Sleepless in Suite #5186 Eurodam

marluvs2go

I always book mid ship but was curious about the AFT wrap around balcony.  I googled and read reviews here and could not find anything negative about the location and we decided to go for it at an outrageous Neptune Suite Price.  The first nite out of San Diego was a jerking noise filled nitemare.  The bed and cabin are actually moving substantially and the noise inside was horrible.  I did not ask for new cabin since the thought of moving all that was just unpacked was not thrilling, and the second nite was better.  However we had some really rough days at sea and one nite the noise and movement was just like a huge earthquake, we were frightened.  Granted others on the cruise felt the rocking but it was nothing compared to our cabin.   Earplugs gave much needed relief but there was nothing to do about getting to sleep then being literally "jerked" awake by the bed moving.  It felt like a person was jumping up and down  and then being able to shake the bed violently from bottom to top length wise.  Learned a lesson on this and wanted to share.  This sailing was the Panama Canal from San Diego to FLL on Nov 16th 2019.  I did not talk with others in AFT and have no idea if different floors are the same I can only speak for verandah deck 5 port side 5186.  

• Thanks 1

We were recently in 4181 aft wrap on a Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego on the Eurodam.  It was our first Neptune and I booked this room for the large balcony.  I was surprised that this location was so rocky and noisy.  I think the azipods are aft and caused a lot of the noise.  We are usually very happy with deck 4 verandas and they have never been noisy or rocky like 4181 was.   We enjoyed the cruise and the Neptune Suite but I felt like we should have booked the cheaper guarantee option. It’s also a long walk to the Neptune Lounge!

Aft cabins, as well as the most forward cabins, will often have more movement/noise/vibrations in rough seas.  Also, their proximity to engines/mechanical equipment can cause some unpleasant surprises too.  On our first Alaskan cruise (way back in 1997 aboard Legend of the Seas), we were awakened in the middle of the night with vibrations such as the ones you mentioned.  All the objects we'd stored on the vanity and beside tables ended up on the floor.  We were in calm seas, but the engines suddenly ramped up to increase speed, and it caused the shaking.  Thankfully, that heavy vibration never happened again on that cruise.  

For a long time on HAL, we routinely booked inside aft cabins on Deck 1 (one of those large J or K cabins) but never experienced anything approaching our Legend experience.   

Also, keep in mind that the forward cabins on the lower decks may also be subject to the racket from the anchor or other machine noise.  Passengers who stay in cabins under public spaces such as lounges/Sports or Lido Decks or under the kitchen sometimes complain about noise too.

So sorry your cruise was affected negatively; however, it pays to read this site's critique of cabins in addition to asking questions about a certain cabin prior to final payment.  You can also find information about specific cabins in reviews featured on this site.  I hope next time it works out better for you.  Few things are as frustrating on a cruise as a cabin that disappoints for whatever reason.    

Edited by sevenseasnomad

Thank you all for adding to this.  I did research this site and the entire cruise community on line and only got all quiet nice cabin comments specifically for 5186.  So maybe they had exceptional calm seas? its a mystery to me...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, marluvs2go said:

Thank you all for adding to this.  I did research this site and the entire cruise community on line and only got all quiet nice cabin comments specifically for 5186.  So maybe they had exceptional calm seas? its a mystery to me...

Not a mystery to me if you were doing the Panama Canal.

there are some of us that have posted that they won’t do aft cabins due to the vibtations and this itinerary is one good reason.

Great verandah, great view but DH can’t tolerate the cabin.

We stick with midship.

So sorry to hear you had this experience 😞 

I totally sympathize with you and understand.  We had a more  aft cabin once and once was enough 😉

• Like 1

I had an aft Neptune Suite on the Westerdam and the "ride" at that location is "different" at times from other locations.  I think it depends upon wind/sea conditions and at what angle any swells are hitting the ship.  I found it odd, but I was more unhappy with the soot issues on my veranda.  Wouldn't book an aft stateroom on any ship again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marluvs2go said:

all quiet nice cabin comments specifically for 5186.  So maybe they had exceptional calm seas? its a mystery to me...

We had 5186 on the N.A. in the Caribbean and had only a couple of brief periods of strong vibrations or motion, but nothing close to what you describe. Maybe you had exceptionally rough seas.

Edited by catl331

We had a back to back on the Noordam in an aft wrap Neptune on deck four.  Never again.  At one point it felt like someone lifted the bed (while we were in it) and then dropped it.  We got no sleep at all.  We did go to Guest relations.  Fortunately for us they were able to move us to mid ship on the second cruise when there was a no-show.  We will never book an aft wrap again.

Terri

There's been several people that have commented about this on the Eurodam, including me.  We had 6153 on our 2018 Alaska cruise, which is a verandah cabin on the starboard side, aft of the rear elevators.  The noise and vibration was intense at speeds above 18 knots or so.  It had nothing to do with rough seas but seemed related to the propulsion.

