Jeans allowed?

BigIslandersFan

51 minutes ago, BigIslandersFan said:

I am going on the Sirena. My travel agent called and they said jeans were allowed in the dining room and restaurants, but I am reading on here that there are complaints about this. Does anyone know if jeans are allowed? What is country club casual anyway?

Country club  is  Slacks, Dockers, golf or collared shirt and  shoes.   Sport coat optional for specialties  No baseball hats.       Pants suits or dresses for ladies.    No shorts or beach attire.

Dress like you want to be perceived....   How would you dress at home if going to  a upscale place to eat or party?      Would you feel comfortable wearing jeans when   most other are   not.....  Your call   

Its not a matter of what you can get away with  but manners and decorum of the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Country club  is  Slacks, Dockers, golf or collared shirt and  shoes.   Sport coat optional for specialties  No baseball hats.       Pants suits or dresses for ladies.    No shorts or beach attire.

Dress like you want to be perceived....   How would you dress at home if going to  a upscale place to eat or party?      Would you feel comfortable wearing jeans when   most other are   not.....  Your call   

Its not a matter of what you can get away with  but manners and decorum of the situation.

We know what golf or collared shirts are but I'm fascinated by "slacks and dockers".

19 minutes ago, drib said:

drib parable #1:

Once, in college, young drib had a part-time job as an errand boy in an office. One very hot day, he came to work wearing shorts. He was sent home because shorts were not allowed in the  office dress code. He grumbled a little, but he did change into his big boy pants, and also, he changed into a clean white t-shirt with a "Freakies" cereal logo on it. The t-shirt did not violate the dress code. Thereafter, young drib was permitted to wear shorts on very hot days, but logo t-shirts were no longer allowed.

drib parable #2:

Once, young drib was a junior programmer in an IBM mainframe shop in the City of Angels. One fine day, the mainframe went down. In came five IBM employees wearing blue suits, white shirts, nice ties, and dress shoes. But the five men could not repair the mainframe. So they flew in a sixth man, all the way from New York to California. In came the sixth man wearing faded blue dungaree overalls and a stained white t-shirt. Five minutes later, the sixth man walked back out, and the mainframe was running again.

this font is unreadable on an iPhone!

• Thanks 1

It says in the brochure that jeans are NOT allowed in the MDR but we've seen it. I personally don't like seeing them because the dining room is so elegant. Staff will not say anything. A nice pair of dress pants look so much nicer. Yeah, I guess I'm a bit of a snob lol!!!! I try and go with what the cruise line asks of us. However, I do like that they don't have formal nights. 

6 minutes ago, drib said:

On a recent cruise, on Symphony, I noticed that Reflections described formal option nights three different ways, that I think were conflicting to anyone who over-analyzes words. (Like me!)

On the post cruise survey, I suggested that the formal optional be described simply as this: Business casual, but dress up if you want to!

Then you would have some that business casual is a nice pr of jeans 

You cannot win

pictures of  what is acceptable  or not may work 😉

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dooleygeo said:

It says in the brochure that jeans are NOT allowed in the MDR but we've seen it. I personally don't like seeing them because the dining room is so elegant. Staff will not say anything. A nice pair of dress pants look so much nicer. Yeah, I guess I'm a bit of a snob lol!!!! I try and go with what the cruise line asks of us. However, I do like that they don't have formal nights. 

The staff will turn away people in jeans the rule is NO Jeans in dining room and people  have been asking that the ship follow the rules..

Jancruz1

32 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

The staff will turn away people in jeans the rule is NO Jeans in dining room and people  have been asking that the ship follow the rules..

Jancruz1

But the dress code published in Currents doesn't prohibit all jeans and that takes precedent over the brochure as it reflects the up-to-the-moment rules set by shipboard management. In Currents only "casual jeans" are prohibited .  Now don't ask me to define "casual jeans"...but I suppose it means Lees or Levi's or similar that you would wear at home while relaxing or working in your yard or going to the supermarket as opposed to fancier designer-type jeans. However it appears per many reports that shipboard management has given up on trying to define casual jeans and and just may allow those Levi's.

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

seriously ??

DOCKERS are  a brand name

image.png.05a87a6918983b4f0cabd8daeb2c9567.png

slacks

image.png.a14646aae125141c53c615a845594fb6.png

In the UK Dockers are unknown.  Thank you for the pics.   Now I know what you are talking about.   Very suitable dress for gentlemen in Oceania restaurants.     Jeans are jeans whether they cost $200 or $20 IMHO..    J

• Like 2

I would guess the casual jeans include the ripped ones (whether pre-ripped or ripped through honest wear). Dressy might be colored denim or designer denim.  I generally don't pack jeans on cruises (or most travel) due to the weight and that if I get wet on a shore excursion, they take forever to dry, also dependent on the weather forecast for the trip. My son got turned away from the dining room one night wearing khakis and a nice v-neck t-shirt solid color (he came back soon after in a collared shirt so all was well). And then last year in Toscana one of the people at our table was wearing a dry-fit t shirt with something written on it. It all depends on the maitre'd as to how the dress code will be enforced.

3 hours ago, Jay23 said:

In the UK Dockers are unknown.  Thank you for the pics.   Now I know what you are talking about.   Very suitable dress for gentlemen in Oceania restaurants.     Jeans are jeans whether they cost $200 or $20 IMHO..    J

3 hours ago, Jay23 said:

I seriously thought dockers were another word for boat shoes......

Just now, drkitkat123 said:

In North America, the brand name Dockers has become a generic term for cotton or cotton blend pants which look like the Docker brand pants pictured in Lyn's post. Sort of like Scotch Tape or Band Aid which are also brand names which are used generically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drkitkat123 said:

That would be "topsiders", which is actually also a brand name for boat shoes made by Sperry, but used as a generic name .

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQVsdOZLIY5dHd189QM

Edited by njhorseman

5 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

We were just on the Marina and there were people in Jacques in jeans. As I've repeated the maitre di' said he only turns away shorts and/or flip flops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edgee said:

In North America, the brand name Dockers has become a generic term for cotton or cotton blend pants which look like the Docker brand pants pictured in Lyn's post. Sort of like Scotch Tape or Band Aid which are also brand names which are used generically.

Dockers are made by Levi Strauss. Just so you know.

6 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Jan-  If the dress code comments are correct, it appears that some of the  staff haven't gotten the memo from HQ to follow the rules.  I hope FDR, Bob Binder, and the other brass are following the numerous threads on Oceania and follow through with the GM's and other ship staff, who will send the message down the line.  I hardly care about what others wear or their sense of (or lack there of) fashion, but it does degrade the experience when an upscale venue sets an expectation with a set of rules and then declines enforce them.  

• Like 2

Recently had dinner with my son and wife in Orange County CA at a place costing $60-80 plate. I was getting a cocktail dress ready to wear and my son said, "Mum, it's 88* out, wear shorts". Still wore nice pants. Yet 80% of the people at the restaurant were wearing shorts. I was overdressed.

As Cat Stevens said, "Ooooh baby it's a wild world". 😉

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Jan-  If the dress code comments are correct, it appears that some of the  staff haven't gotten the memo from HQ to follow the rules.  I hope FDR, Bob Binder, and the other brass are following the numerous threads on Oceania and follow through with the GM's and other ship staff, who will send the message down the line.  I hardly care about what others wear or their sense of (or lack there of) fashion, but it does degrade the experience when an upscale venue sets an expectation with a set of rules and then declines enforce them.  

They do not follow CC but I do make sure they get your comments (no all but some)

Jancruz1

• Thanks 1