Thoughts About Suites

PBTravelBug

We were in a Sky suite on Summit last May and while we enjoyed it, we are booked in AQ for our next cruise on Solstice and I don't think we will feel let down by the "downgrade." Luminae was lovely but we enjoyed Blu on a previous cruise in AQ, and the money we'll save will more than pay for a few dinners in Murano, too. I disliked the actual room on Summit (poorly laid out, terrible furniture, cramped bathroom with ridiculously high-sided tub, etc.), and the butler was wasted on us. The Retreat and Retreat Lounge were great, but on S-Class we really enjoy World Class Bar so I don't think we'll miss them TOOOOOOOOO much. 

Anyway, as others have said, the only way to know for sure is to try it for yourselves! We would choose a suite again at the right price but lately S2s have been starting about twice the price of AQ, which I think is ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Does anyone happen to know what the OBC is these days for booking a sky suite while onboard?

@goofysmom99, please note the correction:

$350 for 14-15 nights

$250 for 6-9 nights

2D3B5D48-AED7-4D3D-A722-4F9770C9BB39.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2020 at 3:30 PM, PBTravelBug said:

The only cabin type we have not tried on our Celebrity cruises is a suite. Have seriously considered quotes but, for one reason or another, never made the final purchase. Still have a good 10 years to go before we would consider retiring. In the meantime we feel very lucky to have control of our time so we can go on 2-3 cruises per year. Our favorite child (ie only child) is successfully launched and off the family "payroll" as of this past September (YEA!). We have cruised for years and have determined that it is our preferred way to travel and Celebrity is the line that does it for us. We are part of the Captain's Club at the Elite level. Starting to think - we should give the suite life a chance!

Would love to get thoughts & opinions about cruising in the Celebrity suites? Does it make for a significantly better experience? Do you always go with a suite or does it depend? How is the dining in Luminae? What is Michael's club all about? These forums are so helpful and I have learned a lot -  anything constructive anyone cares to share would be great!

For our cabin choice we typically look at the itinerary and the various costs. We try to find the nicest cabin (ie location & type) for the best deal. We like inside cabins especially on a port intensive itinerary. We were on the Coastal California cruise in November with a huge inside cabin in a great location. We spent so much time off the ship and in port that the inside cabin worked. Have done Aqua and liked it for Blu but did not care for the cabin locations. Concierge many times and like the cabin locations along with the first day sit down lunch. I would have a well located inside cabin over a ocean-view cabin.

We are balcony people and only cruised once in AQ due to an upgrade and once in a Skysuite (on Millie) also on an upgrade.  

The suite was almost double the size of our typical balcony cabin and bathroom was great with double sink and separate shower and tub.  Also, had a large balcony.  Loved dining in Luminae.   We didn't use out butler much at all, but he was there every afternoon at 4pm with cookies and tea/coffee.

One thing that we missed was dining with our new cruise friends (we met on the Roll Call on cc, as well as at the meet and greet).  None were in suites, so we never dined with them.  We decided that we will not book a suite, in fact, even for a modest upgrade, we will decline.   We have a group of cruise friends now were some usually book the same cruise.  That is more important than a suite.  Also, booking a suite is usually at least double the cost of a balcony, that is a non-starter for us.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I drive a Toyota and I sail suites.  Maybe I should put that on a tee shirt.

Love it! Mine would say: I drive a Suburu, and I book suites. Of course, keeping our cars for at least 10 years helps fund the occasional suite😉

Edited by Silkroad

We keep our cars until they fall apart and still go with a balcony.  We don't fly business or first class.  We don't like paying 3 or 4 times for the same service or cruise.

Examples

about $1600 for two with no perks for a balcony

about $5000 for two with four perks for a skysuite

7 night Mexico, Jamaica and Grand Cayman on the Reflection, Nov 2021

Sure the four perks are worth something, but  clearly this typically shows what going with even the smallest suite will cost.

Particularly for us, that are moderate drinkers and Elite Happy Hour drinkers, perks are not as big a deal.

22 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We keep our cars until they fall apart and still go with a balcony.  We don't fly business or first class.  We don't like paying 3 or 4 times for the same service or cruise.

