Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

On 6/14/2021 at 12:55 AM, nreeder said:

Ok, I’ll add my experience.  We are on the Ruby in September in a suite.  One of the benefits of a suite is free speciality restaurant on the day of embarkation.  Another passenger on our cruise said they were able to do this and get the restaurant for free as the $29 fee had a $29 credit.

When I tried it for the two of us, it wouldn’t do that, it wanted to charge us both $29, no “free”.  So I asked the other passenger how he did it.  He explained that he went in and made a single reservation for himself for the first night at $29 and got the “credit” which erased it.  So I tried that and it worked.  However, using my app on my phone, I tried selecting my wife who is listed as a “companion” on my app, and making a separate single reservation.  No go, $29 fee no credit.  So I set up my wife’s iPhone separately as “her” (logged in using our booking number), and filled in her iPhone number, address etc.  Then I tried booking her as a single speciality restaurant reservation at the same time as I had already booked me.  Worked like a charm!  Got the credit which erased the charges.  So we have two independent reservations at the same time, but both are free.  Don’t know whether this applies to everything, but it is how it’s working now.  Maybe if you logged out of you, and then logged in separately as your wife with a different login, you could get this to work on one phone, but I didn’t try that.

Norm

It will get fixed on board, but you and wife are now booked at two different tables.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, memoak said:

OK - I am able to change my emergency info and add profile picture and avatar but I see no place to put in passport data.  If my personalizer had my active passport would I assume that I don't have to worry about it ?

It's under "Travel Documents" and you need to scan it...unless you have done it in the past and it hasn't changed?

• Like 1

So, my mom and I (and possibly a friend of my mother's) are looking to book a Princess cruise for next January or February. They have sailed with Princess before (once on Regal, once on Royal), I have not. I have cruised in the past with Royal Caribbean and Disney Cruise Line. 

I'm really intrigued by the Ocean Medallion technology, and leaning toward an itinerary on Regal or Sky Princess out of Port Everglades. I, being in my early 40s, am quite comfortable with the technology, and use of smartphones, etc., my mother and friend are in their mid 70s and early 80s are not. They are much more traditional cruisers accustomed to using hard, plastic cruise cards to embark, disembark, unlock their stateroom doors, and purchase onboard charges. If we elect to cruise on one of these ships which utilizes the Ocean Medallion technology, can they opt out and use the standard cruise card? I would love to use the Medallion and app onboard, but I don't think they would feel comfortable doing so. 

Just to confirm, the Medallion itself is complimentary, and included with your cruise fare, and then obviously everything else you can use the Medallion to purchase onboard is not (i.e. WiFi package, drinks, etc.)? Also, does Princess only have the one MedallionClass app or do they have another one as well to use? I've been told that passengers use the MedallionClass app specifically to order drinks (is the first drink ordered through that app free of charge as in the past?).

42 minutes ago, accio_7 said:

So, my mom and I (and possibly a friend of my mother's) are looking to book a Princess cruise for next January or February. They have sailed with Princess before (once on Regal, once on Royal), I have not. I have cruised in the past with Royal Caribbean and Disney Cruise Line. 

I'm really intrigued by the Ocean Medallion technology, and leaning toward an itinerary on Regal or Sky Princess out of Port Everglades. I, being in my early 40s, am quite comfortable with the technology, and use of smartphones, etc., my mother and friend are in their mid 70s and early 80s are not. They are much more traditional cruisers accustomed to using hard, plastic cruise cards to embark, disembark, unlock their stateroom doors, and purchase onboard charges. If we elect to cruise on one of these ships which utilizes the Ocean Medallion technology, can they opt out and use the standard cruise card? I would love to use the Medallion and app onboard, but I don't think they would feel comfortable doing so. 

Just to confirm, the Medallion itself is complimentary, and included with your cruise fare, and then obviously everything else you can use the Medallion to purchase onboard is not (i.e. WiFi package, drinks, etc.)? Also, does Princess only have the one MedallionClass app or do they have another one as well to use? I've been told that passengers use the MedallionClass app specifically to order drinks (is the first drink ordered through that app free of charge as in the past?).

