Live on zuiderdam...ugh

Cruiser785

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I wonder who makes the decision to release the ship from dry dock?

Though not every problem might be identified before the release, clearly there should be procedures that clear the major systems as “good to go”. Perhaps they should tweak those procedures a bit. Or am I being unrealistic in thinking the water and AC problems should have been identified before the release from dry dock?

Hope the hot water & AC problems are fixed for good - and soon.

Sure, in a perfect world,   they would have held   the ship in  dry dock longer But we can imagine what those with the cancelled cruise would be writing here on Cc ... Not that too many of us  would blame them...........

Not many of us live in a perfect world'.    My world surely is far from perfect.

Hopefully, during the hours  that have elapsed, progress has been made on getting the systems functioning properly.

Would You rather the cruise was cancelled or  be sailing in such uncomfortable conditions?  They should Cancel he cruise  IMO       

Yes, I know the  harm that can do to many 'guests'   but, it beats having no a/c or hot water. Some people's health does not permit them to just roll with it.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Would You rather the cruise was cancelled or  be sailing in such uncomfortable conditions?  They should Cancel he cruise  IMO       

Another option might have been to give guests an opportunity to forgo the cruise in exchange for a full refund. I know that it would not be a popular choice for folks who had traveled long distances to board the ship, but those who live within a reasonable distance might be willing to take the gamble if given the choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Would You rather the cruise was cancelled or  be sailing in such uncomfortable conditions? 

HAL could schedule an adequate amount of time in the first place. 

Too many reports in the last few years of HAL ships coming out of dry dock and work has not been completed. They should have enough experience at this to be able to gauge the required amount of time, and bite the bullet by taking the ship out of service while the work gets done completely. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, RuthC said:

HAL could schedule an adequate amount of time in the first place. 

Too many reports in the last few years of HAL ships coming out of dry dock and work has not been completed. They should have enough experience at this to be able to gauge the required amount of time, and bite the bullet by taking the ship out of service while the work gets done completely. 

Yes, of course, but too late for that  as applies to this  b adly lacking  Zudm cruise   but for  future dry docks, Yes

Follow the money,.  It is possible it costs way more for 'door A'   vs.  'door  B'.  Most of such decisions come back  to $ 

HAL will  provide some  compensation, get horrid PR, lose  some customers , blah, blah,,, not the first (nor possibly the last time)

Edited by sail7seas

If dry dock facilities are in such short supply, then HAL may have had no choice but to vacate the premises to make room for the next customer. Even if hefty fines or penalties are levied, the domino effect would not be welcome by other cruise lines.

That is not an exoneration of HAL, as perhaps they should have allowed for the extra time when booking the slot. (Note: I am not a logistics manager so perhaps it is not quite a simple as it seems...)

3 hours ago, noblepa said:

I think that, unless the ship will not float, it leaves the drydock at its appointed time. Drydocks capable of holding large ships and doing the work needed, are few and far between. They are booked years in advance.

Overstaying the ship's scheduled period is usually not an option.

So, the ship sails, whether its 100 percent ready or not.

Also, the cruise line probably loses a million dollars per day when the ship is not in service. They don't want to cancel cruises and refund fares already paid.

Thank you. That makes sense.

So once the crew determined there were problems, there should have been a meeting of all departments to discuss options for making their customers as comfortable as possible, e.g., a fan in each cabin without AC. And what they might be able to offer as a way to apologize for those feeling the worst of the impact. I could see if a cabin here or there was having problems, but if one walks through a section of the ship and feels the heat & humidity- there is a significant problem. 

Clearly they figured out a way a round the computer issue.  Perhaps all their focus was on that problem.

Happy to report that after 2 days of sweat...we have changed cabins, as have many others in our original area. It was a lot to pack and get resettled,  but I am sitting in a cool cabin recovering and relieved that it is behind us. Hubby was informed that since we are now upgraded, there will be no other compensation...not that we asked, but it cost them nothing to move us. The cabin was empty all along. It cost us, as we tipped our steward for helping us!! Hope others did as well. He loses a bigger tip from us 8 days from now. So, he's the loser here. I can only imagine the notes written in the computer about us and how many complaints were made, but obviously others complained more, as many moved early this morning. I am grateful, but should not be made to feel bad about it...and the hours at guest services accomplishing nothing, until this afternoon. Yay for Queen for listening to us...and seeing my hubby's sweat and my tears. As soon as we said goodbye to our old steward, maintenance knocked, saying they were here to fix our toilet...my reaction was sheer laughter...what now?  So, here we go again...I think this is the end of us on HAL. Thx for your many ideas and support...tomorrow is Bonaire and we will be glad to get off this ship, if only for the day! 