Examples

about $1600 for two with no perks for a balcony

about $5000 for two with four perks for a skysuite

7 night Mexico, Jamaica and Grand Cayman on the Reflection, Nov 2021

Sure the four perks are worth something, but  clearly this typically shows what going with even the smallest suite will cost.

Particularly for us, that are moderate drinkers and Elite Happy Hour drinkers, perks are not as big a deal.

Totally agree.

We have pre-determined limits on all categories of cabins.  Won't spend insane amounts for AQ or suites.

Presently we are capped at $300+-350 per day (total for 2) for AQ

$400-450 (again, total for 2) for suite.

Plus, since lots of both AQ and Sky suites are in some really lousy locations, we are picky for real estate.

1 hour ago, Globehoppers said:

You would upset the Lexus people.  And that could be a good thing since they would not talk to you!

Have enjoyed all of the comments on this thread. It is always interesting to find out the thoughts & strategies of other cruisers. 

For the record - I drive a Lexus but I think I am a Honda person at heart so it is ok to talk to me - LOL! My favorite car of all time was my Honda Pilot - and I have had some German luxury vehicles in my past. Drove my Honda for 10+ years and put 216,000 miles on it. The Lexus... Honda changed the body style of the Pilot so I looked at other options an found an awesome deal on a very low mileage certified pre-owned.

Thanks for all of the great comments! 

My favorite car was a Honda Element (silver - looked like a toaster).  Only vehicle I've owned where people regularly approached me at gas stations and wanted to know if I'd sell it.  Great beach vehicle.

I'm in the final stretch to next Captain's Club level so each and every point matters to me right now (and how much each point is actually costing me).  I just did some math on two of the cruises I currently have booked.  I travel solo (200% fare) so price/night is what a couple would pay with with exception of port charges:

Transpacific, Eclipse, 15-nt, Tokyo - Vancouver, Apr 2021

C2   $201/nt    $20/pt

S2   $494/nt    $31/pt

CS   $628/nt   $26/pt

Constellation, 9-nt, Venice - Rome, Oct 2021

O6    $387/nt   $97/pt

2C    $461/nt   $77/pt  (min balcony)

C2    $556/nt   $56/pt

S2    $973/nt   $61/pt

Holy cow, those Connie prices are breathtaking!  I intend to take it since it's the port intensive 1st leg of a B2B but will change from an OV to a 2C for the TA.  I know the prices will come down between now and then, but really, X's current 2021 European pricing is eye-watering.

(BTW, I decided to book the CS on the TP to get to the goal line with the least air travel.)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Holy cow, those Connie prices are breathtaking!  I intend to take it since it's the port intensive 1st leg of a B2B but will change from an OV to a 2C for the TA.  I know the prices will come down between now and then, but really, X's current 2021 European pricing is eye-watering.

(BTW, I decided to book the CS on the TP to get to the goal line with the least air travel.)

I also travel solo and I agree that current prices are breathtaking!  I'm so glad I did all the big, interesting European cruises when prices were reasonable!  Am getting Iceland/Greenland done this year, for a pretty breathtaking price, but cheap compared to what they're currently asking for cabins.  I have nothing booked after this year.  Think I will be looking for last-minute bargains after final payment.

42 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I also travel solo and I agree that current prices are breathtaking!  I'm so glad I did all the big, interesting European cruises when prices were reasonable!  Am getting Iceland/Greenland done this year, for a pretty breathtaking price, but cheap compared to what they're currently asking for cabins.  I have nothing booked after this year.  Think I will be looking for last-minute bargains after final payment.

Happy Cruiser, could you shoot me an email at goofysmom99@yahoo.com?  I have a couple of solo travel questions you probably know the answers to.  Thanks.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:00 PM, TommyD3 said:

I have sailed over 150 times on Celebrity. Been in all cabin types from Inside to Celebrity suite.

If you only sail once or twice a year and are the type of person that drives an expensive German car, then a suite is for you.

What if you drive a Lexus? 🙂

Edited by NMTraveller

Usually sail in AQ or even a regular veranda depending on the price.   We have sailed in SS and will only do so when the price is within reason.  EG a 5 day cruise we have booked on the Infinity in a SS for $1549 total that includes all the perks and $650 SBC.

