Children on dance floor

JMorris271

I have seen this happen on every cruise I have been on.  Now and then in a lounge, you will see a mother, father or someone else dancing with a small youngster in the early evening when the floor is not being used much. For a while this can be cute and even fun to watch. As the time goes on to around 10 or so, more people start  dancing or wanting to. Mom, dad and maybe a few others are still sitting in their seats enjoying their third  drink and in their trance, glowing at their kid dancing on the floor solo.  Adults that want to dance, must keep an eye on the toddler to keep from stepping on  or trip over and hurting  the child or hurting  themselves in a fall.  Shouldn't there be restrictions on how late a parent can allow their cutie to place themselves and others at risk this way?  I have seen one mishap and many near misses.

Edited by JMorris271

What kind of restrictions do you want? No kids under a certain age allowed onto any kind of dance floor? Only after a certain time? All kids under 18? Under 16? 12? 10? What if they're tall for their age? What if they're short for their age? What if they are dancing with someone else? Who is going to enforce the restrictions? Will they have to have security standing by every dance floor to ensure no minor trespasses on it? See - it's not that simple.

This is no different than little ones anywhere on a ship - the dining areas, the pool area, anywhere there are a lot of people. Kids can be easy to overlook. It's the parent's job to ensure their safety. If you see a problem  talk to them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

What kind of restrictions do you want? No kids under a certain age allowed onto any kind of dance floor? Only after a certain time? All kids under 18? Under 16? 12? 10? What if they're tall for their age? What if they're short for their age? What if they are dancing with someone else? Who is going to enforce the restrictions? Will they have to have security standing by every dance floor to ensure no minor trespasses on it? See - it's not that simple.

This is no different than little ones anywhere on a ship - the dining areas, the pool area, anywhere there are a lot of people. Kids can be easy to overlook. It's the parent's job to ensure their safety. If you see a problem  talk to them.

I think certain dances should be banned.  For example the boogaloo shouldn't be allowed.  And what about ballroom dancing.  That takes up way too much of the dance floor.   

• Like 2

Just the reaction I expected here.  

MY concern is for the child that could potentially be hurt possibly very badly.

If you don't care if someone trips over a TODDLER I feel bad for you!

You are always going to tick some people off when you talk about limiting others from getting hurt.

Edited by JMorris271
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, spookwife said:

Simple.  Just go to the one lounge designated adult only after 10 pm.   No kids.

I was speaking about after 10.

In most places in the world, kids are not permitted where liquor is sold.

Dining room, halls, and  such places,kids are expected to be there.But not on a dance floor at 10;30 at night

They are at risk on a CROWDED dance floor.

I just know, I wouldn't want one of my grandkids to end up with seizures because they banged there head on the floor because someone did a whirl over them.

30 minutes ago, spookwife said:

Simple.  Just go to the one lounge designated adult only after 10 pm.   No kids.

You miss the point. The kids don't bother me.  I enjoy kids.  I don't however want one to became injured.

9 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

You miss the point. The kids don't bother me.  I enjoy kids.  I don't however want one to became injured.

No, I don't believe that was your point. I read your post and I didn't "perceive" that to be your point.

If it was your point, you failed miserably communicating your point.

And don't blame the reader for not understanding your point. You're the one who initiated the communication.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

Dining room, halls, and  such places,kids are expected to be there.But not on a dance floor at 10;30 at night

I just know, I wouldn't want one of my grandkids to end up with seizures because they banged there head on the floor because someone did a whirl over them.

That is the finest example if catastrophizing I've seen in ages.

