Chase Sapphire card for trip insurance?

FirstTeacher

54 minutes ago, varoo said:

Does the Chase Reserve card insurance cover you wherever you go, or only at places specifically booked and paid for with that card?

You must have charged at least a portion on the card.

4 hours ago, varoo said:

Does the Chase Reserve card insurance cover you wherever you go, or only at places specifically booked and paid for with that card?

The coverage is only for expenses charged on the card (up to $10,000....and sometimes double that amount).

Hank

Thank you wrk2cruise, Jammu2, and Hlitner.

I downloaded the pdf  and the emergency evacuation coverage looked good, but not the Emergency Medical and Dental Benefit, which is very disappointing. 

Clearly this is not intended to be used as anyone's primary medical coverage when traveling.

It says:

This benefit applies when You use Your Account to pay for a Trip via a Common Carrier that is greater than five (5) consecutive days but less than sixty (60) consecutive days, and is in excess of one hundred (100) miles* from Your place of Residence. You will be eligible to receive up to a maximum of two thousand five hundred ($2,500.00) dollars (subject to a fifty ($50.00) dollardeductible) for medical expenses not paid or payable by Your medical insurance or other reimbursement incurred as a result of Emergency Treatment of a sickness or accidental injury occurring during the course of Your Trip. 

We have the Sapphire card and tried to use it for a cancelled tour after a hospitalization the day before departure.  Long story short..they make it so difficult that I finally just gave up. On a complex claim, you always have the wrong documentation and you can never talk to anyone in person. The company that handles the insurance for Chase is very difficult to work with.

I suspect that if you have a simple claim like a single flight booked solely with the card and a very clean cancelation like weather, then you are probably ok. But a combination of air and land and other things really makes it a battle....that you will lose. 

And when you call Chase to complain about the insurance company, your call is routed right back to the insurance company. 

You can also upgrade from Chase preferred to reserve. You cannot have both at the same time so you either have to cancel preferred (use your points before canceling or you lose them) or if you upgrade you can transfer your preferred points to reserve but are not eligible for the 50,000 new customer bonus on reserve. Make sure you understand before cancelling/transferring cards.  PS you can also downgrade back if you want to for some reason.

i agree that the Reserve pays for itself even if you only take one large trip per year. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 5:53 PM, JFontaine said:

I wrote about the great insurance benefits of the Ritz Carlton credit card, but it is no longer taking new applications.   The AmEx travel insurance benefits starts on 1/1/20.

Do you know what the Amex travel benefits will be?

1 hour ago, Caroldoll said:

The rumor is that they are not as good as the Chase Reserve benefits. Requires round trip air booked on the card.  If you already have an AMEX the new benefits might keep you paying the annual fee. But that’s the rumor.  Have to read the actual.  

Edited by Charles4515

It should be noted that the Sapphire reserve card’s medical cancellation benefit does not have a pre-existing medical condition exclusion, if that matters to you. However, the look back period is not onerous (I forget what it is exactly, but remember it wasn’t horrendously long).

3 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

There is a you tube guy ...channel is Ask Sebby... who has made some predictions on what Amex will be doing.  He is really credit card savvy and a point hound.  So far, his rec is Chase Reserve over Amex. 

FWIW... I have had the Chase Sapphire Reserve for about a year and half.  I have gotten my moneys worth out of it, using it for farm business expenses initially to meet the minimum spend for initial bonus (free/using points for first class airfare on this next cruise!) Added TSA Precheck and using for my travel insurance.

I also have the regular Chase Unlimited that I've had for over 10 years and it gets quarterly 5% bonus categories that you can transfer those points to the CSR for a higher usage value.  There are also other options besides the higher %s for dining/travel.  Example:  I like to shop online at Sams (free shipping) and have the heavy stuff delivered to my door (cat food).  By going through the Chase bonus shopping link, I earn an extra % on top of the regular. 

-Penny Pincher 😉

On 9/27/2019 at 2:28 AM, varoo said:

Thank you wrk2cruise, Jammu2, and Hlitner.

I downloaded the pdf  and the emergency evacuation coverage looked good, but not the Emergency Medical and Dental Benefit, which is very disappointing. 

Clearly this is not intended to be used as anyone's primary medical coverage when traveling.

It says:

This benefit applies when You use Your Account to pay for a Trip via a Common Carrier that is greater than five (5) consecutive days but less than sixty (60) consecutive days, and is in excess of one hundred (100) miles* from Your place of Residence. You will be eligible to receive up to a maximum of two thousand five hundred ($2,500.00) dollars (subject to a fifty ($50.00) dollardeductible) for medical expenses not paid or payable by Your medical insurance or other reimbursement incurred as a result of Emergency Treatment of a sickness or accidental injury occurring during the course of Your Trip. 

