Noumea - Travel Insurance

We cruised to Noumea in September. Although we were advised that Noumea would require us to have travel insurance, no-one asked for proof. Currently, we are relying on the 'free' travel insurance that comes with our credit card. I suspect it might only become an issue if you left the ship in Noumea for whatever reason and did not continue on with the cruise.

If you want to, take a photocopy of the policy with you.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

We have a cruise there February and it says we maybe prevented from getting off the ship if we don’t have insurance.

Reports are it’s not enforced but that could change at any minute.

I think a photocopy would be enough.

If all else fails stay 0n the ship.

• Like 1

I have a copy of the one page insurance certificate that I take with me.  Never asked for it.

As an aside, I have been doing my current Cunard stuff, and it ones up in the Voyage Personaliser that travel insurance is a condition in the travel contract.

Odd, I thought.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We cruised to Noumea in September. Although we were advised that Noumea would require us to have travel insurance, no-one asked for proof. Currently, we are relying on the 'free' travel insurance that comes with our credit card. I suspect it might only become an issue if you left the ship in Noumea for whatever reason and did not continue on with the cruise.

If you want to, take a photocopy of the policy with you.

Our cruise was with P&O.

30 minutes ago, banzaii said:

Many do this in Noumea anyway.  If you are one that does not buy insurance the decision might not be your own.

Staying on the ship can be very good,I’ve done it a few times.

It is deserted and peaceful,go for a swim in a otherwise busy pool deck.

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, MoJoJoNZ said:

I was there last week on the Ruby Princess, the Patter reminds you that you must have insurance before disembarking, but one one actually asked. Take a copy just in case, you will be fine.

You’re saying no one asked?

Edited by Chiliburn

Nope, no one asked, I actually forgot about it and I work in insurance so I usually remember these things! I had a copy of my policy in my emails anyway. I would assume it is for medical coverage, Noumea is pretty expensive anyway so would hate to think what they would charge. As an aside we actually had a medical emergency on board and a helicopter was called in to transfer a patient to Noumea, bit of excitement for the day.

4 minutes ago, MoJoJoNZ said:

Nope, no one asked, I actually forgot about it and I work in insurance so I usually remember these things! I had a copy of my policy in my emails anyway. I would assume it is for medical coverage, Noumea is pretty expensive anyway so would hate to think what they would charge. As an aside we actually had a medical emergency on board and a helicopter was called in to transfer a patient to Noumea, bit of excitement for the day.

I think every time I’ve been to Noumea someone left the ship for a reason.

last season a friend was doing scuba lessons and slipped with the gear on and broke his shoulder.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know if they could enforce the rule of visitors for a Day to have insurance  ?

Possibly add a levy to the cruise line for each passenger?

Not let those passengers without insurance off the ship?

Leigh

47 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Not let those passengers without insurance off the ship?

Leigh

Agreed, it's a simple matter to pass the obligation on to the cruise line if they wish to.

Of course, the cruise line will push back to an extent and then it comes down to who blinks first i.e. cruise line may take passengers away and tourism drops but country may insist/require it regardless and cruise line then complies if the business is still worth it to them.

Well you would be kind of crazy not to travel without travel insurance. I am aware of some passengers who happily spend literally thousands on a cruise and then baulk at the thought of spending a few hundred bucks on quality TI.

We visited Noumea on the Majestic last month although I didn't take a hard copy of our policy with us I could have accessed the policy stored in a folder on my email account if needed.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Has anyone heard of a country denying entry because they don’t have travel insurance?

No. When we visited Noumea two months ago, no-one asked us about proof of travel insurance although the cruise line had advised us we had to have it. BTW, we always have insurance.

11 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Has anyone heard of a country denying entry because they don’t have travel insurance?

No !  But  should medical assistance be required , leaving the country could be denied until payment is assured .

22 minutes ago, vozzie said:

It's really a non-issue. If you haven't got Insurance on an international cruise anyway, you'r pure and simple...an idiot.

Exactly . The requirement is one of the terms and conditions of entry to Noumea .