Using a US credit Card without a PIN

I was reading a travel article and the author indicated that a signature would not be an accepted for charges

but that a PIN would be required.  Our US based credit card company said that PIN’s were only for cash advances 

and they would be charging 27% interest from the date of signature plus additional cash advance fees.  

What has has been your experience? We do not want to carry large amounts of cash to avoid those ridiculous charges.

8 minutes ago, Cobeck1234 said:

I was reading a travel article and the author indicated that a signature would not be an accepted for charges

but that a PIN would be required.  Our US based credit card company said that PIN’s were only for cash advances 

and they would be charging 27% interest from the date of signature plus additional cash advance fees.  

What has has been your experience? We do not want to carry large amounts of cash to avoid those ridiculous charges.

In Australia (almost?) no one signs for credit card purchases. Most now use "Wave" or "Tap and Go" function for purchases up to $100. Over $100 you need to enter your PIN with card inserted in the machine to verify its chip. The last time had to sign for a card purchase was in UK and, before, that USA. PIN is required for ATM cash advances.

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

In Australia (almost?) no one signs for credit card purchases. Most now use "Wave" or "Tap and Go" function for purchases up to $100. Over $100 you need to enter your PIN with card inserted in the machine to verify its chip. The last time had to sign for a card purchase was in UK and, before, that USA. PIN is required for ATM cash advances.

Well said, as they say...'When in Rome....etc, etc.  PIN required for payments over $100.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, Cobeck1234 said:

Thanks.  I will contact the bank.

BTW the two most common cards used here are Visa and Mastercard and, to a lesser extent, Amex but it will often incur an additional charge.

Just now, lyndarra said:

BTW the two most common cards used here are Visa and Mastercard and, to a lesser extent, Amex but it will often incur an additional charge.

Yes American Express usage incurs 4% I believe.

Just now, icat2000 said:

Do they not have those travel cards where you can load money onto them that has a pin in the US?

We have Debit card that would draw funds directly from our checking account.  I am not sure about a travel card.  I will check with my bank tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Cobeck1234 said:

We have Debit card that would draw funds directly from our checking account.  I am not sure about a travel card.  I will check with my bank tomorrow.

If it is a visa or MasterCard debit card you will have no worries as long as you have a PIN, you can still use a signature, but many clerks have no idea and transactions can take much longer while they get a supervisor to process it.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

If it is a visa or MasterCard debit card you will have no worries as long as you have a PIN, you can still use a signature, but many clerks have no idea and transactions can take much longer while they get a supervisor to process it.

My daughter told me that for some reason she had to do an old fashioned transaction a few weeks ago.They found the machine and slips, and the customer had to show her how it operated.

Last time I had to use one was in Japan in 2017

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Does anyone still have a cheque account these days? I had one about 10 years ago and only wrote one cheque a year to pay a club membership until I could do it electronically.

LOL.  Yes, lots of us in US still have them but only rarely write a check.  

Edited by Cobeck1234
Spelling error
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Some day I would love to do a cruise from Portland on American Empress.

We did a portion of this along the Columbia River (a day trip) and it was beautiful.  The Columbia River Gorge is stunning.  

1 hour ago, Cobeck1234 said:

You might want to shop around for a new credit card, especially for international travel. 

We actually use different sets of credit and debit cards for home use and international travel. The international travel cards don't charge foreign transaction fees and have excellent exchange rate, very close to the current Forex rate at the time. Having a separate debit account for cash withdrawals reduces the risk of our main bank account being compromised if the card is skimmed or stolen. 

Our home credit card earns reward points but has really poor exchange rates and foreign transaction fee.

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You might want to shop around for a new credit card, especially for international travel. 

We actually use different sets of credit and debit cards for home use and international travel. The international travel cards don't charge foreign transaction fees and have excellent exchange rate, very close to the current Forex rate at the time. Having a separate debit account for cash withdrawals reduces the risk of our main bank account being compromised if the card is skimmed or stolen. 

Our home credit card earns reward points but has really poor exchange rates and foreign transaction fee.

Our current card is great for international travel.  No foreign transaction fees, good exchange rates and not connected to our bank account but we just don’t have a pin.  Here most signatures are electronic or on the receipt and not every minor purchase requires a signature at all.  We have been all over Europe, Asia and Russia but never needed a PIN but, I will do whatever it takes.  Getting more excited the more plans we make!  

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

It shouldn't be much extra trouble. They don't need the old imprinters.

They'll just swipe the card as normal, then have to sign the bottom of the receipt. No big deal.

That’s basically what we do here in the US.  This may be nothing but didn’t want to get on vacay and not be able to pay for the things we need or want.  Thanks for all the input.

Cash advances with credit cards are not a good idea as you will lose your interest free period. The banks start charging interest not just for the cash advance but on the total credit amount on the card. Consider buying some OBC for on the cruise, this can usually be taken away from the Guest services as it is refundable OBC (just make sure you do take it all off the boat).

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Cash advances with credit cards are not a good idea as you will lose your interest free period. The banks start charging interest not just for the cash advance but on the total credit amount on the card. Consider buying some OBC for on the cruise, this can usually be taken away from the Guest services as it is refundable OBC (just make sure you do take it all off the boat).

For sure don’t ever take a cash advance.  That’s why when my bank said it would be viewed as a cash advance when using a pin for ANY purchase, I started to worry.  We never carry a balance so never have to pay interest but when they start talking 27%.....yikes.   

Everyone has has been so helpful with thoughts and ideas.  Thank you all so much!

13 hours ago, Cobeck1234 said:

We have been all over Europe, Asia and Russia but never needed a PIN but, I will do whatever it takes.

I can't believe you never needed a PIN in Europe😳. The only time I never needed a PIN was in Poland for less than 100zł transactions.

I just want add in case it is an issue for you but in some cases tap and go might incur charges vs inserting the card especially if you are using a debit card. It is rarer these days to incur fees but some places might not have updated their systems so just be aware.

Just insert your card as normal and it will print out a receipt and the cashier will then verify your signature with the one on your card. Depends where you are shopping. In shops or touristy places they are used to this, in other places just say it's an overseas card if they say anything. Sometimes the cashier may be surprised or apologise thinking they keyed something in wrong when the receipt starts to print and says "accepted with signature" on the card terminal.  Aussies can't use a pin but the machines can still accept signatures...