I don't know how much you've travelled outside your own borders, but there are many, many places where children are allowed where liquor is sold. Some cruise ships and resorts particularly cater to families. And you'll find liquor freely available. Heck, even WDW allows kids into their  lounges. If you don't want your grandkids to dance, then you can keep them off the dance floor. That's your right. It is the parents ( or guardian) job to mind their children. We don't need more ridiculous rules and regulations as a substitute. But if I want to dance with my DGS during a silent disco, then I'll do it, while keeping a watchful eye out, as I always do. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

I understood what you said originally.  If the parents want to let the children on the dance floor, when there are a lot of adults dancing, then I wouldn't worry about them, just dance the way you would if they were not on the dance floor.  Sorry, but it is about the parents being accountable for the safety of their children.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Gee whiz, if there is a toddler on the floor, take care not to hurt them.  If someone can't do that they shouldn't be on the dance floor.  

Idubs I usually agree with you but not this one. It might not be an issue if there is an adult dancing with them to not trip over a child. However a young child dancing by themselves is different. I have found young children by their nature will suddenly dart across to check something out that attracts their attention. Saying that someone shouldn't be on a dance floor if they might accidentally trip over a child who darts out in front of them is a bit harsh.

Julie

Well I might be the only respondent on this thread  who acknowledges that the OP has a point.

Perhaps that's because we're recently back from a cruise where for a couple of evenings three siblings aged about 6 were running endlessly around the quite small dance floor and through the first row of tables.

Round and round.

Round and round.

Round and round.

Cute.

For a while.

When a few folk did get up and dance they lasted just one dance before sitting down again.

Mother did nothing to stop the kids.

Entertainments crew distracted the kids nicely, by dancing with them in a corner of the dance floor.

And then walking them back to mother's table - but not suggesting to mother that she take control of them for a while. 

So a few minutes later they're off again.

And altho a lot of folk quietly grumbled amongst themselves, nobody went over to speak to mother.

That includes us .

Understandably no-one, including entertainment crew, wanted the evening to be spoilt by a potential confrontation.

Some ignorant or thoughtless  parents are like that. :classic_rolleyes:

Restrictions on  kids?

Nope.

When its something that just winds folk up a bit one evening, it's a lot easier to let it slide.

Although I had numerous opportunities to surreptitiously trip them up.

And I was very tempted :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Mother did nothing to stop the kids.

Maybe the better idea would have been to accidentally trip and spill a drink on mother so she would have to go change and take her children with her?

I agree the constant running around would have been annoying. As someone who likes to dance I don't mind children on the dance floor if they are with an adult or dancing in one spot...but running around, No.

Julie

I get what the OP was talking about. I saw a toddler get injured when they tripped an older person who was taking group dance lessons. The child was running around while the lessons were going on. Fortunately, the instructor stopped the lesson and asked for the absent parent to get the child off the floor. I can't understand why people don't get the safety aspect of this problem.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I can't understand why people don't get the safety aspect of this problem.

But I don't think that's the issue. So does the ship ban all children? Children over or under a certain age? Or are parents given specific instructions upon arriving about expectations?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, clo said:

But I don't think that's the issue. So does the ship ban all children? Children over or under a certain age? Or are parents given specific instructions upon arriving about expectations?

I don't think there is an answer since the right to have your child on the dance floor is obviously more important than the right of adults to dance safely. This hasn't been a noticeable problem until recently. Adult dancing opportunities used to be a standard on cruises. Now, cruises are more family oriented. Adults who enjoy dancing are the losers here. Just like adults bringing children in adult pools, so they would also being them to a dance area that is exclusively for adults.

Edited by Markanddonna

3 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Saying that someone shouldn't be on a dance floor if they might accidentally trip over a child who darts out in front of them is a bit harsh.

Julie

Hmm, I reread and can only agree it is a bit harsh and really doesn't contribute much.  I guess I got a little too caught up in things.  Yikes!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Clo, I am not sure if you like to be deliberately provocative with your statements or you just think your opinion is always right. Please point out where Markanddonna suggested to ban all children from the cruise ship or any of us who suggested that children should be supervised when on a dance floor?

Markanddonna is correct regarding the safety aspect.  I think that part of the concern is the safety aspect not just for the child but the older person who trips over them. As an retired nurse who saw many older people admitted with a fractured hip over a simple fall. Some of those not that elderly but simply victims of osteoporosis.

Julie

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1