It didn't bother my wife as much, but I am a light sleeper and it led to a few nights of little sleep for me on what otherwise was a great cruise. We have an upcoming cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam and booked a cabin further forward specifically for this reason.

I've been in the sister stateroom on her older sister Nieuw Amsterdam as well as the most of the Vista class ships. For me, it is the best stateroom on the ship(s). But then again, I went through 3 cyclones in a little more than a week on board the Zuiderdam. off the Coast of Alaska in September 2011. Let me tell ya, when there is Green water going over the Bridge, ya knows ya is seeing something rarely see my large cruise ship passengers. And I  LOVED them all:)

However, I seldom find passengers who also enjoy the wave action like me:)

I happened to see something that made me see the light as to why your cruise was aRockin and aRollen so much. You went through or near to a BOMB CYCLONE!!!

QUOTE "A record 75-foot wave off California coast was produced by ...

2 days ago - The historic 'bomb cyclone' winter storm set records for big waves and low pressure off northwest California." UNQUOTE

13 minutes ago, IRL_Joanie said:

QUOTE "A record 75-foot wave off California coast was produced by ...

2 days ago - The historic 'bomb cyclone' winter storm set records for big waves and low pressure off northwest California." UNQUOTE

Yikes!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We had a back to back on the Noordam in an aft wrap Neptune on deck four.  Never again.  At one point it felt like someone lifted the bed (while we were in it) and then dropped it.  We got no sleep at all.  We did go to Guest relations.  Fortunately for us they were able to move us to mid ship on the second cruise when there was a no-show.  We will never book an aft wrap again.

Terri

Ditto!   We were in a deck 6 aft wrap a few years ago, on the Nieuw Amsterdam, for 3 weeks.  Never again.  Unfortunately the ship was fully booked, and even though we were willing to go from a Neptune down to whatever mid-ship, we were stuck.  And I found the aft-wrap over-rated as much of the time you couldn't use one side of the balcony anyway, due to wind.

We were in Cabin 5186 on the Eurodam for our Alaska cruise earlier this summer.  We have had aft wrap around Neptune cabins on the Zuiderdam and Niuew Amsterdam.  We know that in heavy seas there would be more movement and noise.  However, the views on the wraparound are extraordinary.   If you are doing a scenic cruise, Alaska and Panama Canal, the huge balcony and 270 degree views, are worth the drawbacks.  One of the other perks of the Neptune suite is being able to order hors d'oeurves for 5 PM happy hour on our balcony.  We would order for 8 persons, and on the Eurodam, bring down a couple of pizzas for our family group.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WisRiver said:

We were in Cabin 5186 on the Eurodam for our Alaska cruise earlier this summer.  We have had aft wrap around Neptune cabins on the Zuiderdam and Niuew Amsterdam.  We know that in heavy seas there would be more movement and noise.  However, the views on the wraparound are extraordinary.   If you are doing a scenic cruise, Alaska and Panama Canal, the huge balcony and 270 degree views, are worth the drawbacks.  One of the other perks of the Neptune suite is being able to order hors d'oeurves for 5 PM happy hour on our balcony.  We would order for 8 persons, and on the Eurodam, bring down a couple of pizzas for our family group.  

There are always trade-offs.  However sleep is important.  More important than the views.  I can get the view elsewhere on the ship.  

I agree that the veranda on the aft wrap is great.  But only if you can use it.  Not if it’s a wind tunnel as it was for us.

Terri

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Yikes!!

I also forgot to mention that the last Bomb Cyclone (week of 24 September 2011) was so wild and Unexpected by the highest Ship Officers were Standing around at 9:45am PST with all of our 60+CC members for our M&G when alarms started going off, Sat phones or Ship Phones (not sure which) started ringing as the ship took her first of many extreme lists. That is how unexpected it was. We took 2 (two)20% lists and headed out about 1 mile into the Pacific Ocean, as did the Westerdam.

\

No my friend the Yikes came 2 fold for hubby and I....... Hubby was leaving the Crow's Nest to return to our stateroom to take some Dramamine. As he entered the elevator a very dear friend (God rest her soul) start to scooter into the elevator on her geriatric scooter when the 1st  of the 20% lists hit. Would not have been bad... except for the fact the list shot her scooter shooting into the elevator and hubby!!!! Thankfully the ship righted itself before they made contact:)

Mine almost became the Media Headline "Cruise Line announces missing passenger in Gulf of Alaska. It is believed the passenger jumped from her rear facing stateroom after Cruise Critic Meet and Greet she was hosting turned into major catastrophe."

