Thoughts About Suites

PBTravelBug

Posters are confirming that there is little association between the car you drive and the cabin you select.  We buy cars based on safety and reliability.  Have been "stuck" on BMWs since our first one, previously loved '82 318, purchased fduring an assignment in eastern Europe.  Have gone through at least 10 BMWs over the years - all great cars.  Have also owned a Lexus LX (spouse wanted something bigger than a deer) - horrible mileage - and now she drives an X5.  Several 8-series, numerous 5's (one picked up at the factory in Munich), two 3-series convertibles and a previously loved 550i.  Safety and security and comfort.  VWs before that and once "upgraded" to a Mercedes 240D - neat and safe car but a real slug.  Have not owned American iron since 1976.

Cruise using similar criteria.  Wife's favorite cabin is a Princess Royal-class mini-suite, which is essentially an elongated balcony cabin.  Once we were upgraded from a Solstice-class rear Sky Suite to the Royal suite.  So large it was uncomfortable.  Upcoming cruises in a Sky Suite (Reflection), Suite in Princess Enchantment (Med and TA), a Sky Suite on Connie in 2021, and a two-week river cruise in France with Uniworld.  

Decisions are made based on itinerary and $$$.  As we "mature" it seems easier financially to go the Suite/BMW route.  Retirement (30 years in uniform and wife 42 years of working for numerous federal agencies) means less daily costs so we pick what we believe will be comfortable and safe and fun.  Have travel to all 7 continents (set foot on Antarctica a dozen times), Galapagos and Africa safaris, lived in eastern Europe during the "Iron Curtain" days, India and Pakistan, Asia, etc.  What Americans think of as "luxury" are considered everyday cars in other cultures.  

The most important thing to remember is that people from all over the world have essentially the same desires and concerns.  

• Like 1

I have had 1 320, a couple of 525's, 10 X5, 2 X6 and currently a 6 series GT which is a joy to drive after so many SUVs.

Just about to embark on the 30th cruise and the 21st and 22nd Celebrity ones of the non Celebrity cruises 4 were in suites and 14 + the next 2 on Celebrity have been in suites (1 PH, 3 RS, 6 CS and 6 Sky) and we have another 4 Celebrities booked all in suites plus an Azamara.

We like the extra space and the celebrity suite product although MSC yacht club gives them a very, very good run for the money. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Globehoppers said:

Posters are confirming that there is little association between the car you drive and the cabin you select.  We buy cars based on safety and reliability.  Have been "stuck" on BMWs since our first one, previously loved '82 318, purchased fduring an assignment in eastern Europe.  Have gone through at least 10 BMWs over the years - all great cars.  Have also owned a Lexus LX (spouse wanted something bigger than a deer) - horrible mileage - and now she drives an X5.  Several 8-series, numerous 5's (one picked up at the factory in Munich), two 3-series convertibles and a previously loved 550i.  Safety and security and comfort.  VWs before that and once "upgraded" to a Mercedes 240D - neat and safe car but a real slug.  Have not owned American iron since 1976.

Ze Germans do build beautiful cars. Those noises you just heard were both my grandfathers turning in their graves....

I've had six in total too. I've also have a couple of Mercedes but felt BMW were the best brand for me. Until recently I drove a F30 335d which has to have the best power / performance / fuel economy combination there is. I now have an M4 as I figured they'll come a day when I'll want a more sedate and sensible saloon like a 7 series. 

I can draw comparisons with cruise lines based on that too. I'm interested in sailing Regent and Silver Sea but I don't expect I'd enjoy it as much as I would do in 15 or 20 years. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 6:46 PM, opa&oma said:

We have done Sky Suites many times but have come to decide they're not really worth the extra cost.  In our opinion, the only thing they have going for them is Luminae and the extra space.  You could eat in Murano every night with the savings from a veranda, and I love the cozy feeling in the smaller room.

No Murano on Summit and Infinity and I guess on the other M class ships

2 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

Ze Germans do build beautiful cars. Those noises you just heard were both my grandfathers turning in their graves....

I've had six in total too. I've also have a couple of Mercedes but felt BMW were the best brand for me. Until recently I drove a F30 335d which has to have the best power / performance / fuel economy combination there is. I now have an M4 as I figured they'll come a day when I'll want a more sedate and sensible saloon like a 7 series. 

I can draw comparisons with cruise lines based on that too. I'm interested in sailing Regent and Silver Sea but I don't expect I'd enjoy it as much as I would do in 15 or 20 years. 

Maybe BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Porsche too should start building luxury cruise ships.  It seems like some here would love it!  But no more fanciful names like Symphony of the Seas.  Just ship names with numbers like das 750i boot or ES300 Schiff.  Kind of takes the glamour out of it for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Porsche too should start building luxury cruise ships.  It seems like some here would love it!  But no more fanciful names like Symphony of the Seas.  Just ship names with numbers like das 750i boot or ES300 Schiff.  Kind of takes the glamour out of it for me.

Interesting idea. Porsche would probably build five generations of cruise ships over a sixty year period, all of which would look pretty much identical. They'd be much quicker than Cunard's Queen Mary crossing the Atlantic though. 

