NCL - Are the FREE Offers Really Free

CarolRoy

Are the free offers really free.  If you take the Unlimited Bar Free Offer, do have to take if for the whole cruise. Is this considered the drink package.  I know they charge a 20% grat on it.  But can you just order a drink here and there and be charged the grat on individual drinks?

Also with the Free Speciality Dining Offer.  How many dinners would you get.  And again I know there is a 20% grat added.

We have only sailed twice on NCL (we have done over 45 cruises).  We are looking at an 11-night Epic cruise.

Thanks for any help.    

13 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

Are the free offers really free.  If you take the Unlimited Bar Free Offer, do have to take if for the whole cruise. Is this considered the drink package.  I know they charge a 20% grat on it.  But can you just order a drink here and there and be charged the grat on individual drinks? Yes it’s for the whole cruise and yes you do get charged gratuity’s for each drink if you don’t. This is the alcoholic beverage package or you can upgrade for another sum to the Premium package that includes pressed juices, soda and specialty coffee. 

Also with the Free Speciality Dining Offer.  How many dinners would you get.  And again I know there is a 20% grat added. It’s 5 dinners for the 11 night cruises

We have only sailed twice on NCL (we have done over 45 cruises).  We are looking at an 11-night Epic cruise.

Thanks for any help.    

Nothing is free but I think it’s a good deal. Especially for 11 days. We are booked for the 11 day southern Caribbean in January on the Epic and I am so excited! This is my second cruise on the epic. 

Edited by Sweetnspicy

We had the premium plus package on our last cruise and felt it was worthwhile.  We enjoyed being able to order wines by the bottle at dinner (they will keep the unused portion for you for the following day).    It was also nice to have sparkling water by the bottle and bottled waters whenever we desired.  And espressos, cappuccinos, and lattes (iced and hot) throughout the day at the Starbucks on board.  Plus we made use of it at the Ocean View Villa on Great Stirrup Cay as well.

On the other hand if you only like to have perhaps one glass of wine with dinner each day and don't see yourself ordering cocktails or other beverages frequently then perhaps the package is not going to be worthwhile.

Edited by Motegi

14 minutes ago, Sdman36 said:

If your given the standard drink package as a perk, (yes I know you pay the gratuity up front), and your spouse does not drink alcohol, what options does she have if any.

All people in the same cabin have to take the same " freebies" . The package also includes soda or non alcoholic cocktails. The freebies are a bit of a gimmick really eg the shore excursions are all over priced on the ship and $50 goes no where near offsetting them. 

Let’s put this down that it’s the service charges/gratitudes that are never free.

The drinks are now pretty expensive therefore it’s worth selecting the free drinks promo and pay for the grats.

Edited by bluesea777

2 hours ago, Kazzygirl said:

All people in the same cabin have to take the same " freebies" . The package also includes soda or non alcoholic cocktails. The freebies are a bit of a gimmick really eg the shore excursions are all over priced on the ship and $50 goes no where near offsetting them. 

Only the 1st two in the cabin get the package -- my wife doesn't drink but it's nice for her to have a mock-tail with me once in a while or a soda. A side note, since I book via the Canadian site, we are charged the 20% ahead of time and then no additional grats on board; but I think the US site, you guys pay grats per drink -- hopefully, someone can clarify.

The $50 excursion credit is nice for the islands, you can rent snorkeling gear, or a paddle board, which is usually under the $50 amount. For my upcoming cruise, the $50 off makes it my excursion to Disney springs cheaper (and easier) than renting a car but that's because I waited too long and the car rental prices are crazy high (especially if there's only 2 of you).

So at the end, it depends....

3 hours ago, mianmike said:

Generally if you average 5-6 drinks a day per person the "free" drink package is worth it over booking the sailaway rate. 

34 minutes ago, xcell said:

Only the 1st two in the cabin get the package -- my wife doesn't drink but it's nice for her to have a mock-tail with me once in a while or a soda. A side note, since I book via the Canadian site, we are charged the 20% ahead of time and then no additional grats on board; but I think the US site, you guys pay grats per drink -- hopefully, someone can clarify.

The $50 excursion credit is nice for the islands, you can rent snorkeling gear, or a paddle board, which is usually under the $50 amount. For my upcoming cruise, the $50 off makes it my excursion to Disney springs cheaper (and easier) than renting a car but that's because I waited too long and the car rental prices are crazy high (especially if there's only 2 of you).

3 hours ago, mianmike said:

Generally if you average 5-6 drinks a day per person the "free" drink package is worth it over booking the sailaway rate. 

The gratuity is 20 something $ per day per person which would equate to one expensive drink. A $15 drink adds a $3 tip so it is $18. Also, one bartender charged an Italian Long Island iced tea (has amaretto) as having an extra shot. (Others did not). It showed up on the bill as like $24. Even beers are like $6 minimum plus almost $2 tip per drink so you’d only get three (or less) of those for the daily fee. 

Edited by schildiams

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Everyone pays 20% on the cost of the package, not per drink.

The gratuity is based on the cost of the standard drink package so the 20% gratuity comes to $19.80 per person per day.  Most mixed drinks cost between $11 to $13 each, beers are $6 to $7 per bottle depending on the brand.  Wines have a big price variation but what I call the "house" wines cost $8 to $10 per glass.  As you can see, you don't have to do much drinking to come out ahead with the "free" beverage package.  It's a good deal.

Hi all - 
I'm new to cruising NCL (we've cruised other lines), we did get the "Take All" package because we're Canadian, in the north, and the flights made it worth it for us. Anyways - our package says "2 meal dining package", am I to assume it's 2 meals per person or 2 meals. Eg. Can we eat a meal on two occasions, or are we offered each a meal on one occasion. I have combed the rules but it's not clarified anywhere. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate all the info on these forums. 

