Cabin Steward

charlielinda

We are on a transatlantic at the moment in Aqua class.  Our cabin steward doesn’t make up the cabin till after 3:00 pm.   I don’t remember the timing from past cruises.  The same in the evening - we come back after dinner and not ready for night.   Our steward says he is in training for US cruises and timing is off.  Wondering if this is the normal timing.  What should we expect?  

Edited by charlielinda

We have done both eastbound and westbound T/Atl crossings and never experienced anything like this. In the mornings our cabin was done while we went to breakfast and in the evenings it was always done while we were at dinner.

Edited by Toftwood

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

That is not normal timing, and you should be able to request earlier servicing.  Tell him you would like to be first, or whatever it is you wish. If he can’t provide, then discuss with his supervisor, the assistant chief housekeeper for that location

Agree...Unless you are not leaving your cabin until lunch or constantly are leaving the ‘sleep’ sign on the door your cabin should be done at more appropriate times...

I don’t think we have ever not had our room serviced by 10/11am and that has usually been when we have had breakfast in the room, so our fault...

I wonder if they are really short staffed and are paying staff overtime to do some rooms after they have done their ‘real’ job? I would be tempted to have a word with your neighbors to see if they are having the same issue...If this is the case then it still is not acceptable, management need to sort.

5 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

I just spoke with him and he said on sea days he doesn’t start until 11.  I asked him to come first thing from now on.  He tries hard but seems a little frazzled ... it hasn’t impacted our wonderful cruise so going to go with the flow.  

Never heard of cabin attendants starting at 11.  They normally start at 8:00 am.  I don't know what ship you are on but this has never happened to us and we have over 50 cruises with Celebrity.  If I were you I'd ask him why he doesn't start at 8:00 which is normal.  Unless, of course, things have changed that much and service went downhill!

Edited by marycruz

4 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

... it hasn’t impacted our wonderful cruise so going to go with the flow.  

Kudos to you!! It's nice to read as some people would be 'over the top' and ready to send the room steward for a long walk on a short plank! And then tell us ALL about it! LOL!  

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have a discussion with the Guest Services folks....and/or head housekeeper.  Something is very amiss....

Real Batman.....sorry, but I don't agree.  If you are not happy with the service, you should speak up.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

Agree, ghstudio.

To the OP

After speaking with the steward and not seeing any change in service times, I would take up the issue  with Head of Housekeeping  and/or Guest Services. Whether or not the ship is understaffed is Celebrity’s responsibility. I do not think expecting your cabin to be cleaned in an acceptable time frame is asking too much.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

I just spoke with him and he said on sea days he doesn’t start until 11.  I asked him to come first thing from now on.  He tries hard but seems a little frazzled ... it hasn’t impacted our wonderful cruise so going to go with the flow.  

11:00 AM!  This is the first time I've ever heard of that.  I'd request to speak to someone above him. What time do you return from diner?   

Edited by davekathy

2 hours ago, charlielinda said:

That would be completely unacceptable to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, charlielinda said:

Our steward says he is in training for US cruises and timing is off.

This makes it sound like he's somewhere else during parts of the day.  The only way to confirm that is to talk to his supervisor, who should be able to assign someone to get to your room earlier if it's causing a problem.

• Like 2

Just as a comparison.  We are on Edge and on the first day let our attendant know we would be out of the cabin each morning at 10:00 in the morning and 7:30 in the evening.    When we get back to our cabin around noon our cabin is always made up.  We mostly give him a time frame so he can plan his day.    From observations he shows up on our floor at 8:00 and works until noon.   He then is back on duty around 1:30 to 3:00.  

Really curious as to what time you leave your cabin in the morning.  I notice on our cruise that there are some folks how don't go to breakfast on sea days until 11:00.  

• Like 1

I was going to let this go until we came back to our cabin at 9:15 pm and he was in the cabin.  We did talk to someone and said he was keeping the cabin well but the timing was so strange.  We had told him we’d be out if the cabin by 8:15 am and don’t return until noon and that we leave about 7 and come back at 9 or so.   I think what upset me was all the excuses ... not on till 11 which I know isn’t possible and the list goes on.  Now we’ll see what happens.  We are on a B2B and changing cabins.  We’ll see.  I respect the hard work but this was affecting our cruise.   

I've never experienced service such as you describe. I'd speak to a supervisor if things don't change. While I recognize and appreciate the hard work and reward them for it, I expect that if I'm keeping a normal schedule the services provided by the steward will be done in a timely manner. It's their job to accommodate you and not vice versa!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, charlielinda said:

I was going to let this go until we came back to our cabin at 9:15 pm and he was in the cabin.  We did talk to someone and said he was keeping the cabin well but the timing was so strange.  We had told him we’d be out if the cabin by 8:15 am and don’t return until noon and that we leave about 7 and come back at 9 or so.   I think what upset me was all the excuses ... not on till 11 which I know isn’t possible and the list goes on.  Now we’ll see what happens.  We are on a B2B and changing cabins.  We’ll see.  I respect the hard work but this was affecting our cruise.   

I'm sure you will have the service you and many of us have experienced on our cruises on your second leg. His supervisor needed to step in and make this right for you. Unacceptable! I hope you fill out your PCS at the end of your first leg.

Edited by davekathy