Glad things have finally gotten better.   To all those suggesting the ship should have stayed in drydock longer......these problems don't require being in a drydock....they could be fixed just tied up to a pier.   The issue with drydocks is the time when the ship is actually raised out of the water...usually for engine/thruster repairs....that time is very tightly scheduled....but to fix A/C or hot water problems doesn't require any drydock.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cruiser785 said:

Happy to report that after 2 days of sweat...we have changed cabins, as have many others in our original area. It was a lot to pack and get resettled,  but I am sitting in a cool cabin recovering and relieved that it is behind us. Hubby was informed that since we are now upgraded, there will be no other compensation...not that we asked, but it cost them nothing to move us. The cabin was empty all along. It cost us, as we tipped our steward for helping us!! Hope others did as well. He loses a bigger tip from us 8 days from now. So, he's the loser here. I can only imagine the notes written in the computer about us and how many complaints were made, but obviously others complained more, as many moved early this morning. I am grateful, but should not be made to feel bad about it...and the hours at guest services accomplishing nothing, until this afternoon. Yay for Queen for listening to us...and seeing my hubby's sweat and my tears. As soon as we said goodbye to our old steward, maintenance knocked, saying they were here to fix our toilet...my reaction was sheer laughter...what now?  So, here we go again...I think this is the end of us on HAL. Thx for your many ideas and support...tomorrow is Bonaire and we will be glad to get off this ship, if only for the day! 

Yay!

Imagine all the free, positive publicity HAL would get, if they were prepared up front to do this.  We all know stuff happens, but how one makes up for it - is the real message.  But employees have to be empowered to do this.

I am relieved for you that you have a cabin with A/C now.

I am more than slightly disgusted that you were told this:

1 hour ago, Cruiser785 said:

Hubby was informed that since we are now upgraded, there will be no other compensation

IMHO that is inexcusable, that anyone would say such a thing, suggesting that your "upgrade" should get you to feel well-served.  "Well-served" wold have included air conditioning in your original cabin.  Or a much quicker solution to the problem.

1 hour ago, Cruiser785 said:

I think this is the end of us on HAL.

It is unfortunate you feel that way but it is completely understandable that you do.

I would write a letter to the corporate office when you get home and express your disappointment in having to wait two days to get a room with functioning A/C.  Leave hyperbole and emotion out of it and state the basic facts, including that you had to spend a great deal of time at the guest relations desk asking for help.  I cannot imagine that they will not offer some sort of compensation.  

I would also not be surprised if the lower-level employees have only been told to not offer anything extra because there are discussions underway to determine compensation for everyone involved.  With this many cabins having issues, the decision is going to be happening off the ship, too.  I would give it a few days and then ask to speak to the hotel manager.

1 minute ago, bEwAbG said:

I would write a letter to the corporate office when you get home and express your disappointment in having to wait two days to get a room with functioning A/C.  Leave hyperbole and emotion out of it and state the basic facts, including that you had to spend a great deal of time at the guest relations desk asking for help.  I cannot imagine that they will not offer some sort of compensation.  

I agree, but I would also do a comment card, AND in both communications talk about the inappropriate treatment you received from that employee.  Never appropriate to make it appear how “lucky” the customer is. The person would not have that job, if there were no customers.

43 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Holland America website on board is free whether you buy internet or not.  If I were the OP, I’d be emailing NOW.  With luck, it might be addressed before they get off the ship.  If it’s a 7 day cruise, most likely it will not, sadly.

39 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I would also not be surprised if the lower-level employees have only been told to not offer anything extra because there are discussions underway to determine compensation for everyone involved.  With this many cabins having issues, the decision is going to be happening off the ship, too.  I would give it a few days and then ask to speak to the hotel manager.

I agree - the OP may well receive some OBC on board - I hope they receive some type of compensation.  

I fail to understand why they weren’t moved earlier if the cabins were available.

Moving on the ship is quite easy thanks to the stewards - all that is involved is your drawers/shelves and safe.  The stewards move all the hanging items in your closet and your suitcases.