5 minutes ago, steph.harris81 said:

Hi all - 
I'm new to cruising NCL (we've cruised other lines), we did get the "Take All" package because we're Canadian, in the north, and the flights made it worth it for us. Anyways - our package says "2 meal dining package", am I to assume it's 2 meals per person or 2 meals. Eg. Can we eat a meal on two occasions, or are we offered each a meal on one occasion. I have combed the rules but it's not clarified anywhere. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate all the info on these forums. 

depending on the length of the cruise....and it is whatever number of meals for passengers 1 and 2 

Specialty Dining Package

Sail Length # Of Dining
Package Meals
Retail Value 20% Gratuities
3-4 Nights 1 $44.95 per person $8.99 per package
5-6 Nights 2 $79 per person $15.80 per package
7-8 Nights 3 $99 per person $19.80 per package
9-10 Nights 4 $114 per person $22.80 per package
11+ Nights 5 $129 per person $25.80 per package

3 hours ago, KarlChilders said:

depending on the length of the cruise....and it is whatever number of meals for passengers 1 and 2 

Specialty Dining Package

Sail Length # Of Dining
Package Meals
Retail Value 20% Gratuities
3-4 Nights 1 $44.95 per person $8.99 per package
5-6 Nights 2 $79 per person $15.80 per package
7-8 Nights 3 $99 per person $19.80 per package
9-10 Nights 4 $114 per person $22.80 per package
11+ Nights 5 $129 per person $25.80 per package

Oh I understand that part - we're cruising for 5 nights and have "2 meal package" - so that would be considered 2 meals each (2 passengers)? I wasn't sure if it was 2 meals or 4, basically.

The drink package is all about if you feel like its worth it or not for you personally.  The break even is 2-3 drinks a day.  I have purchased the drink package on other lines where the break even ends up being 6-7 drinks a day and I still felt it was worth it. 

I am not a heavy drinker at all but you would be surprised how much you end up drinking on a cruise.  If you have a couple of drinks by the pool during the day, a couple glasses of wine at dinner, and a couple of drinks while hang out at night you are already at 6 drinks and you wouldn't be sloppy drunk since its over the course of 8-10 hours.  

Now my BIL maxed out the Carnival 15 drink limit every night.  I would say that is a little too much.  

No, they’re not truly free. The way to see that is to go through a mock booking on their website. When you get to the page where it allows you to choose the “free” offers, note the total price in the bottom right part of the page. Then click “take all offers”, and you’ll see the price skyrocket. Now it still may be a good value for some who drink a lot and plan on going to specialty dinners, but it may be a very poor value for others whose drink spending is far less than the cost of the gratuities on the drinks package.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:47 PM, Liljo22 said:

The drink package is all about if you feel like its worth it or not for you personally.  The break even is 2-3 drinks a day.  I have purchased the drink package on other lines where the break even ends up being 6-7 drinks a day and I still felt it was worth it. 

I am not a heavy drinker at all but you would be surprised how much you end up drinking on a cruise.  If you have a couple of drinks by the pool during the day, a couple glasses of wine at dinner, and a couple of drinks while hang out at night you are already at 6 drinks and you wouldn't be sloppy drunk since its over the course of 8-10 hours.  

Now my BIL maxed out the Carnival 15 drink limit every night.  I would say that is a little too much.  

Liljo22 I agree with you wholeheartedly!  DH and I are not big drinkers but we do like to imbibe when cruising. 

I feel the true value in having the package is being able to try new drinks without obligation to finish because one costs anywhere from $8-$12 a shot... pun intended.  I once tried a drink in the Italian restaurant (a Negroni) that was so offensive to my palate that I couldn't get past the first taste.  Luckily we had the drink package so I could easily say (and w/o guilt) that it was awful and could I get something else instead?  Just another reason for considering the drink package.

It's definitely not really "free." Is the drink package a good deal if you're going to drink instead of paying per drink? For sure. And we all know we have to pay gratuities on that. Where it's not "free" is that they advertise it that way next to a price, which is a seemingly good deal. Then you go to book it...that price is the "sail away" rate, which doesn't include the perks, and the next cheapest rate including the perks is $250+ more expensive.

I was thinking about doing a last-minute, quick 5-day since I live downtown next to PortMiami, I randomly had a few days off, and inside cabins (which I normally wouldn't stay in) were only $199/pp! After the mock booking and choosing the perks, the total for 2 people was $1300 😂 I was shocked. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I love NCL and will continue to cruise with them. I just know this is how it works, and everyone needs to tell themselves that as well. I do think that price increase is a LITTLE ridiculous...it has always been like this i.e. never really free, but I've never noticed it this bad. That tacked on $900 total when all was said and done, which is crazy IMO. Anyway...looking forward to sailing the Encore in April (so long as I get in the Vibe, since there appears to be a severe lack of outdoor space 😭)

Happy cruising, y'all!

On 10/31/2019 at 12:47 PM, Liljo22 said:

Umm, that’s the breakeven point for the gratuities on the drink package on NCL.  If the drink package is not included as a perk in your fare (for example for the 3rd adult in cabin) the drink package is $99 per day plus gratuity.  When your drink package comes as a perk, it’s base cost is wrapped into the cabin fare...one may or may not get a “good deal” on that fare

My husband does drink, and I do not.  We declined the drinks package after we saw the service charge -  why:

Bev Srv Charge 594.00 (total)  297.00 (husband)  297.00(me).

We decided that he would have to drink almost $600 of alcohol for this to make sense and that was NOT okay with me 🙂