The SS are nice but the extra cost for us doesn’t justify it.

And we found out that you can easily sail in a lower category after being in a suite.  Don’t believe that BS that you can’t.  We have and still do.  

We have a AQ booked on the Apex with 3 perks.  A suite would be a little over $100/day pp. with all 4 perks.   We can’t justify over $200/day pp for the suite.  And even in the AQ we are seriously thinking of moving down to a  standard IV cabin saving about $ 700 for a 7 day cruise.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We are balcony people and only cruised once in AQ due to an upgrade and once in a Skysuite (on Millie) also on an upgrade.  

The suite was almost double the size of our typical balcony cabin and bathroom was great with double sink and separate shower and tub.  Also, had a large balcony.  Loved dining in Luminae.   We didn't use out butler much at all, but he was there every afternoon at 4pm with cookies and tea/coffee.

One thing that we missed was dining with our new cruise friends (we met on the Roll Call on cc, as well as at the meet and greet).  None were in suites, so we never dined with them.  We decided that we will not book a suite, in fact, even for a modest upgrade, we will decline.   We have a group of cruise friends now were some usually book the same cruise.  That is more important than a suite.  Also, booking a suite is usually at least double the cost of a balcony, that is a non-starter for us.

I believe you can invite friends to a meal in Luminea. It never hurts to ask any question in Suites as they really try to accommodate.

45 minutes ago, miched said:

Usually sail in AQ or even a regular veranda depending on the price.   We have sailed in SS and will only do so when the price is within reason.  EG a 5 day cruise we have booked on the Infinity in a SS for $1549 total that includes all the perks and $650 SBC.

The SS are nice but the extra cost for us doesn’t justify it.

And we found out that you can easily sail in a lower category after being in a suite.  Don’t believe that BS that you can’t.  We have and still do.  

We have a AQ booked on the Apex with 3 perks.  A suite would be a little over $100/day pp. with all 4 perks.   We can’t justify over $200/day pp for the suite.  And even in the AQ we are seriously thinking of moving down to a  standard IV cabin saving about $ 700 for a 7 day cruise.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Your abbreviations drive me nuts.

35 minutes ago, sonnycruises said:

I believe you can invite friends to a meal in Luminea. It never hurts to ask any question in Suites as they really try to accommodate.

Space permitting you can - 10.00 pp for breakfast, 20.00 pp for lunch, and 30.00 pp for dinner.  (pp=per person)

The pricing for our cruise is all over the place. I managed to get a Sky Suite for cheaper than a Sunset Balcony when there was just this weird price drop for about a week. Then the suite prices rose significantly. Looking at the website today the cost of an Aqua over the Sky price I’m booked with is only around $45 USD a day less and being on the a Edge I’m happy to pay that extra for the Sky and having access to the retreat. 

Edited by Pushka

10 hours ago, sonnycruises said:

Yes, I know that you can invite friends to dine at Luminea, for $50 per person.  No takers on that.

17 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

My favorite car was a Honda Element (silver - looked like a toaster).  Only vehicle I've owned where people regularly approached me at gas stations and wanted to know if I'd sell it.  Great beach vehicle.

I'm in the final stretch to next Captain's Club level so each and every point matters to me right now (and how much each point is actually costing me).  I just did some math on two of the cruises I currently have booked.  I travel solo (200% fare) so price/night is what a couple would pay with with exception of port charges:

Transpacific, Eclipse, 15-nt, Tokyo - Vancouver, Apr 2021

C2   $201/nt    $20/pt

S2   $494/nt    $31/pt

CS   $628/nt   $26/pt

Constellation, 9-nt, Venice - Rome, Oct 2021

O6    $387/nt   $97/pt

2C    $461/nt   $77/pt  (min balcony)

C2    $556/nt   $56/pt

S2    $973/nt   $61/pt

We are booked on Connie for the October 2021 transatlantic to Tampa.  $1806 pp for 15 day cruise.

3 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Yes, I know that you can invite friends to dine at Luminea, for $50 per person.  No takers on that.

It was $50 in the beginning but has been $30 for the last few years.  I paid $30 in Feb on Equinox and $30 in Nov on Summit.