Princess only wins two categories in Porthole Magazine's reader poll

CineGraphic

Don't rely to heavily on any of these "polls".  Almost all of the cruise lines beg TAs and others to vote for their cruise line for this, that and the other poll all the time.  The emails get really annoying.  Many people that do the voting have never stepped foot on the cruise line they're voting for.  They are worthless IMO.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Don't rely to heavily on any of these "polls".  Almost all of the cruise lines beg TAs and others to vote for their cruise line for this, that and the other poll all the time.  The emails get really annoying.  Many people that do the voting have never stepped foot on the cruise line they're voting for.  They are worthless IMO.

Agreed

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, antsp said:

Princess must be doing something wright , there ships sail full and they have a massive loyalty. Look how many Elites are on every sailing. 

Almost all mass cruise ships sail full. Almost all lines discount the price at the very end to fill the ship if they need be.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, antsp said:

Princess must be doing something wright , there ships sail full and they have a massive loyalty. Look how many Elites are on every sailing. 

That's because they make it easy to get to Elite status and it is basically  "lifetime status."  If Princess were like the airlines, hotel or rental car industry people would be earning their status every year or so....having  Elite is no big deal to us....and I am sure not to Princess either.

Edited by PrincessLuver

27 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

If Princess were like the airlines, hotel or rental car industry people would be earning their status every year or so.

In theory what would it take to remain at an Elite status similar to the airlines.

I suspect a lot less since the prices of cruising is considerable more.

48 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

In theory what would it take to remain at an Elite status similar to the airlines.

I suspect a lot less since the prices of cruising is considerable more.

One International Business class ticket can easily cost as much  as a 14 day Princess cruise.  I fly United and usually make 1K every year.

To remain 1K (Elite) for 2020 I will have to spend a minimum of $15,000 on UA and fly at least 100,000 miles.  You receive lifetime status when you fly at least 1,000,000 miles.  Like I said.... making status on a cruise line is really easy and maybe they should make it good for only 3 years if you do not take so many cruises each year then you drop back down to Gold until you requalify again.

2019_10_14-2019uaqualifying.png.2d816623004e277a7375634d6922666f.png

Edited by PrincessLuver

Prices may be similar, but time is definitely not.  A flight could typically be two to seven hours, but a cruise is for several days.  Not everyone can afford the luxury of multiple vacations from their jobs.

4 hours ago, antsp said:

Princess may have done something right in the past to attract the clientele.  They are going to have to continue to adapt to attract new customers.  Many of the current loyal passengers are senior citizens.  Princess will need to find a way to become more attractive  to multi generational groups and younger passengers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

One International Business class ticket can easily cost as much  as a 14 day Princess cruise.  I fly United and usually make 1K every year.

To remain 1K (Elite) for 2020 I will have to spend a minimum of $15,000 on UA and fly at least 100,000 miles.  You receive lifetime status when you fly at least 1,000,000 miles.  Like I said.... making status on a cruise line is really easy and maybe they should make it good for only 3 years if you do not take so many cruises each year then you drop back down to Gold until you requalify again.

Totally apples and oranges.

Airline and hotel's big customers are business travelers. That's who they are trying to attract with their frequent travelers promotions. They have no interest in keeping customers who no longer travel as much.

Princes is totally trying to attract the loyalty of the leisure traveler and that takes different incentives to acquire. They love their passengers who can take several cruises a year but that's not who fills the ships. They want to keep everyone loyal that they can. They need those infrequent travelers who only do one cruise every year or two thay are the majority of the passengers. If someone stops cruising for a while they want to keep their loyalty so when they return they come right back.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, scott4020 said:

Totally apples and oranges.

Airline and hotel's big customers are business travelers. That's who they are trying to attract with their frequent travelers promotions. They have no interest in keeping customers who no longer travel as much.

Princes is totally trying to attract the loyalty of the leisure traveler and that takes different incentives to acquire. They love their passengers who can take several cruises a year but that's not who fills the ships. They want to keep everyone loyal that they can. They need those infrequent travelers who only do one cruise every year or two thay are the majority of the passengers. If someone stops cruising for a while they want to keep their loyalty so when they return they come right back.

We travel a tremendous amount and are not business travelers anymore but frequent travelers which are still valued by the airlines, etc.  They care about your spend and want you to spend a certain amount every year where Princess does not.

We enjoy much more the perks that come with airline, hotel, and rental car programs and status then the perks that Princess gives out which are not worth that much in reality....two First Class international upgrades on an airline are much more valuable to us then free laundry!!  

I do not understand why Princess awards lifetime Elite when in reality it does not take that much to qualify.  My wife and I are both veterans so we value much more the variety of OBC's that Princess allows and gives then their loyalty program.  

If the ship is full of Elites than most of the perks become negligible in a way.....IMHO....

5 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

maybe they should make it good for only 3 years if you do not take so many cruises each year then you drop back down to Gold until you requalify again.

With MSC's status match, you lose the matching status if you don't sail with them again within 3 years.

8 hours ago, LSGDRG said:

Princess may have done something right in the past to attract the clientele.  They are going to have to continue to adapt to attract new customers.  Many of the current loyal passengers are senior citizens.  Princess will need to find a way to become more attractive  to multi generational groups and younger passengers. 

Using your reasoning, I don't see why.  Those people that like NCL, RCCL, etc., are going to get older.  As people get older their tastes change and guess what?........... they will become Princess cruisers!!!!

Pooh

3 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Using your reasoning, I don't see why.  Those people that like NCL, RCCL, etc., are going to get older.  As people get older their tastes change and guess what?........... they will become Princess cruisers!!!!

Pooh

Not necessarily...Gen X and Millennial cruisers may not have the same tastes in activities/entertainment that Baby Boomers have.  Currently,  the activities/entertainment that Princess offers definitely appeals to an older crowd.  MedallionNet is a step in Princess attracting a broader, younger clientele.  

• Like 1