Does Norwegian serve lobster in any restaurant?

guest4254

Just booked our 6th Norwegian cruise for February 2020. As we'll be getting dinner in 3 specialty restaurants, it occurred to me that I don't recall ever seeing Lobster on the menu in any of our previous cruises. We've been on Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and I seem to recall that there was always a "lobster tail" dinner night in the free dining restaurants. Does anyone know whether Lobster is on any menu on any Norwegian ship?

I too recall when lobster tail was served the first formal "Captain's Dinner" night. As others have pointed out - that tradition is long gone and I can't recall the last time or on which line we experienced it last (tempted to say Royal in 2003).

We were on the 12/02 GEM sailing and my husband paid the $19 upcharge to add a lobster tail to his steak at Cagney's. I would have to agree with Flaham who said not to bother. The "tail" was so small it was only three bites to eat it. Hubby says it tasted good but was not worth an upcharge as it was so little. We did leave this feedback on a dining comment card but was not contacted while on the ship.

He bought a full lobster while on Cockleshell Beach in St. Kitts and he says it fantastic and worth every single penny (I believe it was $45 USD). 

I think people can deal with paying an upcharge as long as they feel that they got what they expected. What is currently being served does not meet expectations. We have chalked that $19 up to a live and learn experience.

That meal in Cagney's was the only "miss" on our cruise though as the remainder of the food - both in speciality and main dining room - ranged from very good to exceptional (I had better beef in Le Bistro).

9 hours ago, herdingdogmom said:

I had lobster in Bayamo in the Escape last month for a $19 upcharge to the dining package.  It wasn’t very good.  I believe lobster is also offered in Cagney’s for an upcharge.

No MDR (free) lobster in NCL for quite a few years.

I also had the lobster in Bayamo on the Escape in October.  It was pretty bad.  I have had better lobster from the supermarket.

5 hours ago, DinaS said:

I don't know how to remove this quote box.

Remember NCL stands for

No Complimentary Lobster

Every other Cruise line based in the US serves as much lobster as you want, free of charge, in the MDR. NCL is also the only line not to offer shrimp cocktail every night in the NCL.

Somehow NCL has discovered the secret of serving chicken wings on cruise ships since no there cruise line has ever tried (maybe DCL)

Edited by lizord
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lizord said:

Remember NCL stands for

No Complimentary Lobster

Every other Cruise line based in the US serves as much lobster as you want, free of charge, in the MDR. NCL is also the only line not to offer shrimp cocktail every night in the NCL.

Somehow NCL has discovered the secret of serving chicken wings on cruise ships since no there cruise line has ever tried (maybe DCL)

Being a mostly Royal Caribbean cruiser, their free lobster dinners are only offered on the last formal [now called Dress Your Best] night, although lobster is offered in the main dining rooms every night for an uncharge. These lobster dinners are only offered on sailings of 5 nights or more and I don't believe there are any "lobster nights" on European and Mediterranean sailings, but are definitely included on their Transatlantics to/from European ports. 

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with a lobster dinner.  I get that if it is included in the regular cruise fees it is a bit of a treat, but is it?  Admittedly I haven't even gone on my first cruise yet but I've been to many all inclusives including ones that have boasted a lobster dinner.  My experience was the lobster tail was mushy and really not a nice thing to eat.  I think some are expecting to get a giant rock lobster tail with drawn butter.  But if a cruise ship is doing an included lobster tail night, you can only imagine the quality.  sorry pass.

Ocean blue serves a surf and turf with a lobster tail and tenderloin.  Was one of the best meals I have had on Norwegian.  Scallop appetizer was also incredible.  We went to Ocean Blue twice on the Breakaway in July 2019 and I got lobster both times.  They hint there is an up-charge, but there was not one and I used one of our free specialty dining.

27 minutes ago, ScottnBobbi said:

Ocean blue serves a surf and turf with a lobster tail and tenderloin.  Was one of the best meals I have had on Norwegian.  Scallop appetizer was also incredible.  We went to Ocean Blue twice on the Breakaway in July 2019 and I got lobster both times.  They hint there is an up-charge, but there was not one and I used one of our free specialty dining.

