What do you LOVE most about HAL

ProfCruise

I just returned from my shortest ever cruise aboard the Eurodam.  And while I wish it had been longer, it served to remind me of all the things I love about Holland America - things that really set it apart from other lines.  I jotted down my top 20 things here.  https://profcruise.com/20-things-i-love-about-holland-america/ Anything you disagree with or that I missed?  What are your favorites?  Booking my next HAL sailing for next summer and already counting down the days!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have never had one iota of bad service on a HAL ship. 

Cleanliness and ship maintenance are other strong points for the line.

We also love the old style promenade decks which are slowly slipping away in the industry.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There still is a lot to like on HAL. Rather than a long list, her's what comes to mind quickly. What I like best depends on the ship. For all ships the crew and service. R and S class, Ocean Bar and its musicians, whatever the current incarnation of the Neptunes is. For Vistas, my favorite class, the spa and those great corner aft balconies. For the K'dam, not much, but I did love the movies by the pool and Lincoln Center Stage.

Many things on your list don't matter to me one way or another. I disagree with only two things. I don't like ATK. I would much prefer programs developed in house, as HAL used to have and Cunard still does. Your mention of a library is amusing considering that your parents were librarians. A cluster of casually arranged books is definitely not my idea of a library. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We have never had one iota of bad service on a HAL ship. 

Cleanliness and ship maintenance are other strong points for the line.

We also love the old style promenade decks which are slowly slipping away in the industry.

LOVE the promenade decks.  Please don't abandon them, HAL! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ProfCruise said:

Bad news is that their 2 newest ships lack the traditional promenade deck, it should be called the lifeboat deck. All the lines have done this, something about SOLAS regulations. I'm  pretty sure that there are no regulations that say you can't have a lifeboat deck and a promenade deck but that would most likely take away revenue space on a ship.

Edited by MISTER 67

I love being able to have my breakfast, lunch, and even the occasional evening meal, outdoors on the back deck.

I also love to play pickleball on the sports deck, something that Holland America seems to be making available on most of its ships.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

That's so disappointing.  I would definitely book one of the older ships with the traditional promenade deck if given a choice.  Will be very sad to see them gradually disappear 😞

Can't read your blog that you linked too easily due to the pictures that block out the text. Weird.

What I DO love about HAL - the crew - everyone from my cabin stewards, MDR waiters, Beverage servers to the people cleaning the railings.  They are all a joy.

I also like itineraries that take me to different places from the standard stops.

I don't care for ATK but different strokes for different folks and if I don't like it, no one is making me go 😉 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, daisy-mae said:

I love being able to have my breakfast, lunch, and even the occasional evening meal, outdoors on the back deck.

I also love to play pickleball on the sports deck, something that Holland America seems to be making available on most of its ships.

That's a great tip about the aft deck.  On embarkation day on my last cruise, while the Lido buffet was packed inside, I was literally the only person eating outside on the aft deck.  It was a bit chilly in Seattle, mind you, but such a nice quiet spot with fresh air and a great view. 

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Can't read your blog that you linked too easily due to the pictures that block out the text. Weird.

What I DO love about HAL - the crew - everyone from my cabin stewards, MDR waiters, Beverage servers to the people cleaning the railings.  They are all a joy.

I also like itineraries that take me to different places from the standard stops.

I don't care for ATK but different strokes for different folks and if I don't like it, no one is making me go 😉 

Sorry about the photos blocking text - must be the browser you're using.  While I do like ATK, it seems we agree on the crew and itineraries.  They really are the best!  

5 minutes ago, ProfCruise said:

That's a great tip about the aft deck.  On embarkation day on my last cruise, while the Lido buffet was packed inside, I was literally the only person eating outside on the aft deck. 

I guess I should have used the proper nautical terminology; the back deck is something that is attached to our house, also a place where I like to spend as much time as possible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ProfCruise said:

Sorry about the photos blocking text - must be the browser you're using.  While I do like ATK, it seems we agree on the crew and itineraries.  They really are the best!  

It's just safari via my Ipad.  It's not usually an issue with blogs.

4 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

I guess I should have used the proper nautical terminology; the back deck is something that is attached to our house, also a place where I like to spend as much time as possible.

I don't care what you call it - if there's a deck to be found, I'm on it!  LOL.  Seems we have that in common!

• Like 1

I love that the feel of a Holland America cruise is still traditional.  I have no desire for waterslides or ice skating rinks on a cruise ship. 

I love the quiet spaces and the thermal spa pool.

Life is chaotic enough.  Getting away on a cruise is the best way I can think of to disconnect and unwind from my crazy world, and HAL fits this bill for us, hands down.

• Like 8

I love the lack of loud noises and confusion on board HAL ships. The music is generally reasonable and not intrusively piped throughout the ship. That's a plus.

Dining outside on the aft deck is really important to us. Most of our meals are eaten out there when we're not in the main dining room or one of the specialty restaurants.

The ease of embarkation is a plus as is the usual trouble free disembarkation. We are often off the ship by 8am on our return.

The general atmosphere of a pleasant calmness on board...supported by a great crew and staff gives one the feeling that being on a HAL ship is a really nice place to be.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Taters said:

I love that the feel of a Holland America cruise is still traditional.  I have no desire for waterslides or ice skating rinks on a cruise ship. 

I love the quiet spaces and the thermal spa pool.

Life is chaotic enough.  Getting away on a cruise is the best way I can think of to disconnect and unwind from my crazy world, and HAL fits this bill for us, hands down.

I completely agree.  I love the calm, relaxed vibe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFD1 said:

I love the lack of loud noises and confusion on board HAL ships. The music is generally reasonable and not intrusively piped throughout the ship. That's a plus.

Dining outside on the aft deck is really important to us. Most of our meals are eaten out there when we're not in the main dining room or one of the specialty restaurants.

The ease of embarkation is a plus as is the usual trouble free disembarkation. We are often off the ship by 8am on our return.

The general atmosphere of a pleasant calmness on board...supported by a great crew and staff gives one the feeling that being on a HAL ship is a really nice place to be.

Ditto to everything you said!

First and foremost would be the inviting outdoor spaces -- to read, to dine, to chill out.  We book verandahs but still spend most of our time outside elsewhere.  I have allergies and live on a canyon, so it is pure heaven drinking in the sea air.

Next would be the crew -- the kindest and most upbeat crew at sea.

Then comes the respect for nautical traditions.  We love hearing the captains' reports at noon and at sailaway.  We know we are on a seagoing journey!

Which leads to the next item:  The journeys!  Interesting and long itineraries -- with adequate time in ports.

And, of course, mention must be made of the lovely dining experience.  We've not sailed on every ship, but most, and have found all of the dining rooms attractive, with adequate space between the tables.  There is always something enjoyable to select from the menu.  We are to be found each evening in the MDR, unless we are celebrating something special in the PG.  And in the mornings, the room service breakfast is always hot and fresh.  But that's just my "thing"; DH really enjoys his mornings on the aft deck.

Those are our main draws, but we do notice and would miss the many little "details," such as flowers throughout the ship, cloth hand towels, mini newspapers!  Lots to like.

• Like 4

For us the serenity of peace listening to the waves and the smell of the ocean air on our balcony!

Our most gracious, caring, devoted, staff

who all make our cruise so wonderful and feel like a family!!The stewards, deck hands, wait staff are the most caring and truly want you to feel at home!

Most of all my sunrises and sunsets on the promenade when we walk! For me Im

one with God. 

Most important being able to be with my best friend (DH) !!

Denise😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1