Nieuw Amsterdam Stranded in Port Everglades - Advice?

spkack

Just now, spkack said:

Captain advised they may cancel the entire cruise.  Repairs more significant than originally thought.  Final decision by noon today.

Oh dear!  Well at least if the cruise is cancelled, you'll get a refund.  Sorry to hear this.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

25 minutes ago, spkack said:

Captain advised they may cancel the entire cruise.  Repairs more significant than originally thought.  Final decision by noon today. ☹️

WOW!  

Sorry to hear this 😞 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

A tip for your next cruise: pack a $2 hanging car air freshener -- the ones that are shaped like a flat pine tree. I get the 'ocean breeze' or similar.  Onboard, I hang it under our bathroom sink. Takes up no luggage space, is TSA compliant, and solves an amazing amount of odors coming from or into your bathroom.

I know this doesn't help today, but next time you'll have the best smelling cabin onboard!

Great tip!!

2 hours ago, spkack said:

At this point I'd rather they let us off and pro-rate a refund.  I booked through Costco who will be alerted as well.  Very, very disappointing experience all around.

I'm sure it's upsetting to be sitting there unable to sail but I think you're being unreasonable in expecting them to offer passengers the option to leave before a decision has been made about the sailing. Very few are likely in a position like you where they can just get off and drive home. I'm sure that if they cancel you will receive a full refund (and probably something towards a future cruise), but then they will have to start making travel adjustments for most people on board.

• Like 2

Thanks for the sanity check, we all need them once in awhile.  I understand your point, but isn’t that the service model - to provide passengers with a customized experience?  No reason they can’t provide the many locals onboard the option to go home and get a refund, or even rebook any available cabins on the Konigsdam which is leaving today on the same itinerary.  While I feel for the crew - they have been marvelous - this “hotel stay” is not what I paid for.  Assuming we leave tomorrow morning as scheduled we will have missed nearly 30% of the trip.  

• Like 1

Yes your are on a vacation and you paid for it, but a ship is a means of transport like an airplane. It has to be safe to sail before it can leave. Cruise lines hate cancelling cruises more than airlines hate cancelling flights. But if it's not safe to leave, then you have to accept that and chalk it up to bad luck.

Good Luck and Safe Travels

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spkack said:

Thanks for the sanity check, we all need them once in awhile.  I understand your point, but isn’t that the service model - to provide passengers with a customized experience?  No reason they can’t provide the many locals onboard the option to go home and get a refund, or even rebook any available cabins on the Koningsdam which is leaving today on the same itinerary.  While I feel for the crew - they have been marvelous - this “hotel stay” is not what I paid for.  Assuming we leave tomorrow morning as scheduled we will have missed nearly 30% of the trip.  

They never let people disembark when they want, and given the current situation they don't need to add more complexity to the current situation. While switching to another cruise leaving today seems to make a lot of sense, I suspect that they would not be able to get you added to the manifest in time (even though you were already cleared for your existing cruise). Plus how would they decide who gets whatever cabins (if any) that are available? That would make things even worse!

• Like 1

I thought the Captain’s letter very informative. The ship could safely sail with one azipod, but would have to change the itinerary. But authorities have to grant permission to do this. And, of course, someone would have to scramble to make the arrangements, no matter which decision is made.

A tough call for everyone, and even tougher to sit through as a passenger. Not the vacation one hopes for. My sympathies.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wesport said:

We board her next Saturday for a week. Wonder if that will be affected.

The way the captain was talking the ship is not sea worthy enough to make it to the Carribbean.  Any itinerary would likely be limited to the Bahamas.  Sounds like they may need to dry dock it somehow to replace the Azipod.

3 hours ago, spkack said:

The way the captain was talking the ship is not sea worthy enough to make it to the Carribbean.  Any itinerary would likely be limited to the Bahamas.  Sounds like they may need to dry dock it somehow to replace the Azipod.

I hear that there will be a full refund plus 100% cruise credit. IMO, that's decent of HAL.

The important thing is that you weren't stranded somewhere in the Caribbean Sea.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I hear that there will be a full refund plus 100% cruise credit. IMO, that's decent of HAL.

The important thing is that you weren't stranded somewhere in the Caribbean Sea.

While I'd be unhappy about taking time off from work for a vacation that never happened, I would feel HAL more than compensated me if I received this.  I feel empathy for all the disappointed, upset passengers, some of whom must scramble for flights home and for HAL, who loses some future passengers (maybe) and profit (definitely).

20 minutes ago, iamwiz82 said:

I can say that we don’t have animosity towards HAL over this.  Such is life.  They also are zeroing our all onboard accounts, so this is a major financial hit to them. 

I like you attitude 🙂 

Yes, I agree HAL is trying to do the best it can for it’s customers.  Zeroing out on board accounts can be a biggie especially if some are staying on overnight tonight 😉