Dumb Question

detroit70

Since the Caribbean is perpetual summer temps, the locals wear all manner of colors, including white.  I think the national dress for most of the islands are white t-shirts and shorts of many colors.  My suggestion is to pack whatever you would wear during the summer where you live and be prepared for much higher humidity.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

We live in FL and wear white all year long, same when traveling in the Caribbean. There are no dumb questions - am a retired librarian and used to say that whenever anyone asked me a question and said it was dumb. Your questions are important to you so not dumb.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, detroit70 said:

This feels silly to ask, but do people wear white (shorts, slacks, shoes) in the Caribbean in January?  (I'm starting to pack for this week's trip...)

Thanks!

Absolutely!  White clothing and shoes are year-round.  

3 hours ago, detroit70 said:

This feels silly to ask, but do people wear white (shorts, slacks, shoes) in the Caribbean in January?  (I'm starting to pack for this week's trip...)

Thanks!

By your CC name I assume your from the Detroit area as I am....made me smile when I saw your question because we have all had drilled into us to pack away the white after Labor Day..LOL….Bring those whites out and wear them along with all your summer colors, I'll be packing my whites in Feb. :):)

• Like 3

Even though a lot of young people might disagree, the LAST color you should wear in the Caribbean is black.   It might not be current fashion, but wearing black will take a real toll on you if you are out in the mid-day sun.   So, yes, white is great, but so is any other light color

2 hours ago, ZSandy25 said:

By your CC name I assume your from the Detroit area as I am....made me smile when I saw your question because we have all had drilled into us to pack away the white after Labor Day..LOL….Bring those whites out and wear them along with all your summer colors, I'll be packing my whites in Feb. :):)

Ah, the northern fashion rules. My mom has been gone almost 20 years and I STILL can't wear white shoes after labor day (except for trips to the Caribbean).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZSandy25 said:

Lol, wear white here today and you can be camo’d. (But seriously, I’m actually glad to finally see it snow here. This is the first year in a while I haven’t needed a break from the cold, since it hasn’t been cold.)

8 hours ago, detroit70 said:

Thanks!

The only dumb question is the question not asked! 😎

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The only dumb question is the question not asked! 😎

I will beg to differ.  I’ve heard this all my life, but as a retired nurse, I will tell you that there ARE many dumb questions.  Here’s my favorite:

Post-op diabetic patient:  “I haven’t had anything to eat since last night (due to anesthesia.). Can I have a doughnut now?”

On 1/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, kevingastreich said:

White calf length athletic socks always look nice with shorts.

I agree with this opinion.

WITH CASUAL SHORTS

On a beautiful sunny day, it always feels like a good idea to put shorts on and head for a meander around town. However, given that sandals are often not the comfiest of footwear, many people instead opt for sneakers or something similar. 

If you then match those sneakers with white socks, you are committing a mortal sin. Wearing bright white socks along with shorts is a big fashion no-no, and all eyes will be on your ensemble.