhere in the US. A fair proportion of the time they have it ( I guess when there's a lot of Brits onboard?), but knowing also how to make it myself, it's been known to pass on the ingredients and before you know it someone's gone to the trouble to knock a bowl of it up ready! It's then been available for the rest of the cruise.

2 - i absolutely adore pistachio ice cream, and although it's available sometimes as a particular days' choice, i ask for it on day 1 and they generally always come up trumps! 

My advice is such - if you don't ask, then you won't get! 

Happy Cruising

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, atush said:

Pink?  Marie Rose, yuk. Ketchup and mayo so you can make it yourself or ask for it.

Red?  Cocktail sauce which is in general, ketchup lemon juice and horseradish.  Superior.

See, it's not mayo that makes a decent sauce, it's salad cream and a bit of Worcester for the slight 'kick' - but horseradish, well that's just plain spoiling the prawns themselves 😂  

5 minutes ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

See, it's not mayo that makes a decent sauce, it's salad cream and a bit of Worcester for the slight 'kick' - but horseradish, well that's just plain spoiling the prawns themselves 😂  

You'd hate my cocktail sauce.  It's 90% freshly-grated horseradish and a direct punch-in-the-face with it :-P.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2