• Like 3

Perhaps, I misunderstood but  I have been under the impresssion OP  was in a Neptune  Suite, yet she made no reference  to Neptune Lounge or concierges.  If they were,indeed, in a Neptune why were they going to front office?   I would have pulled up a chair and sat as  close to concierge as possbile and not have moved until something 'to aid  my comfort in a cabin was accomplished.  What  I would Not do is join a line at front office.  

I wonder how many who were  so uncomfortable, called directly to HAL Seattle offices.  Did they make contact with anyone who could,   did help them?

I hope all is now smooth  sailing and the cruise turns out to offer needed comfort and rest.

OP :  Thank you for   the reports and updates.   PLease have some fun and tell us ab out it so  we can feel better for all of you aboard  Zdam.  Stay safe and  enjoy your ports and hopefuly, a more comfortable ship.

35 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Perhaps, I misunderstood but  I have been under the impresssion OP  was in a Neptune  Suite, yet she made no reference  to Neptune Lounge or concierges.  If they were,indeed, in a Neptune why were they going to front office?   I would have pulled up a chair and sat as  close to concierge as possbile and not have moved until something 'to aid  my comfort in a cabin was accomplished.  What  I would Not do is join a line at front office.  

Their first cabin was on deck 1. Are their Neptune Suites on deck 1?  I thought they were only available on deck 5 or higher. But I am not an expert on the deck plan of each ship.

Edited by cat shepard

40 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Perhaps, I misunderstood but  I have been under the impresssion OP  was in a Neptune  Suite, yet she made no reference  to Neptune Lounge or concierges. 

The OP’s initial post stated that their cabin was on deck 1.  I don’t know of any Neptune Suites there 😉 

On 12/12/2019 at 10:59 AM, Cruiser785 said:

How was yuor cabin upgraded?  What was your original room type? what did they move you into?

Hello. OP here. We were in an outside cabin on deck 1. (Wish it was a suite!!) We spent the first night on deck 4 in an outside cabin...were told it was one night only...so spent night 2 sweating it out in original cabin. Now, we have a balcony on deck 5. (Lovely) it was nice and cool last night. So strange to appreciate the small things, like ac, but when you dont have it in the Caribbean, this is a problem for us...plus the fact that we paid for a comfortable cabin and didn't get one. But, 3rd night in our 3rd bed was a nice one. I have not emailed HAL yet. Busy celebration of hubby's birthday today and the thought of rehashing this experience is quite frankly upsetting. We asked for so little,  were made to feel it was so much, and a bit ashamed for bothering guest services with calls every few hours and standing in line getting nowhere. There was a young man in our same situation and he got very loudly angry...was walked away by a suit, but surely got more than everyone else. We have had an extraordinarily difficult year...I wasnt up for yelling or even writing a scathing email. I also didn't want my husband to see how upset I was and not be able to help me/us. Quite frankly, I don't even want OBC for the future, as we dont plan to be back. Perhaps when we get home, I'll feel differently,  but for now, this wore us out. Believe me, they don't care about losing customers.  There are plenty...we are platinum on Princess and Carnival and shall stick with them. However, you all have been so kind and supportive and I am grateful for this community. Happy holiday season to all of you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Their first cabin was on deck 1. Are their Neptune Suites on deck 1?  I thought they were only available on deck 5 or higher. But I am not an expert on the deck plan of each ship.

No,   There  are  not   any Neptune suites on Deck 1 !

I am quite sure I commented in my post, that  perhaps I misunderstood.

4 minutes ago, Cruiser785 said:

Now, we have a balcony on deck 5. (Lovely) it was nice and cool last night. So strange to appreciate the small things, like ac, but when you dont have it in the Caribbean, this is a problem for us...plus the fact that we paid for a comfortable cabin and didn't get one. But, 3rd night in our 3rd bed was a nice one.

Happy to hear that you now have A/C and are much more comfortable and enjoying a balcony cabin.

Glad that 3rd time was the charm and sorry it took so long for this to get fixed for you.

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

So, perhaps you could kindly  forgive  my confusion

forgive my confusion.

Edited by sail7seas

22 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

So, perhaps you could kindly  forgive  my confusion

forgive my confusion.

Nothing to forgive. I did not know the answer. Kazu set us both straight. 😎

And most importantly- the OP is now comfortable. Albeit after a very frustrating and unpleasant experience.

OP-I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through all this.  It’s certainly not a vacation when you’ve had to endure stress from pretty much the first moment you showed up at the pier.  

I’m sure you are keeping detailed notes.  When you get home I’d write the letter/email in detail.  

Please try to enjoy the rest of your cruise as you certainly deserve it.