Veteran's Discount???

SRQMom

Per my travel agent, Celebrity offers a Veterans/Military discount and booked my cruise with late "savings" listed. In reality it was the same price as the "4 Perks" promotion but for some reason AAA shows the discount on their "bill" as being a Military discount.  My concern and question is that per the Celebrity website, you have to be either active or retired military.  I served during the Vietnam War but did not retire with the military.  I was told by AAA that all I need to do is bring my DD214 (and I do have a VA benefits card since I am receiving health care at the VA hospital).  But, I'm worried that when I check in, they won't accept it and as per their website, the fare will be rejected.  I've got a call out to my AAA agent and was on hold with Celebrity, so figured I'd post the question here in case anyone has experience (served in war time but not retired Veteran).  Thanks!

My DH is a retired reservist and we always book the Veterans’ rate and have never been asked to show his ID.  I understand your angst because you are not “retired.”  Hopefully Your TA will contact Celebrity and get you the correct info.  Thank you for your service.

Edited by cruiser61262
Auto correct
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, SRQMom said:

My concern and question is that per the Celebrity website, you have to be either active or retired military.  I served during the Vietnam War but did not retire with the military.

First welcome home brother. I also didn't retire from the military but always get the veterans discount. I always take a copy of my DD 214. CYA. I've never been asked to provide it when booking a cruise or at the embarkation terminal. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

First welcome home brother. I also didn't retire from the military but always get the veterans discount. I always take a copy of my DD 214. CYA. I've never been asked to provide it when booking a cruise or at the embarkation terminal. 

Same for me. I have never been asked.

Welcome home!  My DH is also a Vietnam veteran. Your VA card (if it says service connected) is all you’ll need.  DH has a copy of his DD214 on his phone as well. Only time ever been asked for proof was this past September in Vancouver. Pulled out retired ID, VA card & phone. They just looked at VA card. 

I have never asked for the Veterans discount on anything because my own service was so short. 7 Army reserve meetings, two weeks of summer camp before my badly damaged knee finally blew out and I was medicaled out without ever having a single day of active duty. I had a fancy MOS so the normal sign up and ship out deal did not work for me. It was sign up, go to meetings and wait for an AIT space to open up before you shipped out for basic. My basic orders arrived a week after my discharge process started.  At one point last year I did ask for a copy of my DD215 and got copies of my enlistment contract, discharge orders and DD256, Honorable discharge.   Out of respect to those of you who have served I have never asked for the discount but some days I wonder if I can....

1 hour ago, Beachin2 said:

Been asked once - Vancouver - showed my VA card.  No problem at all. 

Enough info on the DD214 to snatch your identity, no way am I giving it to anyone, especially a shore-side non-employee agent.

If using a DD 214 burn a copy of it and blackout your SSN. I have a VA card (DAV) and DD 214. Not all Vets are lifers with a retirement ID card or don't have a disability for a DAV card. Some vets only have a DD 214.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

I have never asked for the Veterans discount on anything because my own service was so short. 7 Army reserve meetings, two weeks of summer camp before my badly damaged knee finally blew out and I was medicaled out without ever having a single day of active duty. I had a fancy MOS so the normal sign up and ship out deal did not work for me. It was sign up, go to meetings and wait for an AIT space to open up before you shipped out for basic. My basic orders arrived a week after my discharge process started.  At one point last year I did ask for a copy of my DD215 and got copies of my enlistment contract, discharge orders and DD256, Honorable discharge.   Out of respect to those of you who have served I have never asked for the discount but some days I wonder if I can....

The discount is for all active, retired and veterans of the United States and Canada Military. If your discharge is honorable you qualify. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

A couple of years ago, when I was booking a cruise in Future Cruises, the young lady making my booking insisted I had to show ID for the military discount.  I schlepped back to my cabin and got my retired ID card.  I was particularly steamed because the couple in front of me didn't have to show anything, nor did my friends who were right behind me.  I wrote a love letter about it to Miami.  I haven't had to show it since. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

The discount is for all active, retired and veterans of the United States and Canada Military. If your discharge is honorable you qualify. 

Thanks for the info.  My discharge is honorable even though I never saw a day of active duty.  Once they realized I was not kidding about the knee--two open surgeries and a complete fracture of the femur just above the knee while I was in college--they wanted me out fast. Had I gone to basic, been active, I would have been mustered out on a medical with disability.  By keeping me from ever been active it saved the Army a lot of money.  Vietnam was a crazy time. I even got a notice from my draft board to report for active duty because I had missed too many meetings.....This was 4 months after I had my DD256 in hand.  This was the same draft boad that wanted me to report for a physical while I was in the hospital with my leg broken in tow because I had not registered for classes for the spring.  As I said earlier, I have shied away from asking for these benefits because my time in was so short and I firmly believe that should be left for you all who did really serve.  

