New York tours

HCI

Hi

We will be in New York for 2 full days, will be staying in Time Square( we are from Australia) before heading off on a cruise

Need advice on what tours to do, as its our first time there

What are the must see

Thanks

3 hours ago, HCI said:

Hi

We will be in New York for 2 full days, will be staying in Time Square( we are from Australia) before heading off on a cruise

Need advice on what tours to do, as its our first time there

What are the must see

Thanks

The Hoho buses are very popular.  Traffic in Manhattan is very congested which makes private tours difficult because there are no places a tour bus can easily park or even stop.  Major highlights are the Statue of Liberty which you can do yourself, Empire State Building, Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center), and/or Freedom Tower for views, and 911 Memorial and/or 911 Museum. Central Park, and museums are also popular destinations.  

If if you can narrow down your interests, folks can make more specific suggestions.  The Statue of Liberty requires time, tickets, and advance planning as does the 911 Museum.  Hours for the Empire State and Top of the Rock are much more flexible.  From the Times Square area you can walk to these “view” destinations as well as Central Park,  but subway would be required to get to the SOL and other downtown destinations.

• Like 1

1000 things to see in NYC.  Many you will see as you drive by on a HOHO.

Are there things you have always dreamed of seeing in NYC?  That should be what you aim for.  Some folks have always wanted to see the Statue of Liberty.  Others had friends or family perish on 9/11 and want to spend time at the Memorial and Museum.  Others have been fascinated by tales of the New York Public Library or Eloise and want to visit the Palace.

You are the best person to decide what you should see.  We can help you arrange it.

As you plan your sight seeing. Choose places you would like to see that are near to each other. Such as Central Park, Rockefeller Center, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral which is a few blocks from Rockefeller Center. Another would be The Statue of Liberty/ Ellis Island and 911 Memorial. It’s impossible to go uptown, downtown, midtown. The traveling takes so much of your time and energy. One more sight seeing. The Circleline which goes around Manhattan Island. On a summer day or evening it’s a nice relaxing journey. Circleline departs from around 42nd St. and 12th Ave.

• Like 2

You don’t need a formal tour. Manhattan is very compact. From your hotel in Times Square you can walk to Empire State Building or Top of the Rock; Bryant Park; Public Library; Rockefeller Center; St Patrick Cathedral. You can take a bus or subway up to Central Park if you feel walking is too far. (Even an Uber or taxi if you want to splurge) Both the Met Art Museum and Museum of Natural History near park. A free thing to do is The Vessel and the Highline. 

The next day focus on Financial District sights. The Statue of Liberty cruises leave from here must book in advance. Also 9/11 Memorial and museum. You don’t need tix for memorial, only museum. 

Of course there are lots more more to do if you have specific interests. And you can’t possibly do it all. But if you narrow it down we can give you specifics the best routes to take. 

Also if youre in Times Square are you planning to see a Broadway show?

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, Got2Cruise said:

You don’t need a formal tour. Manhattan is very compact.

Ive heard Manhattan described as many things but none of them were ever "compact". I lived in Midtown for 4 years-- it takes time and planning to get to places depending on the time of day. This is a bit of an oversimplification. 

If you have a tight schedule or limited time, taxis or Uber will be your friend. 

16 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Ive heard Manhattan described as many things but none of them were ever "compact". I lived in Midtown for 4 years-- it takes time and planning to get to places depending on the time of day. This is a bit of an oversimplification. 

If you have a tight schedule or limited time, taxis or Uber will be your friend. 

Are we having a contest ms Princeton NJ? Your post is rude. I’ve lived in NYC my whole damn life and own a coop on East  50th. 

If you would have quoted my entire post you would notice I stated divide your sight seeing into sections. One day Midtown. One day Financial District. Those two sections are very compact and walkable.

Got2Cruise,  if I stay in financial district is it fairly easy to walk to the 911 memorial and museum?  Also is the ferry to Liberty Island and Ellis Island on the Hudson River or do I go to the end of district?   Thanks.  My plan is to see See Ellis Island and Statue; so that requires a ferry ride.  Then plan on 911 museum and memorial.  Then up to Little Itlay so my wife can have some italian food.  And maybe venture up to see a show.  We plan on 2-3 days in the city pre cruise.  Thanks for any and all advice.

As of now I am looking to stay either Hilton Garden Inn or Doubletree both in Financial District.  Or the Marriott in Financial District

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Got2Cruise,  if I stay in financial district is it fairly easy to walk to the 911 memorial and museum?  Also is the ferry to Liberty Island and Ellis Island on the Hudson River or do I go to the end of district?   Thanks.  My plan is to see See Ellis Island and Statue; so that requires a ferry ride.  Then plan on 911 museum and memorial.  Then up to Little Itlay so my wife can have some italian food.  And maybe venture up to see a show.  We plan on 2-3 days in the city pre cruise.  Thanks for any and all advice.