The medallion is included with your cruise. No charge for it. Only one app that I know about. You can order drinks, and a lot more. You can find others on the ship. You can play games and the slots. There is a lot available with the medallion class.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, accio_7 said:

Pre-covid they could opt out and get a cruise card. These days....who knows. I think they use the Medallion for contact tracing, so less likely. It's no different than the cruise card really. They can just put it in their pocket or on a lanyard like they did their cruise card. They don't need to use all the functionality of it if they don't want to. Since you have a phone, you will likely need to set all of them up (assuming they won't figure it out) with the way things are currently being done....that 'might' change at some point. By carrying the medallion, you could help them order a drink (don't know if the first one is free still) either on your phone or one of the boards and you would also be able to "find them" which is kind of a fun feature. It's also nice to have the door automatically unlock. They might find they enjoy a few of the simpler things.

Welcome to Princess!

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2021 at 12:55 AM, nreeder said:

Ok, I’ll add my experience.  We are on the Ruby in September in a suite.  One of the benefits of a suite is free speciality restaurant on the day of embarkation.  Another passenger on our cruise said they were able to do this and get the restaurant for free as the $29 fee had a $29 credit.

When I tried it for the two of us, it wouldn’t do that, it wanted to charge us both $29, no “free”.  So I asked the other passenger how he did it.  He explained that he went in and made a single reservation for himself for the first night at $29 and got the “credit” which erased it.  So I tried that and it worked.  However, using my app on my phone, I tried selecting my wife who is listed as a “companion” on my app, and making a separate single reservation.  No go, $29 fee no credit.  So I set up my wife’s iPhone separately as “her” (logged in using our booking number), and filled in her iPhone number, address etc.  Then I tried booking her as a single speciality restaurant reservation at the same time as I had already booked me.  Worked like a charm!  Got the credit which erased the charges.  So we have two independent reservations at the same time, but both are free.  Don’t know whether this applies to everything, but it is how it’s working now.  Maybe if you logged out of you, and then logged in separately as your wife with a different login, you could get this to work on one phone, but I didn’t try that.

Norm

For suite guests each person has the free dinner; so that is why each person has to request the dinner and then get the credit. glad you got it worked out

23 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

For suite guests each person has the free dinner; so that is why each person has to request the dinner and then get the credit. glad you got it worked out

It has never been necessary in the past for suite guests to reserve  the specialty dinner on embarkation day.  We always just check with the restaurant host when we get on board and tell them when we want the table.  Never been an issue

Here is a new one - I got an e-mail telling me that my app and personalizer were synced for the password.  Now when I try to use the website on a laptop it will not take the password but on my phone the website will take the password.  One the app it will not take  the password but will let me log in using booking number, name and birth date.  Go figure

accio_7

Let me try to respond. By the way I am not a fan of the app, but here is my take.

It is best if all of you pre-enter all the immigration, and other personal information including the health information using the Medallion Class App. My understanding is that you will not be allowed to board if the health information is not supplied in advance. Since you are comfortable with this you can enter for them. If you complete all the information then the medallions will be sent to your homes.

There is no charge for a medallion. It comes free with a lanyard. But be aware that when you order your medallion on the app there will be options to purchase with other medallion holders. Suggest you avoid these options. If you find you want a different holder then they are available for purchase on the ship.

Think of the medallion as just a different kind of cruise card. If you have been to Disney it is similar in operation to the wrist bands. You use the quarter sized medallion just like you have used a cruise card in the past and can do all the things you mention, embark, disembark, unlock stateroom doors, and purchase onboard charges. By the way your cabin door will unlock as you approach it, and will lock after you enter.

Princess offers the plus fares. They are $40/pp/day higher than no frills fares. The fares include unlimited wi-fi, value depends on how many and what kind of wi-fi package(s), if any, you may purchase for the 3 of you; Premier Beverage Package which includes 15 alcoholic beverages/pp/day and basically unlimited non-alcoholic beverages per day; gratuities (now call crew incentive), valued between $14.50 to $16.50/pp/day depending on cabin category. If you book the no frills fare each person will be charged the daily gratuity making the real net extra charge approximately $25/pp/day. Two alcoholic beverages plus a few waters, sodas, or specialty coffee drinks and you break even. It's a good deal. There is no extra gratuity added for each beverage ordered. It is all included in the package. Around 95% of all alcoholic beverages are included. Terms and conditions are shown on line if you search Princess Cruises Premier Beverage Package. Also read the Princess FAQ's on their web site. Take note each of you may bring on board 1 x 750ml bottle of wine for use in the cabin. If brought to a public area you will be charged a $20 corkage fee. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

Here is a new one - I got an e-mail telling me that my app and personalizer were synced for the password.  Now when I try to use the website on a laptop it will not take the password but on my phone the website will take the password.  One the app it will not take  the password but will let me log in using booking number, name and birth date.  Go figure

Just tried. Went to Princess site. Selected log in. No problem logging into my account using e-mail address and password. Can then access all booked cruises.

