Star Princess - April 2020 - Not on schedule - Where will she be?

Mears Family

Hi,

We were considering a cruise on the Star Princess at the end of April 2020 from Vancouver.  I noticed that she is not on the Princess schedule from April 14th to 30th after her arrival in Vancouver.   She was in dry dock in December 2017 and is due to go to P & O in the fall of 2021.   Wondering if this is a dry dock visit or perhaps a charter.  Any ideas?  Is there a good way to find this out in general?   The thinking here is that it is best to avoid a ship that may still be undergoing major maintenance when she sails with passengers.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Maybe something to do with the Medallion Net Wifi that is supposed to debut on her in June. 

Believe it is routine mandatory dry dock maintenance. They may take this opportunity to complete the MedallionNet installation. 

Why are they putting Medallion Net on her if she is going to P&O in October? They hadn't even switched out the TV's to the new wall mounted flat screens when we were on her in October. And there was no sign of an Medallion installations.

6 hours ago, Deesquared said:

Why are they putting Medallion Net on her if she is going to P&O in October?

Assuming that they will be doing this work, it would be because Carnival Corp intends to put the Medallion technology on all ships on all Carnival Brands.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Assuming that they will be doing this work, it would be because Carnival Corp intends to put the Medallion technology on all ships on all Carnival Brands.

I'm thinking this might be the case and would explain her being out of service during that time.

10 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Gone to PO Australia like others have stated. There is a thread about it on the Australian/NZ forum. 

Not going to P&O until October 2021. Ship requires routine maintenance at certain intervals. I suppose April 2020 is the Star's timing. Fast internet has become a standard. I guess Princess wants it on all their ships. P&O will also want this feature when they receive the ship. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, rocklinmom said:

Maybe something to do with the Medallion Net Wifi that is supposed to debut on her in June. 

IS this June 2020? I am considering booking the Star for a January 2021 cruise and as of yesterday the Star is not showing as a "Medallion" ship. We just sailed on the Medallion ship Crown Princess, and I was not excited about anything except the door unlocking and the very good WiFi. So, if the Star will have that faster WiFi I will be a happy camper!😎

3 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

IS this June 2020? I am considering booking the Star for a January 2021 cruise and as of yesterday the Star is not showing as a "Medallion" ship. We just sailed on the Medallion ship Crown Princess, and I was not excited about anything except the door unlocking and the very good WiFi. So, if the Star will have that faster WiFi I will be a happy camper!😎

The Star is scheduled to sail from San Pedro to Hawaii and Sea of Cortez in January and February 2021 with a 28 day South Pacific at the end of March. The Star is scheduled to have the fast internet service, MedallionNet. The Star is not scheduled to be a medallion class ship.

10 minutes ago, skynight said:

The Star is scheduled to sail from San Pedro to Hawaii and Sea of Cortez in January and February 2021 with a 28 day South Pacific at the end of March. The Star is scheduled to have the fast internet service, MedallionNet. The Star is not scheduled to be a medallion class ship.

That's the one we're considering, 20 Jan 2021, 10 nights to Mexico. That would be nice if it has the faster WiFi. Thanks for the quick reply!

MedallionNet is not the same as a Medallion ship. MedallionNet is simply upgraded Internet service. It was a foolish naming of the product. I know they wanted to tie it into the whole Medallion Class thing but it causes confusion.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Will the Star be outfitted with the new large screen TV's with VOD when they install MedallionNet?  Also the new Princess beds?  We've also booked the 10 Mexican Riviera for Jan 2021 and would be disappointed if none of the upgrades have been done.

• 2 weeks later...