I had been feeling the rocking and rolling of the storm and for me the relief is sitting in fresh air and watching the horizon, which is what I was doing when the ship did that infamous first list............I sat there in one deck chair closest to my door and watched as 1/2 our deck furniture went piling OFF the ship!!!  It was the same moment I realized I was looking down to the sea below......................I was able to get to my knees (trying to make my self smaller and grabbed the door handle and get back into my stateroom and sit on a suite chair to calm down..............  Those were our 2 Yikes moment:)

BTW the funniest thing ever happened as the storm started to subsided. Roger had been trying to ease his sea sickness ny Dramamine and nap. As he woke he started searching for something on his chest and then his cell phone. I asked him why he needed his cell, he said, "So I can call 911." Huhhhhhhhhhh???? Why do you want to call 911? I don't think they can do  a better job than the Captain...........

Joanie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IRL_Joanie said:

I also forgot to mention that the last Bomb Cyclone (week of 24 September 2011) was so wild and Unexpected by the highest Ship Officers were Standing around at 9:45am PST with all of our 60+CC members for our M&G when alarms started going off, Sat phones or Ship Phones (not sure which) started ringing as the ship took her first of many extreme lists. That is how unexpected it was. We took 2 (two)20% lists and headed out about 1 mile into the Pacific Ocean, as did the Westerdam.

\

No my friend the Yikes came 2 fold for hubby and I....... Hubby was leaving the Crow's Nest to return to our stateroom to take some Dramamine. As he entered the elevator a very dear friend (God rest her soul) start to scooter into the elevator on her geriatric scooter when the 1st  of the 20% lists hit. Would not have been bad... except for the fact the list shot her scooter shooting into the elevator and hubby!!!! Thankfully the ship righted itself before they made contact:)

Mine almost became the Media Headline "Cruise Line announces missing passenger in Gulf of Alaska. It is believed the passenger jumped from her rear facing stateroom after Cruise Critic Meet and Greet she was hosting turned into major catastrophe."

I had been feeling the rocking and rolling of the storm and for me the relief is sitting in fresh air and watching the horizon, which is what I was doing when the ship did that infamous first list............I sat there in one deck chair closest to my door and watched as 1/2 our deck furniture went piling OFF the ship!!!  It was the same moment I realized I was looking down to the sea below......................I was able to get to my knees (trying to make my self smaller and grabbed the door handle and get back into my stateroom and sit on a suite chair to calm down..............  Those were our 2 Yikes moment:)

BTW the funniest thing ever happened as the storm started to subsided. Roger had been trying to ease his sea sickness ny Dramamine and nap. As he woke he started searching for something on his chest and then his cell phone. I asked him why he needed his cell, he said, "So I can call 911." Huhhhhhhhhhh???? Why do you want to call 911? I don't think they can do  a better job than the Captain...........

Joanie

Goodness me, what a story!  I was actually on an Alaska cruise in that very same storm - possibly on the same ship? - and it was quite something, but the only major damage I recall was an outside door actually torn from it's hinges (because some idiot left it open after being outside against all orders) and it ended up overboard.  I must admit to being very nervous, but my DH slept through it all.  The crew was great, and had everything ship-shape in no time.

When the ship is climbing over large swells (big ones) the aft end will lift up slightly and then drop.  That would give aft cabins that lifting effect and then sinking.   Also, when the ship climbs over a large swell, the azipods also will get close to the surface and create some noise and vibration.   We were in an aft veranda on the Eurodam, deck 4, from San Diego to Hawaii and Tahiti for 28 days.  As usual, the first 2 days out of San Diego, we had rough seas, but the movement and vibration didn't bother us at all.   We always try to book aft cabins when available, but unfortunately, there's not too many of those and they go fast.

6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Holy smokes!  That would have been terrifying!!  I bet the crew had quite a few messes to clean up after that.  The first mess for me would be my pants.

Believe me there were messes all over the ship, to include the Crow's Nest when all of the goodies provided by the ship hit the floor. I felt awful for the Chef and his staff because they'd worked gorgeous goodies, carved melons and more and the only thing that survived was the Ice Water and the 50 person flat cake....

Oh well, we got a lot in return though...Memories of all that seemed disastrous at the time, is absolutely hilarious in the retelling:)

Joanie

2 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Goodness me, what a story!  I was actually on an Alaska cruise in that very same storm - possibly on the same ship? - and it was quite something, but the only major damage I recall was an outside door actually torn from it's hinges (because some idiot left it open after being outside against all orders) and it ended up overboard.  I must admit to being very nervous, but my DH slept through it all.  The crew was great, and had everything ship-shape in no time.

You were either on our ship Zuiderdam or Westerdam. We were the last 2 HAL ships closing out the Alaska Season. And we both ended up about a mile apart in the Pacific:) 

Was the door you are talking about the LIDA Aft doors?  If so, YES that was the same cruise. The Captain had shut down all outside decks and the crews had placed semi blockades to the Lido Aft so the idiot  opening and causing it's breakage had no excuse. 

Joanie

• Like 1