Chase Sapphire card for trip insurance?

FirstTeacher

I’ve noticed many people on CC mentioning their use of the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Select card to cover their need for trip cancellation/interruption insurance. I’m thinking of ordering one specifically for that coverage. I realize that the Preferred card doesn’t cover medical, so I would get separate coverage for that. What has been your experience? Is it worth the $95 fee?

It’s the best non-premium card available. The $95 fee is well worth the expense. To get a better or more advantageous card, you would need to consider cards with yearly fees in the $500 range. 

This link has a great summary of the features

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/lesser-known-sapphire-benefits/

Edited by Jeremiah1212

Had the Preferred card from years with benefits of points and cancellation. Being retired and traveling more, we elected for the Reserve card with more point value, Global/TSA, evacuation., and what we use a lot is the Priority pass card.

Cost is 450 but the first 300 is a travel credit , so true cost is 150.

We use 58 dollars every time we flight out of our local airport with the Priority card.

• Like 2

I highly recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. When I first heard of it the $450 annual fee scared me off. Once I researched it though I found out it really isn’t $450 because I get credited back $300 in travel charges. This can be cruises, airfare, hotels, Uber, highway tolls etc. 

So really just $150 and there are many benefits that make it worth it:

- credit toward TSA precheck or global entry

- primary insurance for car rentals

- travel insurance for trip delays and cancellation 

- travel medical & evacuation insurance

- bonus sign up points 

- 3x points for restaurants and travel

- when points are redeemed they are worth 50% more 

- points from one of their other cards can be combined. I use chase freedom unlimited for all purchases I can (except for travel/ restaurants) getting 1.5 points for those that I then move over to my Sapphire reserve account balance

I don’t buy trip cancelation insurance anymore (there are pre-existing condition exclusions but I’m ok with that). I do though buy an additional medical policy to supplement because their medical coverage is low, but typically costs me less than $70 

I never played the credit card point game but the last 2 years it has saved me so much money. And I don’t travel for work or anything like that. For example, on our Nov transatlantic we are staying 7 nites pre-cruise at a nice hotel in Barcelona with breakfast included for free! We are then staying 2 nights after in San Juan on the ocean at LaConcha with points! 

I learned so much about all this from these boards so always eager to pass it on. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, M&M cruiseaholics said:

I used my Chase/AAdvantage credit card for a few years now to utilize the free travel insurance.  I would buy a separate policy for the medical.  However, Chase will no longer offer this benefit starting in November.  Bummer.

Is this going away on ALL Chase cards or only the AAdvantage one? 

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

I thought it was the Citi cards that were doing away with the travel insurance? LuAnn

Citi just removed most travel insurance benefits from all of its cards. This has left Chase (Sapphire Preferred and Reserve) as the cream of the crop in this regard, though Amex will be announcing new travel insurance benefits for it's premium cards (Platinum, Hilton Aspire, Delta Reserve, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant) next week. Stay tuned.

11 hours ago, FirstTeacher said:

I’ve noticed many people on CC mentioning their use of the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Select card to cover their need for trip cancellation/interruption insurance. I’m thinking of ordering one specifically for that coverage. I realize that the Preferred card doesn’t cover medical, so I would get separate coverage for that. What has been your experience? Is it worth the $95 fee?

I have to agree with the others who have recommended the Chase Sapphire RESERVE over the PREFERRED.  The $450 annual fee seems crazy until you realize you get $300 back as a credit so you really only play $150.  Plus, the travel insurance is awesome -- as others have noted I no longer buy straight travel insurance -- so they savings there are far more than the annual fee.  You should visit the website to see all the benefits. https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 2

No

4 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I wrote about the great insurance benefits of the Ritz Carlton credit card, but it is no longer taking new applications.   The AmEx travel insurance benefits starts on 1/1/20.

Not surprised.  When we canceled our Platinum card and got a Sapphire Reserve, the AMEX folks asked us why?  I explained that we could not resist the $10,000 travel insurance and Primary domestic rental car insurance benefits offered by chase not to mention the terrific deals when using points for hotels.  When AMEX raised the Platinum to $550 and tossed in Uber...I told them they could keep the Uber benefit and give me back my $100 :).   The irony was that we had a major travel medical emergency the first year we got the Chase card and they did pay us $10,000 which sure helped defray our losses.

We know several others who dumped their Platinum card and switched to Chase Sapphire Reserve.  AMEX must have finally become tired of hearing all the complaints about the lack of decent travel insurance on a high end card.

Hank

The main value of the Platinum card is the Delta sky lounge access.  They also offer twice a year $50 statement credits to Saks Fifth Avenue - almost the cost of a box of three huge Bulgari soaps.  Now they are offering a $100 statement credit on a stay in a higher level Marriott hotel.  When you combine it with the $200 airline credits (good for change fees, seat upgrades, baggage fees), UBER credits of $150 and soon to be travel insurance, this is the card for frequent Delta travelers. 

22 hours ago, M&M cruiseaholics said:

I used my Chase/AAdvantage credit card for a few years now to utilize the free travel insurance.  I would buy a separate policy for the medical.  However, Chase will no longer offer this benefit starting in November.  Bummer.

You have a Citi/AA card.  It is Citi changing benefits. There is not a Chase AA card. 

38 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

The main value of the Platinum card... Now they are offering a $100 statement credit on a stay in a higher level Marriott hotel.

This is not a regular benefit of the Platinum card. Perhaps you're referring to one of the targeted Amex Offers.

Edited by RichYak

Chase Reserve all the way for anyone who travels, which you clearly do since posting on a cruise board. Sapphire = 95 annual fee with only double points on food / travel. Reserve = 150 annual fee (450-300)  (300 travel credit which would be almost impossible not to get). Plus a slew over other perks such as global entry, priority pass, better travel insurance etc.  Just the triple points alone will make up the 55 dollar difference. One time in an airport priority pass club with a few snacks and drinks easily covers the 55 also. Go for the reserve.

Edited by tbenson81
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 11:17 AM, tbenson81 said:

Chase Reserve all the way for anyone who travels, which you clearly do since posting on a cruise board. Sapphire = 95 annual fee with only double points on food / travel. Reserve = 150 annual fee (450-300)  (300 travel credit which would be almost impossible not to get). Plus a slew over other perks such as global entry, priority pass, better travel insurance etc.  Just the triple points alone will make up the 55 dollar difference. One time in an airport priority pass club with a few snacks and drinks easily covers the 55 also. Go for the reserve.

Hands down...Best Chase card!!!