Help carrying on wine!

Ombud

I have an assorted case leftover after the holidays so thought I'd bring 4 instead of 1 + mini assortment on the next 2 cruises. Probably a 1 time thing SO ~~~~ How do I pack it for an international flight? I'll just carry separately for the SF one in March.

How do you do it?

Assuming I have any left by the time I'm on the Majestic, would a separate box work? Having UPS pack it? FWIW I have space in my suitcase but I over packed and broke one on the South America cruise. Do not want to go thru that again

Ok I understand.  While not a wine snob, I do enjoy some good stuff.  And I usually share the wine with new or old friends, some met from roll calls.  I few years ago a friend gave me this wine case.  I think it was in her family and is obviously old,.  It was meant to carry 2 bottles and 4 glasses. We modified it to fit 4 bottles.  It has flown 3 trips full and 2 trips empty LOL. It did enter Canada but that was via a land crossing at a Montana/Alberta Border.  Then it flew from Calgary to Vancouver and once again crossed the US/Canada border to sail “North to Alaska.”  No breakage on all of these trips.  We used it when getting to a wine shoppe appeared more trouble than carrying this thing,  

So it did not fly into another country from the US.  I did read the Alcohol Policy for US citizens interring Canada. The  four 750ml bottles meets for 2 people.  

it is a sturdy leather case with styrofoam packing.  It is easily removed so it becomes the carry on for embarkation. Agents and those at the wine table are quite impressed by it.  

Anyway you get the idea of what type of thing can work. Look on Amazon. That is what I was doing when DH suggested we modify this case.  I am always looking or something easy,  but safe to prevent breakage and less weight of course.  If I find something else I will post here. Good luck!  

PS:  while it  may returned empty of wine, we do place breakable items in it. Uh...maybe wine glasses?  LOL 

image.thumb.jpeg.510841ed6b39603bc65f37e742826683.jpeg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I packed two bottles of wine in my checked luggage earlier this month. They were in a neoprene wine holder and well cushioned by my clothes as well. I transferred them to my backpack for embarkation. 

Thanks. I usually pack just one 750ml or 6 minis. I read " no limit for wine and liquor below 30% vol;" for Hong Kong. It's just that my favorite Napa Valley winery rang up for $1.87 a bottle instead of $15 so I bought the store out. These bottles have a weird label that only works for the holidays. 

I don't drink much but we somehow went thru 1 mixed case at last night's Hanukkah party. With 3 open nearly full bottles in fridge for NYE & a full case still in the box. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Go for it. I've often carried wine in checked baggage, just pad it well and have something impervious around it that won't be cut by the shards if it does break. I've only had one bottle break ever, and I was able to easily dump the remains. So it goes.

Edited by Wehwalt

30 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I’m not packing CK Mondavi Chardonnay with me to a plane. 

You are aware that CK Mondavi is not grown in Napa Valley aren't you? I mean that's common knowledge here

Edited to add: $15 on 12/23 then heavily discounted with Club membership yesterday. Otherwise they re-label them and sell at $15. These grapes ARE grown in Napa Valley 

Edited by Ombud

39 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I’m not packing CK Mondavi Chardonnay with me to a plane. 

Agree, we only pack Rombauer Or similar.  And that is because we  prefer that particular wine.  Otherwise, we don’t bother either. 

The CK was used  to see how it would fit and close, and how much it would weigh.  Otherwise we don’t mess with it at all. I agree it may not be worth it in many cases, but for some in some instances it may be. 

I just I though the picture might be helpful to the OP, as she contemplated  how to solve her problem.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Go for it. I've often carried wine in checked baggage, just pad it well and have something impervious around it that won't be cut by the shards if it does break. I've only had one bottle break ever, and I was able to easily dump the remains. So it goes.

Get wine diapers...it holds all the contents of one bottle of wine.

13 hours ago, milolii said:

Agree, we only pack Rombauer Or similar.  And that is because we  prefer that particular wine.  Otherwise, we don’t bother either

did you see that Princess now has Rombauer on their wine list ... the Chardonnay, anyway.  It is $55 + gratuity for a bottle, less if you buy a wine bottle package. 
seeing it is about $35 + tax a bottle at the store plus, the $15 corkage, it’s almost just easier to get it on the ship in my opinion.  
Now, if it is the Merlot or Sauvignon Blanc you like ... you would have to take your own.

It has to do with their cool moist air. They're just less expensive bc they aren't as known worldwide yet. Which is also why many find Mondavi lacking (hot dry growing area near Sacramento)

Another little known awesome wine is South Africa's Chocolate Bloc wine (red)

Edited by Ombud

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

It has to do with their cool moist air. They're just less expensive bc they aren't as known worldwide yet. 

Very good to know- I love learning about wines, the soil, etc. I belong to a women's wine

group and we have themes for each get together. So, next time we have wines from "down under",

I will be a bit more knowledgeable and will bring a white. There is a New Zealand white that I LOVE

because it tastes like grapefruit.