Jewelry Negotiations

HelloFriends

Hello,

Has anyone successfully received a partial refund for a piece of jewelry through the cruise line and/or jeweler?  If so, how did you do it?  Has anyone successfully disputed a jewelry charge on their credit card after a cruise? 

Thank you in advance for your answers. 

Buyer's remorse?  

The only thing I've ever heard of was Diamond International stood behind one of their products a friend had purchased.  She got it appraised at home and it appraised for MUCH less than she had paid, so they refunded her the difference (or a significant portion of the difference).  

But if you didn't purchase from a jeweler who had some sort of guarantee with the product, it's all simply "buyer beware".  

You can't dispute a charge on your credit card unless you can prove fraud on the seller's part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HelloFriends said:

Thank you.  Not buyer's remorse.  The company is Milano.  It's the principal of the matter of purchase price and actual worth and the deal that was supposed to have been made if that makes sense.    

You seem reluctant to give details and that's your privilege.  Have you contacted the cruise line, the jewelry company or your credit card company?

51 minutes ago, HelloFriends said:

Thank you.  Not buyer's remorse.  The company is Milano.  It's the principal of the matter of purchase price and actual worth and the deal that was supposed to have been made if that makes sense.    

It doesn't actually make sense...

Are you saying that they said you'd pay $5000 and then they charged you $8000 and you didn't notice the amount on the receipt until after you got home?  

Or that they said it was worth $8000 and you paid that much and then got it appraised at home and it's only worth $2000?

We can offer more help if we know what the basic problem is.  We don't need your personal info or even details about the item or price paid -- just a generic "the salesman told us it was worth $X and we paid $Y and now we found out it's worth $Z and we called the salesman and he said "blah blah blah"...."

Have you contacted the store that sold you the product?  That's your first step in resolving a problem.

As for the cruise line, unless it was their store or one that they "guaranteed" in port, they really don't have anything to do with the whole thing.... and even if they did guarantee the store, you'd still need to try to resolve the issue with the store first.

And as I stated, the credit card company will only get involved with a chargeback if there is actual fraud taking place, and even then, you're supposed to attempt to resolve the issue with the retailer first.

Yes, all three, Royal Caribbean, Milano, Discover as well as an independent appraiser.  Discover said not to make a formal dispute yet because the cruise line and jewelry company are still communicating with me and they tend to shut down once a formal dispute is made with the credit card company.    

I still don't understand your problem.  Yes, I have successfully disputed erroneous charges many times.  But that doesn't seem to be your issue.  Are you saying you paid for an item and now have an opinion it's not worth what you paid?  If that's the case and if you have any success, let me know.  I've been over paying for booze on cruises for years.  That'll be a nice refund.  😉

• Like 3

Yes, the jewelry company was endorsed by the cruise line.  We were told by the two jewelry company employees as well as the cruise employee that was present at the time of sale that the piece was worth twice as much as we were paying for it.  Unfortunately, we believed it.  Now we believe that it is worth even less then we paid for it.  The receipt was correct as well as the charge on the credit card.  Maybe we just were too gullible at the time.   

2 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I still don't understand your problem.  Yes, I have successfully disputed erroneous charges many times.  But that doesn't seem to be your issue.  Are you saying you paid for an item and now have an opinion it's not worth what you paid?  If that's the case and if you have any success, let me know.  I've been over paying for booze on cruises for years.  That'll be a nice refund.  😉

I've always been told that "value" is what someone's willing to pay for something on a given day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HelloFriends said:

Unless the evidence of your purchase (receipt, guarantee, published advertisement, etc) clearly states the conditions for return and specifications for partial or full reimbursement (e.g., match for appraisal value, competitor price match, etc) and your issue involves the seller violating that agreement in a demonstrable way, you are probably SOL.

Nonetheless, you should at least inform the CC company of your issue(s) and work out with them at what point they should take over your continuing efforts to "make things right" (always amass real evidence that you have attempted to work out an equitable solution with the seller and/or seller's agent). At the same time, gather all your evidence and be prepared to submit to the CC company your written complaint, summary (and copies) of evidence and your very specific request for what remedy you seek.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Unless the evidence of your purchase (receipt, guarantee, published advertisement, etc) clearly states the conditions for return and specifications for partial or full reimbursement (e.g., match for appraisal value, competitor price match, etc) and your issue involves the seller violating that agreement in a demonstrable way, you are probably SOL.

Nonetheless, you should at least file a challenge with your credit card company to start the ball rolling. Do include real evidence that you have attempted to work out an equitable solution with the seller and/or seller's agent. At the same time, amass all your evidence and submit your written complaint, summary (and copies) of evidence and your very specific request for what remedy you seek.