8 minutes ago, skynight said:

Just tried. Went to Princess site. Selected log in. No problem logging into my account using e-mail address and password. Can then access all booked cruises.

You can access but you cannot manage the cruises you need the app for that

@accio_7 November (fingers crossed) will be my our Princess Medallion experience. I have found the weekly Medallion Class Monday's Princess provides on their social media and You Tube channel to be refreshing and informative to know what the medallion can do. I also like how they repeatedly reference you do not NEED to have your phone on you at all times for those of us who like to lock it in the safe upon sail away 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

You can access but you cannot manage the cruises you need the app for that

Correct. Nothing left in the cruise personlizer. To me it's a mistake. Cruise personlizer is so much easier to use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VacayCraver said:

@accio_7 November (fingers crossed) will be my our Princess Medallion experience. I have found the weekly Medallion Class Monday's Princess provides on their social media and You Tube channel to be refreshing and informative to know what the medallion can do. I also like how they repeatedly reference you do not NEED to have your phone on you at all times for those of us who like to lock it in the safe upon sail away 😉

That has always been the case. It's not news. The fact that you need your phone to do the stuff that's necessary to board is another issue. They seem to be avoiding mention of that in the Medallion Class Monday sessions. It's kind of like if I went on and on about how easy it is to "manage my hair" and how "cooperative" it is - without ever mentioning that most of my hair is gone. I've watched all of the Medallion Class Monday videos and have yet to find any real value in any of them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

That has always been the case. It's not news. The fact that you need your phone to do the stuff that's necessary to board is another issue. They seem to be avoiding mention of that in the Medallion Class Monday sessions. It's kind of like if I went on and on about how easy it is to "manage my hair" and how "cooperative" it is - without ever mentioning that most of my hair is gone. I've watched all of the Medallion Class Monday videos and have yet to find any real value in any of them.

Lol. I didn't get the impression at all I wouldn't need my phone to prepare and board. I am speaking about once you are on the ship. You CAN use your phone to do all the extras (like order drinks) although you do not HAVE to use it in order for your Medallion to work. You will just be missing out on all the benefits the Medallion does have to offer. I guess I am a rookie to find those videos are actually of some value to me. I found them enjoyable. 

11 minutes ago, VacayCraver said:

Lol. I didn't get the impression at all I wouldn't need my phone to prepare and board. I am speaking about once you are on the ship. You CAN use your phone to do all the extras (like order drinks) although you do not HAVE to use it in order for your Medallion to work. You will just be missing out on all the benefits the Medallion does have to offer. I guess I am a rookie to find those videos are actually of some value to me. I found them enjoyable. 

I really don't see that many great advantages to the medallion.  I order my drinks at the bar (I have the beverage package), we do club class dining so no need to reserve times, I guess the only advantage I can see on board is finding out where my friends are

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

I really don't see that many great advantages to the medallion.  I order my drinks at the bar (I have the beverage package), we do club class dining so no need to reserve times, I guess the only advantage I can see on board is finding out where my friends are

I agree! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, memoak said:

I also agree. No on board benefits for us. Disadvantage pre-cruise over the cruise personlizer.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, memoak said:

Finding my wife - or her being able to find me - seems like a good thing to me. However, I also look forward to being able to open the door without having to dig out my card when my I've gone to get my wife a plate of cookies...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Finding my wife - or her being able to find me - seems like a good thing to me. However, I also look forward to being able to open the door without having to dig out my card when my I've gone to get my wife a plate of cookies...

I like both those features. I can't think of any other feature I care about. 

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

How about your wife orders a plate of cookies on her app?

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Perhaps the real advantage of the medallion is to Princess in their management of the cruise. I don't think they would be pushing so hard if it was all about benefit to the passenger.

For example, a steward who currently has 17 cabins to manage might be able to take care of 18 if he knew from a broad scale who has left their cabin vice checking each one individually.

Edited by billco