Children on dance floor

JMorris271

While I don't think a rule is needed, that doesn't mean that toddlers shouldn't be supervised while on a dance floor or anywhere else for that matter.  There will always be bad parenting, unfortunately.   Anyway,  I truly hope this really isn't a huge problem that needs regulating.   

• Like 1

Guidelines are usually  imposed when others won't carry out their responsibilities.  If parents aren't interested in controling their kids in what is a dangerous situation, guidelines need to be installed.

Nobody should have to suffer injury because a parent won't control their child no matter how cute they are.

So now, someone else can make their exaggerated comment and throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Kids on dance floors where actual ADULTS are dancing should be monitored by their parents, to be sure the kids aren't in the way.  Kid's shouldn't be out that late, if they are toddlers, anyway.

Why? They should be getting a good amount of sleep at night, but what’s the difference between 8 - 8 vs. 11 - 11? They’re not school aged, if they have a SAHP it really doesn’t matter the schedule (and as a SAHM, my toddlers from 1 - 4 and went to bed at 8, because that’s what worked for me).

16 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

I was speaking about after 10.

In most places in the world, kids are not permitted where liquor is sold.

Dining room, halls, and  such places,kids are expected to be there.But not on a dance floor at 10;30 at night

They are at risk on a CROWDED dance floor.

I just know, I wouldn't want one of my grandkids to end up with seizures because they banged there head on the floor because someone did a whirl over them.

in most places after ten the little darling aren't even going to be out dancing.  they will be in bed or in the kids club/nursery while the 'rents cut a rug.   

if you are so worried then YOU  don't dance when there are kids the floor and YOU keep any kids you are responsible for off the floor.  

2 minutes ago, spookwife said:

in most places after ten the little darling aren't even going to be out dancing.  they will be in bed or in the kids club/nursery while the 'rents cut a rug.   

if you are so worried then YOU  don't dance when there are kids the floor and YOU keep any kids you are responsible for off the floor.  

In recent years, the number of children on cruises has increased and so has their bedtimes. There are many families from other countries who travel with their children and some keep really late hours. I recently traveled with a group where an eleven year old joined us. She was mature, respectful and a lot of fun. I love seeing kids like her on cruises.

14 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I think it is adorable when a parent actually dances with their child. Letting kids loose to do their thing is a different and not safe issue.

I really don't understand why some just don't get what the OP is saying.  If I were dancing, I'm enjoying myself and shouldn't have to be looking down every minute to make sure I don't step on a child or trip over a child.  If the child wants to dance, then the parent should be dancing with them or make sure they are in a corner out of the way of the dances, to keep them and the dancers on the floor out of harm's way.

• Like 7

To those that think this is a ridiculous unnecessary post,  feel free to quit reading it.

My view is dance floor is just that. By definition it is a designated area for dancing. It's not a safe play yard for children to be standing.  Those that enjoy dancing usually use all kinds of quick moves  slow and tight or wide swings with fast steps that happen on impulse and they need to be able to do so without having to worry about stepping on a child that is moving around out of the prudent line of sight.

If you don't choose to dance with energy, that's you and no one else's concern. 

Of course a small child has a right to be anywhere but for me,  it's not a good idea.  Some people don't agree with that. That's fine.

I am saying is I don't want to injure someone's child or myself when a parent won't control their darling and allows them to be in a dangerous zone.

Edited by JMorris271
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I think it is adorable when a parent actually dances with their child. Letting kids loose to do their thing is a different and not safe issue.

Isn't preventing injury the purpose of safety?

A careless parent  is the cause that has the effect. That being an injury in this discussion

BTW, I too enjoy seeing parents dancing with a child.

Edited by JMorris271
  • Like 1

I think this is just like any situation that should be on a case-by-case basis.  I think its ludicrous to say kids shouldn't be on the dance floor.  However, if a parent sees that there are people on the floor who take their dancing seriously, they should make sure their kids aren't dancing near them.  It's a community thing....simple as that.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ducklite said:

This is where Disney excels over all other lines.  They have a series of clubs for adults only, and a family club where half the dance floor is filled with the littles.

Disney is geared to families.If you are an adult couple over 60,you will usually go to a different cruise line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Disney is geared to families.If you are an adult couple over 60,you will usually go to a different cruise line.

You'd actually be surprised how many people sail DCL without children in tow.  I'm assuming you've never sailed on them.  I have.  Twice.

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I think this is just like any situation that should be on a case-by-case basis.  I think its ludicrous to say kids shouldn't be on the dance floor.  However, if a parent sees that there are people on the floor who take their dancing seriously, they should make sure their kids aren't dancing near them.  It's a community thing....simple as that.  

Unfortunately, I think we have all see it on cruises that some parents just let their little ones run amuck, because it is easier on them then trying to keep them under control.  That is why I say, dance the way you want, don't pay attention to the children and let the parents take care of them.  If one gets knocked over, oh well, it is bound to happen.

3 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Unfortunately, I think we have all see it on cruises that some parents just let their little ones run amuck, because it is easier on them then trying to keep them under control.  That is why I say, dance the way you want, don't pay attention to the children and let the parents take care of them.  If one gets knocked over, oh well, it is bound to happen.

Ha.  True.  I'm more likely to stumble over my own feet on the dance floor than a feral kid.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2020 at 1:49 AM, frantic36 said:

Maybe the better idea would have been to accidentally trip and spill a drink on mother so she would have to go change and take her children with her?

Julie

A couple of problems with that theory, Julie.....

1 - Yes, easy enough for me to trip the kid/s, without even them knowing the perpetrator.

But to compute the direction, angle of attack, trajectory and child's speed accurately enough for mother's drink to be hit by friendly fire I'd have needed help from NASA. :classic_biggrin:

2 - And if I had managed that perfect trip, requiring mother to go change her drink-soaked clothes, I suspect she'd have gone  alone, leaving her feral offspring behind. :classic_ohmy:

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On a related point. On one cruise I was in the theatre and there was a dysfunctional family present with the kids running around. during an energetic dance routine they ran onto and across the stage causing some dancers to take evasive action. There was a collective gasp from the audience. Later the captain announced that if anything like that happened again he would ban ALL children from the theatre for the rest of the cruise. There were no further problems, apparently because the dysfunctional family just caused chaos elsewhere.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

On a related point. On one cruise I was in the theatre and there was a dysfunctional family present with the kids running around. during an energetic dance routine they ran onto and across the stage causing some dancers to take evasive action. There was a collective gasp from the audience. Later the captain announced that if anything like that happened again he would ban ALL children from the theatre for the rest of the cruise. There were no further problems, apparently because the dysfunctional family just caused chaos elsewhere.

Wow, I hope security would have had a discussion to possibly remove that family from the ship.

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

No,we have not but we have friends who do annual family cruises.

And again, you'd be surprised at how many cruise on DCL without children.   On both of our DCL cruises it was probably 50-50 groups with and groups without children with them.

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

And again, you'd be surprised at how many cruise on DCL without children.   On both of our DCL cruises it was probably 50-50 groups with and groups without children with them.

Again,I never cruised on Disney .I am just going by what I have heard.Obviously since you have been on Disney cruises you have a different opinion.

If everyone had the same thoughts the world would be very strange.

Many years ago I read a book about a society in which everyone looked alike and did not have independent thoughts.