Most cruise lines would avoid ships built by Mercedes Benz and BMW as management would likely find the options lists too complicated, confusing and expensive. I mean go online and spec up a new 5 series then imagine doing that with a ship.... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

Interesting idea. Porsche would probably build five generations of cruise ships over a sixty year period, all of which would look pretty much identical. They'd be much quicker than Cunard's Queen Mary crossing the Atlantic though. 

Most cruise lines would avoid ships built by Mercedes Benz and BMW as management would likely find the options lists too complicated, confusing and expensive. I mean go online and spec up a new 5 series then imagine doing that with a ship.... 

Hah! Hah!  Good point!  Do you think that if BMW built a cruise ship that the Navigational System would be an expensive option?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Hah! Hah!  Good point!  Do you think that if BMW built a cruise ship that the Navigational System would be an expensive option?

The Professional Media version would be. But it would be brilliant. If management paid for the optional 'tech pack' Captain Kate would be able to use the keyfob to control the azipods to dock the ship whilst sipping on a latte in Cafe El Bachio!

• Like 1

Once we started doing suites, we found it hard to go back.  The one thing I don’t like is the location of the Sky Suites on the S Class Ships (with the exception of Reflection). They are either under the cafeteria or the aft.

Our butlers have been magicians in knowing what we want before we know it.  The really suite experience starts with the Celebrity Suite, especially with the separate bedroom and the shore concierge.  
FYI.  When we did the Royal Suite and Celebrity Suite, I drove a 10+ year old Ford.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

Germans make good cars  but nothing has the sound of a Ferrari.   It has its own unique sound  just like you can always recognize a Harley by its sound you always know that a Ferrari is coming.   Turn your volume up when you watch the video

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We like the extra space and the celebrity suite product although MSC yacht club gives them a very, very good run for the money. 

Yacht Club does indeed, although they need to step it up in the dining room and their itineraries out of Miami are boring.  Then there's Miami, hate sailing out of there.

Since I started this thread I thought I would weigh in.

Thank you to everyone for the wonderful advice, thoughts, and insight about the Celebrity suite life ( and cars)!

I think we will keep an eye out for a reasonable deal for a suite and give it a try one of these days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PBTravelBug said:

Since I started this thread I thought I would weigh in.

Thank you to everyone for the wonderful advice, thoughts, and insight about the Celebrity suite life ( and cars)!

I think we will keep an eye out for a reasonable deal for a suite and give it a try one of these days!

Good strategy.

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yacht Club does indeed, although they need to step it up in the dining room and their itineraries out of Miami are boring.  Then there's Miami, hate sailing out of there.

The one thing putting me off booking with them again is the 7 night cruises. I do not want to just spend 7 nights on a cruise and the fact that they continually repeat the same itinerary from week to week makes a b2b unappealing to us.

Our cruise was in the Med and we found that the food was at least on par with most of Luminae. My ultra fussy eater wife ate of the menu for the whole 9 days of the cruise and only once resorted to the always available part.

I have been cruising since 70’s at least once a year. Started in inside cabins back then there were no balconies. Our first suite was on celebrity and was a free upgrade, now we are addicted to suites , love the extra room. Have done suites on rccl many times, a few on Hal and recently msc yacht club. Celebrity luminae is by far best suite restaurant for both service and food , we do splurge on vacations. Looking forward to our first royal suite in a few weeks . Also love suite lounge micheals have not been on ship with retreat yet. 

• Like 2

This thread drifted off topic, but has really been a fun read !!

I drive a Tesla X, Acura MDX, Acura TL and NSX. 
Always book the Penthouse. Usually for 4 to 6 weeks at a time. 

We enjoy Celebrity and still sail with them often, but have booked less Celebrity cruiseA with the ever increasing Penthouse prices. Other cruise lines and all-inclusive resorts are now receiving a larger portion of our travel dollars.

We aren’t traveling less often, just seem to be shifting away from Celebrity more often as the Penthouse prices increase. 

— Don 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Go back to post #22 to see where the car discussion started.  Everybody is just having some fun responding to that post.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation. I kept clicking on the thread looking for suite info as the thread was updated as it is my first stay in one and kept reading of cars!

12 hours ago, George C said:

I have been cruising since 70’s at least once a year. Started in inside cabins back then there were no balconies. Our first suite was on celebrity and was a free upgrade, now we are addicted to suites , love the extra room. Have done suites on rccl many times, a few on Hal and recently msc yacht club. Celebrity luminae is by far best suite restaurant for both service and food , we do splurge on vacations. Looking forward to our first royal suite in a few weeks . Also love suite lounge micheals have not been on ship with retreat yet. 

You'll love the royal suite.  And I agree, Luminae is the best suite restaurant for food and service.

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

You'll love the royal suite.  And I agree, Luminae is the best suite restaurant for food and service.

Thanks, it was a pleasure meeting you and your friends on our recent seaside YC seaside cruise. Hopefully we will meet again on a future cruise. 

• Like 1