Burgers...

Just saw the video below, & we totally agree that Carnival's Guy's burgers tastes much better than RCCL's Johnny Rocket's burgers.  Also, we haven't gone back to Johnny Rocket's since they do charge $6 - $9, not a huge amount, but still not willing to be gouged again once onboard...

Definitely don't cruise Royal for their Burgers (or pizza).  They do a lot of things well...burgers is not one of them. 

Best burger we have found is in the MDR, but that's only available during lunch on sea days. 

• Like 3

I've enjoy both, but it isn't a factor in choosing a cruise.  If I were to pick, I would give the nod to Guy's but not by much.

Putting it in perspective, it would rank like:

100 other things...

Trivia Prizes (Medal, Ship on a Stick, Key Chain, Pen, Highlighter, Zipper Pull, Crappy Champagne)

More clever towel animals

Better burger joint

$10 Tee shirt selection

Corridor carpet color

CDC Score (last thing on the list)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I could be wrong but they may have burgers sometimes at seaday lunch in the Main Dining room. ("MDR")

In addition, I wonder if they have them on the kids menu in the MDR and wonder if you could order off there.

They do have burgers in the MDR on sea days & they are far, far away much better than JR or WJ.

Which is not much of a compliment but the MDR burgers are good.....and I'm a burger guy that can eat them 7 days a week.

• Like 1

Don't you think burgers are getting like beers?  So many people are now doing craft versions.  Real high quality beef, that make production burgers all seem less good.  Even the plant based burgers, Impossible and Beyond, are getting so much better.  

54 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Don't you think burgers are getting like beers?  So many people are now doing craft versions.  Real high quality beef, that make production burgers all seem less good.  Even the plant based burgers, Impossible and Beyond, are getting so much better.  

Maybe at Guys.

But there is nothing crafty about JR.  Basic fast food burger.  Fries are good tho as as the milk shakes.

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Maybe at Guys.

But there is nothing crafty about JR.  Basic fast food burger.  Fries are good tho as as the milk shakes.

Oh I agree.  I don't think either are really awesome burgers on their own.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Domino D said:

Oh I agree.  I don't think either are really awesome burgers on their own.  

Good to know. I've never ate at Guys but knowing him from his various shows (Diner, Dives and Drive-thrus is right up my alley), I would've expected his burgers to be more "high-end" (kinda, sorta).  Oh well.....

But I get what you are saying. With so many places using Angus or Kobe beef with all sorts of seasoning and fancy cheeses, the "regular" burger-with-american cheese  now comes across as rather plain and unsatisfying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chillyw said:

How do Playmakers burgers compare?

I love a great burger, and while they're far from gourmet I enjoyed the burger @ Playmakers.  We've got the UDP on our upcoming Navigator sailing and my first stop once boarding will be Playmakers for a burgers, wings and a cold beer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iahawkfan21 said:

I love a great burger, and while they're far from gourmet I enjoyed the burger @ Playmakers.  We've got the UDP on our upcoming Navigator sailing and my first stop once boarding will be Playmakers for a burgers, wings and a cold beer.

Agree!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Avoid JR.  Your arteries will thank you

So, you’re saying I could finally get to file a claim against that annual travel medical plan that I’ve been buying, if I ate at the Rocket.  
I’ve been avoiding it because paying for a burger on a ship is not on my agenda. 

7 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Just saw the video below, & we totally agree that Carnival's Guy's burgers tastes much better than RCCL's Johnny Rocket's burgers.  Also, we haven't gone back to Johnny Rocket's since they do charge $6 - $9, not a huge amount, but still not willing to be gouged again once onboard...

Actually 20yrs ago I boarded the Voyager, Chops AND Johnny Rocket's charged a cover to eat there. Nothing new, was much talk on Cruise Critic back then. Been on here since 1997

3 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

By the time you put on the onions, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes.....do you even taste the meat?

Yes.

Burgers are one thing that are very US centric.  I have found no really good burgers outside the US.

I was talking to an Israeli man at a party in Easter Europe, and he agreed with me.  Then mentioned there was a new good burgar place in London.  He could not remember the name, but it was something like Five Men. 🙂  I asked, Five Guys?  Yeap, that was it.  He did not know it was a US chain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Actually 20yrs ago I boarded the Voyager, Chops AND Johnny Rocket's charged a cover to eat there. Nothing new, was much talk on Cruise Critic back then. Been on here since 1997

Chops wasnt around 20 years ago, and for many years on Voyager class ships JR's did not have a cover charge.  

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

By the time you put on the onions, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes.....do you even taste the meat?

Have you tried a windjammer burger or Labadee burger?  You can't cover them in enough other things to disguise the meat unfortunately 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Yes.

Burgers are one thing that are very US centric.  I have found no really good burgers outside the US.

I was talking to an Israeli man at a party in Easter Europe, and he agreed with me.  Then mentioned there was a new good burgar place in London.  He could not remember the name, but it was something like Five Men. 🙂  I asked, Five Guys?  Yeap, that was it.  He did not know it was a US chain.

Agree, let alone other Countries I remember 40yrs ago when I started traveling that USA Meat in Chain Rest tasted different in different places around the Country. Only thing could think was some Grain Fed, other's Grass Fed.