They used to spell out the rules for the Military discount.  Can't remember the exact wording, but you have to have served at least 2 years active duty or a certain number of months in a combat zone, or words to that effect to qualify.  You can get an honorable discharge for medical reasons, but if you haven't served the time, you don't qualify.  🍷

Celebrity is good but for Vet discount Princess is way better for ease of acceptance.  Once you provide your DD-214 every time you get a discount in form of on-board credit on every cruise. No paperwork or submissions as long as you sign in with Princess id. No 

OBC amount per qualified passenger**

6 nights or less

$50

7–13 nights

$100

14 nights or longer

$250

Edited by Medfield98
Update
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

They used to spell out the rules for the Military discount.  Can't remember the exact wording, but you have to have served at least 2 years active duty or a certain number of months in a combat zone, or words to that effect to qualify.  You can get an honorable discharge for medical reasons, but if you haven't served the time, you don't qualify.  🍷

I also remember that disclaimer and looked for it on celebrity's website before I posted but couldn't find it published anymore. I guess they relaxed that qualification. 

58 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I also remember that disclaimer and looked for it on celebrity's website before I posted but couldn't find it published anymore. I guess they relaxed that qualification. 

Yeah, I looked for it also and couldn't find it.  They used top have a "?" next to the military discount box.  When you clicked on it, there was a drop down menu which spelled out the qualifications.  I think you are right that they have relaxed the qualification.  🍷

Be careful about ANY of the special discounts. All of them carry significant restrictions that may actually result in paying more than some of the public discount offerings with perks. Best to do a nickles to nickles comparison before making a reservation.

My step-son was looking at the Florida resident discount and it didn't work. So he looked at the Law Enforcement discount and it didn't work. He ended up saving more from a public discount offering. Many of these special discounts are just 'feel good' attempts to make folks feel good....

Thanks for the info.  My travel agent was on hold with Celebrity for over half an hour and came back on the phone with me and said there is some discrepancy in the policy and he'll get confirmation tomorrow.  If the "served in a war zone, during certain years, etc." still holds, I qualify, but if it's changed and they now only extend the savings to active or retired, then AAA will need to resubmit my booking under the original "perk 4" deal.  (I have no idea why the travel agent even booked it with that discount code because the price was the same as the standard perk 4 deal).  If I get word that Celebrity has indeed restricted that discount to only apply to currently active or retired, I'll post that info.  Thanks!

12 hours ago, SRQMom said:

Thanks for the info.  My travel agent was on hold with Celebrity for over half an hour and came back on the phone with me and said there is some discrepancy in the policy and he'll get confirmation tomorrow.  If the "served in a war zone, during certain years, etc." still holds, I qualify, but if it's changed and they now only extend the savings to active or retired, then AAA will need to resubmit my booking under the original "perk 4" deal.  (I have no idea why the travel agent even booked it with that discount code because the price was the same as the standard perk 4 deal).  If I get word that Celebrity has indeed restricted that discount to only apply to currently active or retired, I'll post that info.  Thanks!

From Celebrity's website (active, retired or veteran)...https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-deals/military-cruise-deal

On 29 December 2019 I booked a future cruise (over the phone) with 3 perks and received the $100.00 veteran discount. 

Edited by davekathy

Here's the official word as of today from Celebrity.  ALL Veterans, with a DD214 showing honorable discharge, are eligible for the Military/Veterans discount (different promotions, etc.).  That is the only required documentation needed (unless of course you re active duty, retired, etc. and have an ID).  The Celebrity rep said that a lot of times those discounts can be "combined" with other promotions (not all discounts can).  I mentioned this to my AAA rep and he's checking into repricing to allow for the current $100 discount (additional) mentioned on the Celebrity website.  Thanks DaveKathy!!  

We booked our first Celebrity cruise last summer for this coming Jan 31 cruise.  Hubby is a vet and we had no problems booking with the $100 discount and all the perks.  We are bringing a copy of his DD 214 as directed.

I wish they would do it like Princess does.  Have the info on file in our account so we don’t have to ever bring it with us again.  

1 hour ago, SRQMom said:

Here's the official word as of today from Celebrity.  ALL Veterans, with a DD214 showing honorable discharge, are eligible for the Military/Veterans discount (different promotions, etc.).  That is the only required documentation needed (unless of course you re active duty, retired, etc. and have an ID).  The Celebrity rep said that a lot of times those discounts can be "combined" with other promotions (not all discounts can).  I mentioned this to my AAA rep and he's checking into repricing to allow for the current $100 discount (additional) mentioned on the Celebrity website.  Thanks DaveKathy!!  

You're welcome. If you're interested check your Celebrity Today or the bulletin board by GS for the time and day for veterans get together. Usually it's held on a sea day in the sky lounge on M& S class ships. Hosted by the CD and the Captain. 

• Like 1

I have posted this before. The VA now issues ID cards for veterans with Honorables who are not eligible for retired military IS's or VA-health-benefit cards. The purpose is, among other things, to help vets prove eligibility for retailers' discounts without having to present your (likely disintegrating by now) DD 214.

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2