Perhaps if the store wants to be recommended by the cruise line - if it's not already too late - perhaps they'll do the right thing.

17 minutes ago, HelloFriends said:

Yes, the jewelry company was endorsed by the cruise line.  We were told by the two jewelry company employees as well as the cruise employee that was present at the time of sale that the piece was worth twice as much as we were paying for it.  Unfortunately, we believed it.  Now we believe that it is worth even less then we paid for it.  The receipt was correct as well as the charge on the credit card.  Maybe we just were too gullible at the time.   

And just how do you intend to PROVE what the store employees SAID and PROMISED (I.e., guaranteed) regarding the comparable value and returns (but didn't provide you in writing)? 

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And just how do you intend to PROVE what the store employees SAID and PROMISED (I.e., guaranteed) regarding the comparable value and returns (but didn't provide you in writing)? 

Perhaps they can get the difference between what they paid and what it's worth.  But I'd think that's the best case. No idea what the OP wants.

Edited by clo

44 minutes ago, HelloFriends said:

Unfortunately you fell for one of the oldest tricks in the retail book.

I doubt you'll get any sort of refund. This is the sort of thing we all learn the hard way, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Unfortunately you fell for one of the oldest tricks in the retail book.

I doubt you'll get any sort of refund. This is the sort of thing we all learn the hard way, I'm afraid.

I'm trying to remember if we've ever bought anything of particular value outside our home country (US). Can't remember one.

I've purchased nice jewelry abroad, but I don't look at it as any kind of investment. I buy it if I like it and I'm ok with the price. I'm not trying to find deals.

I also steer clear of any shop endorsed by a cruise line. I'd much rather buy earrings from a local person who made them.

• Like 1

Just now, Bizmark'sMom said:

I've purchased nice jewelry abroad, but I don't look at it as any kind of investment. I buy it if I like it and I'm ok with the price. I'm not trying to find deals.

I also steer clear of any shop endorsed by a cruise line. I'd much rather buy earrings from a local person who made them.

It's rare that I ever disagree with you. I have a wonderful silver link bracelet  bought in Mexico about 30 years ago. As you say from a local person. I wish I'd bought six of them because of so many people wanting to take it off my wrist 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HelloFriends said:

So, they told you you were getting a great deal, paying half the price so in a sense you were ripping them off but you now believe you paid more than the item was worth?  

• Haha 1

If you ever buy anything with clear diamonds they depreciate as soon as you leave the shop. It has nothing to do with cruise ship endorsement it is just standard market practice.

Why a Diamond Engagement Ring is NOT a Good Investment

If you want jewellery that appreciates then you need to think about the type of gem stone you purchase especially in terms of its rarity. Anything heavy in gold and silver is usually is a good bet as those metals tend to rise in value. If looking at pearls big is not always better. Big pearls can have only a thin layer of nacre, which is the valuable part of a pearl (inside a pearl is a bead made of the shell of a Japanese clam). So when looking for pearls you not only want a smooth round consistency but good layer of nacre.

In my opinion you should only buy jewellery because you want to wear it not because somone has convinced you it is a great deal. Jewellery is not really the best investment material but if you enjoy wearing it and it makes you happy then you will get good value out of it🤗

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, clo said:

I'm trying to remember if we've ever bought anything of particular value outside our home country (US). Can't remember one.

I have bought stones and a few pieces of jewelry.  In my cases, those pieces that have been appraised,  have been valued (yes, I know about "insurance" appraisal numbers), well above the price I paid.

But no matter what, I was happen with the price I paid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HelloFriends said:

well, you thought you were getting a great deal, a piece you liked for a price you were obviously willing to pay .....and now you realize the deal wasn't great.  I see absolutely no reason for you to expect to be 'refunded' any $$$, they sold you what you wanted, at a price you were willing to pay.  Then you get home and see you paid to much....not fault of theirs, or the cruise.  

Take it as lesson learned, and don't buy jewelry on a cruise.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

And this is why whenever someone asks where the best place in the islands to buy jewelry, i was always respond with "at home, at your local jeweler".

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to buy jewelry, including watches, which clearly weren't made there.

14 hours ago, HelloFriends said:

Well, I think you were kind of taken in by the sales pitch.  But I thought one the reasons touted for the benefits of a cruise line endorsed place was that you could shop with confidence.  Since they (store and cruise employee) outright lied to you, and you based your purchase on the lies, then I would definitely complain to the cruise line as well as the store.   I'm not optimistic but involving the cruise line can't hurt.     

• Like 1