Hot Glass Class on Equinox

Rossey

I just looked at the glass class sign up.  The price now is $120 but I don't know if a 20 minute class is worth the price.  Is your finished piece included in the price or is that extra?  Do they charge if you just want to watch the demo?  Thanks.

We spoke two two different couples who had experienced  on our recent cruise. One couple loved it, thought it great value for money and loved their souvenir ornaments.The other couple thought it overpriced, thought they were not as ‘hands on’ as expected and wouldn’t recommend....

Why not go to view early in your cruise then book a session if it looks like fun? I never got around to even viewing last cruise although I meant to...another one of those cruise things I keep meaning to do, like trivia and wine tasting...

There is an extra fee for some of the items you make.  My wife and I made two tumblers and we had to pay an additional fee on top of the class price to make them.  Quite fun to do once and it's definitely a one of a kind souvenir to take home.  I use my tumbler for my Old Fashioned most evenings. 

Most of the work is done by the instructors, you'll blow into the pipe, use the paddles to square it up and a few other things. But keep in mind the glass is over 1000 degrees so there's a good reason your hands on work is limited.   Here's our glasses.    Totally worth doing one time, how many cruises can you take where you actually get to create a glass item?  

glass class.JPG

• Like 5

i did this once, but was really disappointed in the outcome.  I did a vase, wanted a specific color, which we had discussed, and it came out totally different!  waste of money in my opinion.  you cannot do a nice piece of glass blowing in 15 minutes!  I think we had some OBC, so some of the cost was from that, but I would never do again.

• Like 1

I have made a couple of ornaments, a vase, a tumbler, and a pumpkin (clearly I have done this a few times), and I am happy with each one. I used OBC for a class for my December cruise, so I assume I'm locked in at the $59 (but may need to pay more for larger items). And I'm looking forward to making something else. ☺️

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

I have made a couple of ornaments, a vase, a tumbler, and a pumpkin (clearly I have done this a few times), and I am happy with each one. I used OBC for a class for my December cruise, so I assume I'm locked in at the $59 (but may need to pay more for larger items). And I'm looking forward to making something else. ☺️

I feel the same way. Ive made 3 pieces on the cruise ship and one piece on land. It is great fun. They seem to let me do quite a lot. Maybe it is my skill or the pieces I pick. Here are some of the display items and the last piece I made earlier this month on Eclipse.

IMG_20191011_173944298.jpg

IMG_20191007_162459454.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Equinox for two weeks, the end of August and first week of September and prebooked an experience for each week. The price was $59. The second week it jumped to $79 but our $59 was honored. The choice of what you make determines the final price. You just pay the difference if your piece cost more.

The pieces turned out very close to the samples. They do most of the technical work and are able to correct most of your mistakes, if you make any. “The Boss” proudly displays both of her pieces on top of the bookcase.

It’s up to $120 on our cruise planner.  That’s a bit steep.  However I collect blue blown glass so I will do it.  At that price it will only be one of us though.  I’ll take pics of my collection and show them so they will know what color I want. We don’t buy much in the way of souvenirs so this will make a nice reminder of the trip.

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 1

I hemmed and hawed around on our cruise about whether or not I wanted to spend the money to do it and by the time I made up my mind, the classes were full and I wasn't able to get a slot.  I hate regrets, but that's one that I have.  Not sure how you put a price on making memories.  Wish I had been so wise when I was on my cruise.

The program has changed. We booked at $107 for 2 people but now it is $120 for one. The difference from what I can tell is is you no longer pay for your piece. Curious what is going to happen when we go in Feb, assume we will have to pay more. New wording when you book:

Overview

Discover the ancient art of glassblowing, invented during the Roman Empire, in one of our world-famous hot glass classes, offered exclusively by Celebrity Cruises. Use vibrant colors and high heat to create your own unique piece of art from one of eight impressive designs. Your handmade souvenir will remind you of all the amazing experiences you had on your vacation for years to come. Classes are extremely popular, and sell out quickly, so make sure you reserve your spot today. 

SOUVENIR OPTIONS:
• Wave Vase 
• Vase 
• Starfish 
• Heart 
• Pumpkin 
• Jellyfish 
• Whale Tail Mug/Mermaid Mug 
• Tropical Fish

WHO’S WELCOME: 
• Adults 
• Kids ages 3 and up with adult supervision

CLASS DURATION: 
• 20 minutes

DISCLAIMER: There will be a $25 fee if you don’t cancel within 24 hours of purchase.

I didn't print the wording when we originally booked 😞 

Anyone know what the whale tail or mermaid mug look like? We wanted to make the tumbler but don't see that as an option now.

BonVoyage

Dawna

8 hours ago, Icon901 said:

We were planning on doing this at $59 but will pass at $120. That said I'm not salty about it, and suspect some folks will be happy to pay that much. 😉

I paid $59 a couple of years ago and made the flower.  It was fun and  great souvenir but I wouldn't pay $120.

If you are really interested in glass blowing, I would suggest a glass studio, where you'll get much more hands-on time at a lower cost. Here is an example: at the Harborfront Centre [link] in Toronto, a 19-hour course costs $412.45 CAD (approximately $314 USD); for a one-hour session to make one piece, the cost ranges around $45-55 CAD (approximately $34-42 USD). As you can see, these prices are much better than $120 USD for a 20 minute session. I believe you can find a reputable glass studio not too far from you.

That price sounds like quite a jump from what I paid on Equinox in October 2018.  It really sounds like it should be for two people, although in my cruise planner it clearly states $120 for one person.  Last year I made a tumbler for $79 total - class and tumbler included.  As posted earlier, the price will depend on what you choose to create, and the level of hands-on involvement will also also depend on the complexity of the piece.  Although I truly enjoyed my experience and found it to be a great souvenir of our cruise, I don’t think I would have done it for $120.  I do recommend going up as soon as they open (the hours will be posted) to ensure that you get the day/time that works best for you.

IMG_4715.jpg

On 10/22/2019 at 11:40 AM, OT-Miami said:

That price sounds like quite a jump from what I paid on Equinox in October 2018.  It really sounds like it should be for two people, although in my cruise planner it clearly states $120 for one person.  Last year I made a tumbler for $79 total - class and tumbler included.  As posted earlier, the price will depend on what you choose to create, and the level of hands-on involvement will also also depend on the complexity of the piece.  Although I truly enjoyed my experience and found it to be a great souvenir of our cruise, I don’t think I would have done it for $120.  I do recommend going up as soon as they open (the hours will be posted) to ensure that you get the day/time that works best for you.

IMG_4715.jpg

You and my wife are kindred spirits.  She just added a little splash of teal to hers.  

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.24.30 PM.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, vermonter16 said:

So, for the price did you actually get to keep your piece?  I agree $120 is steep but I know that DH wants to do this and I'd like for him to be able to.

Of course you do.  I can't imagine what the studio would do with them otherwise--I guess melt them down?  I made an ornament and it was a nice souvenir.

Edited by hiccups

I have to say I had a great time, not just making a piece ( though they do most of the work ), 2 tumblers and a vase later, but sitting and watching others make items.

As to it not looking exactly as expected, its art; not machine made. That is part of the reason I enjoyed watching others making things too. 

It is more expensive than when I did it, but I will do it again next time I am onboard, cause now I want a whale tail mug :)