Pete and Judy's 2020 World Cruise on the ms Amsterdam, Holland America Line

The-Inside-Cabin

9 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

What happens to the passengers with medical waivers?

Not sure, but probably ride the ship back.  May get quarantined on arrival.   I heard ship is going to FLL via Cape Town.    

They said - don't go to medical.  They can't help with waivers.  Exact  waiver process  unknown to me.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jazmyn49 said:

And what is the reaction of passengers to this offer?

Reasonably happy considering the situation.   More disappointment among those where this world cruise was truly a once in a lifetime event.  

Others who do this every year.  Not so much disappointment .    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Reasonably happy considering the situation.   More disappointment among those where this world cruise was truly a once in a lifetime event.  

Others who do this every year.  Not so much disappointment .    

Hubby's aunt and uncle have done this a few times, so it's less of a disappointment for them, as well. I"m looking forward to hearing that they are home in Hawaii.

My heart breaks for those losing their once in a life time cruise.

10 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Reasonably happy considering the situation.   More disappointment among those where this world cruise was truly a once in a lifetime event. Others who do this every year.  Not so much disappointment .

It could still be around the world by way of Dubai.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 1

Everyone waking up here - 7:30 AM Local Time.   Sounds like things are closing up more around the world.   Now wondering if things will change once again.   

Still having a great time here in our cruise ship bubble.   

St Patty's day parties scheduled today.  We may have the biggest one in the world by default!

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

This just in on HAL twitter

Punta Arenas turns away Zaandam

3wrsdhRW_reasonably_small.png

UPDATE (6 p.m. ET): Local authorities did not allow Zaandam to debark guests today at Punta Arenas, Chile. The ship is en route to San Antonio, Chile, for a service call. Our Seattle HQ and the ship are working with governments and embassies on options for where to debark guests.

https://twitter.com/HALcruises/status/1239676074906312704?s=20

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Not sure, but probably ride the ship back.  May get quarantined on arrival.   I heard ship is going to FLL via Cape Town.    

They said - don't go to medical.  They can't help with waivers.  Exact  waiver process  unknown to me.  

Obviously you have to already have the waiver from your own Doctor.  The onboard medical doesn't know your history.   I guess there will be many who will try to get a waiver as they don't want a long flight.  We are used to long flights.  We either fly long distances or see nothing or go nowhere. . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stratheden said:

Obviously you have to already have the waiver from your own Doctor.  The onboard medical doesn't know your history.   I guess there will be many who will try to get a waiver as they don't want a long flight.  We are used to long flights.  We either fly long distances or see nothing or go nowhere. . 

I heard that 300 people (sounds very high) tried to get to medical claiming claustrophobia.  That must have been what prompted the Captain to come on the announcing system and say - Don't go to medical they can't give waivers.  

We booked flights to San Diego on Delta.   We leave at 10:55 the day we arrive (22 March) and fly to Sydney.  After 4 hour layover we board a 14 hour flight to LAX.  Then a short flight to San Diego.  

Should be back home on 23 March 2020

I put down my deposit for 2022 World Cruise.

I think HAL has done a marvelous job and has offered a generous compensation package under the circumstances.    Not all agree with my assessment, but we are happy campers considering the totally unprecedented circumstances.   

I prefer to book my own air where I can choose routing and make my own seat selections.  

A few people I was talking to today have never booked an airline flight themselves - ever.   For those folks, that's what travel agents are for.   

Looking forward to the St Patty's day pub crawl tonight!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We booked flights to San Diego on Delta.   We leave at 10:55 the day we arrive (22 March) and fly to Sydney.  After 4 hour layover we board a 14 hour flight to LAX.  Then a short flight to San Diego.  

I think HAL has done a marvelous job and has offered a generous compensation package under the circumstances.    Not all agree with my assessment, but we are happy campers considering the totally unprecedented circumstances.   

I prefer to book my own air where I can choose routing and make my own seat selections.  

A few people I was talking to today have never booked an airline flight themselves - ever.   For those folks, that's what travel agents are for.   

See y'all on the plane all the way to LAX.  My friend who was on the overland reported that as of this morning customs and immigration fast and easy with no health checks.

Pete and Judy.  We met on the 2016 world cruise (I was on only as far as Sydney) and shared the Jeep/van on the Nuku Hiva tour.  You guys got stuck in the back and I kept offering to switch but you wouldn’t do it.  Sorry this cruise is ending way too soon.  I have been following your travels on your blog.  
I was booked on the Maasdam March 15 Papeete to San Diego.  HAL sent me an offer yesterday via VTG, either a 100% refund or 125% future cruise credit.  I’m so confused!

And I wonder if they might up the FCC if too many refund requests come in?  Doug Martin

We received a letter that now says flight waivers for medical reasons are not possible under any circumstances.  

Keep safe & well folks.... here is a thought. I wonder if HAL have considered chartering a Qantas or Virgin flight direct from Perth to LAX or SFO with just a fuel stop in Sydney.
With the airlines stopping their services from the end of March they could easily fill a new Dreamliner 9 that has the range. It would mean a 4.5 hr flight to Sydney or Melbourne then straight to The USA.
Best wishes for a safe flight home
Bellairvideo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 3/18/2020 at 9:40 PM, Bellair said:

Keep safe & well folks.... here is a thought. I wonder if HAL have considered chartering a Qantas or Virgin flight direct from Perth to LAX or SFO with just a fuel stop in Sydney.
With the airlines stopping their services from the end of March they could easily fill a new Dreamliner 9 that has the range. It would mean a 4.5 hr flight to Sydney or Melbourne then straight to The USA.
Best wishes for a safe flight home
Bellairvideo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HAL considered it, but they probably decided it was better to let everyone go back commercial on their own.   There are things that HAL could have done differently in retrospect, but I can't find much fault with the way this is playing out considering the hand that they were dealt.   All the crewmembers on the ship , especially guest services, has been remarkably poised and gracious despite having to work with limited information themselves.

• Like 4

On 3/17/2020 at 8:26 PM, mame42 said:

See y'all on the plane all the way to LAX.  My friend who was on the overland reported that as of this morning customs and immigration fast and easy with no health checks.

On 3/17/2020 at 6:50 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Wishing you a safe journey home. 

Thanks for sharing your WC experiences on your enjoyable blog.  Nice to have another WC to look forward to in 22.

Edited by MMDown Under