There wasn't an upcharge for a time, but it's been reported that NCL has reinstated it.

Edited by njhorseman

Amazingly, seafood is NOT the best options on cruises.  For the lines that do a "lobster tail" night..it's generally "rock" lobster (warm water tail) as opposed to "Maine" lobster (cold water tail)....not the same taste at all.  And all seafood is frozen, just like you buy in a grocery store...even if you get it "thawed" out of the seafood case....it's ALL "previously frozen".    The only way to be assured it's "freshly caught" is to catch it yourself.

17 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Amazingly, seafood is NOT the best options on cruises.  For the lines that do a "lobster tail" night..it's generally "rock" lobster (warm water tail) as opposed to "Maine" lobster (cold water tail)....not the same taste at all.  And all seafood is frozen, just like you buy in a grocery store...even if you get it "thawed" out of the seafood case....it's ALL "previously frozen".    The only way to be assured it's "freshly caught" is to catch it yourself.

This is accurate.  You can go to a Red Lobster in the middle of the US where there's no ocean, pick out your live maine lobster and it will generally be cooked to perfection; it will match or beat 95% of other restaurants boiled and drawn butter lobster dinners as it's a maine lobster, not frozen and unless the cook is trying to get fired, won't be overcooked.  However, there are some out there that prefer their lobster meat be shopped up and thrown in some sauce.

I was just in Ocean Blue on the bliss. They offered a one and half pound lobster for the standard 35 dollar charge with no surcharge on the dinning package. This is a change from a few months ago when their was a surcharge.

Edited by waterjock

BirdTravels, was this on Encore?

I wish I had a picture of the very small lobster tail I had with the Surf &Turf on Getaway in November.   It was very good, but no where near the size in your picture.  We used the Dining package plus paid the $19 upcharge for the Surf & Turf.  

We did go back a second time during that cruise but I didn't try the Lobster again.   However, loved both meals in OB.

Every time I have had lobster in the last year on NCL,  maybe twenty times or so,  it has been tiny and a few times had to return it because it was very mushy.  About 3 bites per tail.  A joke to be sure considering what they charge for it.

Edited by Love my butler

On 12/20/2019 at 6:57 PM, GettotheSun said:

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with a lobster dinner.  I get that if it is included in the regular cruise fees it is a bit of a treat, but is it?  Admittedly I haven't even gone on my first cruise yet but I've been to many all inclusives including ones that have boasted a lobster dinner.  My experience was the lobster tail was mushy and really not a nice thing to eat.  I think some are expecting to get a giant rock lobster tail with drawn butter.  But if a cruise ship is doing an included lobster tail night, you can only imagine the quality.  sorry pass.

Absolutely this. I don’t understand all of the drama that gets wrapped up in the availability of some frozen lobster tails. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/20/2019 at 3:57 PM, GettotheSun said:

I completely understand your comments but, as a long time cruiser, I will repeat what someone once said: Not everyone orders 5 lobster tails on lobster night, but the fact that you can, sells a lot of cruises.

I always like the lobster, and the ability for "All You Can Eat" makes it special to me.  But frankly, even if I didn't like it, it's the mental aspect of feeling like you are on a luxury vacation with AYCE "delicacies" that drive many of us. I find it funny when so many jump into a lobster question only to say things like "don't order it", "it''s awful", "it's not real lobster", "you won't miss it", etc.

IOW, people don't usually ask questions about lobster tails being served because they are expecting the best in the world.  It's just a fun mindset. LOL, the people, I would imagine, that really hate the lobsters, are the people from the NorthEast U.S.

I've been on 34 cruises and I now love NCL, but I do miss the lobster nights in the MDR, whether they were good or not.  

8 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I completely understand your comments but, as a long time cruiser, I will repeat what someone once said: Not everyone orders 5 lobster tails on lobster night, but the fact that you can, sells a lot of cruises.

BTW: you are picking a fight with a post made 2 years ago on a dead thread. 

• Like 2