We completely agree.  In fact, we have been careful when posting on CC to not mention Chase having any kind of medical benefit.   One would be foolish to rely on that Chase Medical Benefit as their only medical coverage.  Personally we like using our Chase card in conjunction with purchasing an annual travel medical policy from GeoBlue.  The combination of the benefits works well for us (this will not be true for everyone) and covers all of our trips throughout the entire year without us ever buying relatively expensive Trip Insurance.   The big negative on the Chase coverage is that it is generally only going to cover $10,000 and many of us take trips that far exceed that coverage.  In our case we simply choose to self-insure any overage.  We have previously posted that over the years we have saved in excess of $100,000 by NOT purchasing trip insurance.  The Chase cancellation/interruption coverage also has a lot of "fine print" conditions so folks need to carefully read that stuff.  The Chase card coverage is NOT "cancel for any reason" coverage.  The reasons that you can use to seek reimbursement are very limited and (trust me) Chase is very careful to make sure that claimants meet their requirements.  On the other hand, DW and I are eternally grateful to Chase for offering that coverage.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 10:55 AM, JFontaine said:

The main value of the Platinum card is the Delta sky lounge access.  They also offer twice a year $50 statement credits to Saks Fifth Avenue - almost the cost of a box of three huge Bulgari soaps.  Now they are offering a $100 statement credit on a stay in a higher level Marriott hotel.  When you combine it with the $200 airline credits (good for change fees, seat upgrades, baggage fees), UBER credits of $150 and soon to be travel insurance, this is the card for frequent Delta travelers. 

We liked their Delta lounge access a lot more before they started charging a fee for a spouse/partner.  When we dumped our Platinum Card we carefully looked at our usage of both the Delta Sky Lounges and the Centurion Lounges.  I think if we routinely used an airport with a Centurion Lounge we would have kept the card.  The Sky Lounge benefit was fine when we used it, but it still cost us $29 (for my wife).  In many airports there are also other lounges that can be used with the Priority Pass Benefit (covered by both the Chase and AMEX cards) and the Priority Pass benefit covers my wife.  

Another huge issue (for me) when comparing the cards is the fact that Chase's rental car waiver coverage is Primary in the USA.  I do frequently rent cars and this Primary coverage is a strong draw since it saves folks from having to file a claim with their own auto insurance carrier which can result in increased auto insurance premiums.   Even the optional extra coverage (for a fee) offered by AMEX is NOT primary coverage in the USA.

The truth about the Chase Sapphire Reserve card is that it only costs us $130 a year.  The reason is that we get a $300 travel credit plus it pays my Global Entry fee (which works out to $20 per year).  

There have also been some rumors that Chase is going to reduce their benefits...so we are always watching :).  But as of now we think it is the best high-end travel/credit card in the business.   

Hank

On 9/27/2019 at 2:28 AM, varoo said:

Be aware that their evacuation coverage only applies IF they preapprove it and make the arrangements.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:07 AM, pretzlaff said:

We have the Sapphire card and tried to use it for a cancelled tour after a hospitalization the day before departure.  Long story short..they make it so difficult that I finally just gave up. On a complex claim, you always have the wrong documentation and you can never talk to anyone in person. The company that handles the insurance for Chase is very difficult to work with.

I suspect that if you have a simple claim like a single flight booked solely with the card and a very clean cancelation like weather, then you are probably ok. But a combination of air and land and other things really makes it a battle....that you will lose. 

And when you call Chase to complain about the insurance company, your call is routed right back to the insurance company. 

We had a claim due to hospitalization as well.  It was an extremely frustrating experience, but did finally get reimbursed.  I think they try to wear you down by requesting the same information many times... hoping you will finally give up.  It took me almost 3 months to finally get my money.  

I think the best marriage is the Reserve card for its benfits and then Chase Unlimited Freedom for everyday use. They transfer those points into Ultimate Rewards to get the upgrade value.

Second using Geoblue for medical coverage.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

I think the best marriage is the Reserve card for its benfits and then Chase Unlimited Freedom for everyday use. They transfer those points into Ultimate Rewards to get the upgrade value.

Second using Geoblue for medical coverage.

Who is Geoblue?  

Just be forewarned. chase doesn’t cover preexisting conditions.

What’s Not Covered

This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:

• Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
  • Change in plans or financial circumstances
  • A pre-existing condition
  • Traveling against the advice of a physician
  • A declared or undeclared war
  • Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered

22 hours ago, sunonfire said:

Just be forewarned. chase doesn’t cover preexisting conditions.

What’s Not Covered

This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:

• Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
  • Change in plans or financial circumstances
  • A pre-existing condition
  • Traveling against the advice of a physician
  • A declared or undeclared war
  • Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered

I just called Chase all my pre-existing conditions that I take meds. and under care for are covered. You can call 1888-320 9961 to verify your coverage. If you incur a new injury or illness in the prior 60 days to booking a trip then that's considered a pre-existing condition. I hope this helps understand the pre-existing wording.

Edited by weregoingcruising
add words

I'm looking at the card benefits. How does redeeming the points work? The cards I have now just accumulate cash back and deposit the cash in your account. My next trip was booked air and hotel with a TA because I was able to get a much better deal than booking them separately. Would I be able to book a trip like that with the points or do I have to book through their platform? Any "bundle" deals or is it just straight rack rate for plane tickets and rooms?

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I'm looking at the card benefits. How does redeeming the points work? The cards I have now just accumulate cash back and deposit the cash in your account. My next trip was booked air and hotel with a TA because I was able to get a much better deal than booking them separately. Would I be able to book a trip like that with the points or do I have to book through their platform? Any "bundle" deals or is it just straight rack rate for plane tickets and rooms?

You can use the Chase Sapphire points to book hotels, flights, trip packages, etc through their website; if necessary, you can combine points and new credit card charges for payment.  Or, if you prefer, you can have the points deposited as cash back.