As of now I am looking to stay either Hilton Garden Inn or Doubletree both in Financial District.  Or the Marriott in Financial District

Yes, and book your trip to the SOL at statue cruises ahead of time (crown sells out months in advance, pedestal about a month, I recommend at least the pedestal to see the museum inside). Also book tickets to the museum online to skip a long line.

• Like 1

I post the following every time a person posts a question about what to do in Manhattan.

Contact the NYC tourist information office.In 2007 I planned a school reunion for people who grew up in NYC but now live all over the world.I contacted the tourist info center and they were so helpful.They gave me a lot of suggestions which I used to plan 3 days of sightseeing.

• Like 2

The Doubletree Financial District I’ve stayed in myself as a staycation. The location, and value is great. The only negative is that the elevators take forever. There just aren’t enough for a building that size. Just don’t be in a rush to get any where and you’ll do fine. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 7:27 AM, AF-1 said:

Hi you mentioned DoubleTree or Marriott. Both very easy walking as long as you’re in relatively good health. The streets in Financial District not a grid. Many are the same as when the Dutch traded with the Native Americans. Narrow and curved. 

Little Italy is now only a couple of blocks long now, it’s mostly Chinatown. The walk is doable but probably easier to hop on subway a couple of stops. 

Going to Broadway there are all the major lines from financial district. My secret weapon is Google navigation app. Put in your start and end points. Click train or walk and voila you have your routes. 

Download and set up the Uber app so you have it ready if you need it. 

• Like 1

Got2Cruise,  thanks for the tips and info.  I have both Uber and Lyft apps; since I have used them both in different cities.  I do know that Little Italy has shrunk; based on the map of both Chinatown and Little Italy.  Again thanks and have a great day

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lyft is available in NYC (just like Uber ... both FHV are regulated under jurisdiction of NYC's T&LC - inspected & insured, etc.)  ... they should be readily available at/near area airports, cruise terminals and most of Manhattan.   Many drivers are on both ride-sharing platform.  

Taxis and FHV are now subject to a congestion surcharge for ALL pickup & dropoff in Manhattan, south of 60th Street, river to river - $2.50 or $2.75 per trip/ride, along with other (small) regulatory fees/rush-hour add-on, etc. 

Still prefer to use car service & their mobile app when on the go - Carmel.  Others prefer Dial 7.  For us, Lyft used as a backup/last resort option - 2 to 3 times a year, on average. 

On 10/29/2019 at 6:21 PM, skrufy said:

As you plan your sight seeing. Choose places you would like to see that are near to each other. Such as Central Park, Rockefeller Center, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral which is a few blocks from Rockefeller Center. Another would be The Statue of Liberty/ Ellis Island and 911 Memorial. It’s impossible to go uptown, downtown, midtown. The traveling takes so much of your time and energy. One more sight seeing. The Circleline which goes around Manhattan Island. On a summer day or evening it’s a nice relaxing journey. Circleline departs from around 42nd St. and 12th Ave.

I second this.  Plan one day to see sites in midtown and the other day to see sites in the downtown/financial district area.  That way you can stay in one part of town for the better part of each day.  Also, Circle Line tours will give you great views of the Statue of Liberty.  When we did one, the captain slowed down and spent plenty of time for everyone to get a turn at the railing to get good pictures.  If you have no real desire to actually walk on the SOL grounds, this is a great way to see the statue, along with other parts of the NYC skyline.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:27 AM, AF-1 said:

A note about Ellis Island- if you go, you really need to allow several hours.  You can rent a headset and do a self-guided tour, which I found extremely fascinating, but it takes a while to listen to the audio clips, read all verbiage on the visual displays etc.  The tour takes you through the entire process of arriving as an immigrant, being processed, quarantine area if sick, where you'd stay and "live" temporarily while waiting for papers to be approved to complete the immigration process etc.  My point is that if you do that, and also visit the statue, it may take more time than you think so just plan accordingly.  The 911 memorial and museum can also take longer than you think; the museum in particular is just haunting.  Both times I've been I spent several hours and could have stayed longer.  You can do SOL/Ellis and 911 in one day, just plan accordingly, as it could easily take an entire day to thoroughly do all of that.

One additional recommendation I have for anyone visiting is a food tour, if your schedule allows it.  We have done numerous food tours with "Foods of NY Tours" and they have all been excellent.   One focuses on Chinatown, one on Little Italy, and so forth.  The guides have all been great, the food good, and you get some general NYC history/facts along with the food, as you move from stop to stop.  I've seen other companies with similar names but the one we've always used and had great experience with is www.foodsofny.com.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:26 AM, 138east said:

The Hoho buses are very popular.  Traffic in Manhattan is very congested which makes private tours difficult because there are no places a tour bus can easily park or even stop. 

The Hoho buses are popular, but get stuck in the same NY traffic.  As a means of getting between the sites you actually want to visit, it would not be my preferred way of doing so.  For long distances, the subway is the most efficient way of getting around.  For sites near each other, walking is usually best.  And for in-between distances, grab a cab or Uber.  Just my .02