Port Fees

dweeb

Has anyone else noticed that the Port Fees for sailing on the west coast are getting a little expensive?  

An example is Jan 12 , 2020 sailing of the Grand Princess.  10 days,Mexican cruise, 4 ports.  $205.00

27 Jan., 2020 Grand sailing 15 days to Hawaii.  5 ports $250.00

Dec 9, 2019 sailing of the Royal Princess to Cabo. 5 days,  1 port, $104.73

April 7, 2020.  Star Princess sailing a California Coastal.  7 Days, 4 ports, $220.70.

I'll have to start sailing more out of Florida!

Edited by dweeb
spelling

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

3 days FLL/PE  - 1 port - Princess Cay - SKY Princess - $ 105

are you sure ??

Not Now I'm not.  I guess they are going up all over.  😢

Edited by dweeb
spelling
  • Haha 1

Interesting. I believe RCCL is not charging port fees for Coco Cay, but maybe they have different level of ownership.

Princess Cay is just a part of the island , right?

47 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Interesting. I believe RCCL is not charging port fees for Coco Cay, but maybe they have different level of ownership.

Princess Cay is just a part of the island , right?

If you didn’t have to pay the government and port fees, you could call it a Nantucket Mama. But, for now you have to call it a Bahama Mama!

3 hours ago, dweeb said:

Has anyone else noticed that the Port Fees for sailing on the west coast are getting a little expensive?  

An example is Jan 12 , 2020 sailing of the Grand Princess.  10 days,Mexican cruise, 4 ports.  $205.00

April 7, 2020.  Star Princess sailing a California Coastal.  7 Days, 4 ports, $220.70.

You have a point.  A 10-nighter out of FLL is ~$150 to ~$160 in taxes.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I believe you meant $300,000. 🙂The Panama Canal is totally different from tying up in a port for a day.

I just booked a partial Panama Canal cruise yesterday. The port fees are $350 per passenger. I guess it adds up to $300,000 for the ship.

Have three 10 day Caribbean cruises for this winter each with 7 ports. One is $270, one $280 and one $290. Not all ports are the same. Have a 10 day Sea of Cortez booked for 2021, 5 ports one with overnight, $370. Two Hawaii's booked, 5 ports, one late night, one is $390 and one is $380.

Hawaii has always been high. Suppose Mexican ports also charge higher amounts. 

If you are talking about the added cost after the price of the cabin, this is an all inclusive "Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses".  This charge may be different for each passenger on the same ship depending on what they paid for their cabin, and what type of cabin they choose.  Only a small part of this is actually the Port Expense.  If you have ever missed a port (which we have), you may find a refund to your shipboard account that in reality is only approximately $20.00 to $30.00.

8 minutes ago, famski740 said:

This charge may be different for each passenger on the same ship depending on what they paid for their cabin, and what type of cabin they choose. 

I've never heard of that ... are you saying my port fees of $ 105 in an inside cabin are different than if I was staying in a CC mini ?

What I am saying is that the $105 added to your cabin cost is not just port fees.  It is a combination of Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses.  The tax on your inside cabin can be far less then the tax on a Penthouse suite because of the actual cost of the cabin.

19 minutes ago, famski740 said:

What I am saying is that the $105 added to your cabin cost is not just port fees.  It is a combination of Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses.  The tax on your inside cabin can be far less then the tax on a Penthouse suite because of the actual cost of the cabin.

Just did a mock booking for a 7 day Caribbean cruise in November 2020. Taxes, fees and port expenses are identical for an interior cabin and a vista suite, $140/pp. No difference based on cabin category or amount of passengers in the cabin. The taxes, fees and port expenses are related to the passenger, not to the fare(s) paid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just as an aside.  On my last two cruises, I started with a surprise credit on my account for port fees.  We did not miss any ports, etc.  just had a nice though small extra credit show up on our account!  At least no one can blame the specific cruise line for port fees going up!

Pooh

2 hours ago, famski740 said:

2 hours ago, famski740 said:

My apologies, I stand corrected as to how they are configured, but they are a combination of the three separate fees.

What you misunderstood is that the "taxes" in the "taxes, fees, and port charges" is not sales tax on your cabin, it is taxes paid to the ports.

It would not surprise me that West Coast port taxes and fees are going up.  With the power outages being experienced out there, and the requirement to plug the ship into the grid in California, I expect the electrical supply fee to increase quite a bit.

22 hours ago, dweeb said:

You Did not compare the east coast to the west coast.  You only showed west coast avg is 50 per day.  What is the east coast avg?

17 hours ago, retrembl said:

You Did not compare the east coast to the west coast.  You only showed west coast avg is 50 per day.  What is the east coast avg?

$ 50 per "day" ? sorry, but no in the above example ... more like 20 17, 21, 31 ... pp per day

now, my rub is a potential B2B 3 day cruises on the  SKY ... PE / Princess Cay / PE / PC / PE

Princess wants $ 105 per person for each 3 day cruise - that's $ 420 !!

33 minutes ago, voljeep said:

$ 50 per "day" ? sorry, but no in the above example ... more like 20 17, 21, 31 ... pp per day

now, my rub is a potential B2B 3 day cruises on the  SKY ... PE / Princess Cay / PE / PC / PE

Princess wants $ 105 per person for each 3 day cruise - that's $ 420 !!

Princess doesn't want it; the ports do, right?

Pooh

23 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Just as an aside.  On my last two cruises, I started with a surprise credit on my account for port fees.  We did not miss any ports, etc.  just had a nice though small extra credit show up on our account!  At least no one can blame the specific cruise line for port fees going up!

Pooh

That is always a nice surprise. 

15 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Princess doesn't want it; the ports do, right?

Pooh

you tell me ...

Days

Southern Caribbean Voyager

Roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Sky Princess
Sun, Nov 15, 2020
Change Date
Sun, Jan 26, 2020 - Crown PrincessSun, Nov 15, 2020 - Sky Princess
Interior from
$1,179.00*
Select a Room
Saved
*Pricing is per person, double occupancy; USD. additional: $140.00 for Port fees and taxes

Edited by voljeep