Questions about Cagney's and Moderno

I have reservations at both restaurants for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. I know NCL is much more casual than most cruise lines and have read their dress code. My question is, will most ladies be dressed up a bit in these restaurants?  Does doing a longer cruise increase or decrease this probability?  We’re flying so I don’t want to bring unnecessary dress clothes, but I’ve lost weight since our last cruise so it might be fun to dress up a bit.

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

7 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I have reservations at both restaurants for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. I know NCL is much more casual than most cruise lines and have read their dress code. My question is, will most ladies be dressed up a bit in these restaurants?  Does doing a longer cruise increase or decrease this probability?  We’re flying so I don’t want to bring unnecessary dress clothes, but I’ve lost weight since out last cruise so it might be fun to dress up a bit.

You will see everything from total slobs to cocktail dress plus tuxedo, no one cares on the ship seriously, just dress as you want, me in a hot weather itinerary wears shorts, sandals and polo shirt

14 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I have reservations at both restaurants for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. I know NCL is much more casual than most cruise lines and have read their dress code. My question is, will most ladies be dressed up a bit in these restaurants?  Does doing a longer cruise increase or decrease this probability?  We’re flying so I don’t want to bring unnecessary dress clothes, but I’ve lost weight since our last cruise so it might be fun to dress up a bit.

I honestly couldn't say what other people dress in, as that is of no interest to me. What I would say though is that the decision is yours. If you don't want to carry the clothes on the flight then don't bother, but if the attraction of dressing up trumps that then do. It's totally up to you, and what you will enjoy.

Others can do what they like. A great thing about freestyle is that you can make these decisions yourself. You won't look out of place either way.

Resort casual is acceptable which includes shorts is acceptable at both Cagney's and Moderno. You will see some people dressed up, more so at Cagney's in my experience. If you wish to dress fancy you will not feel out of place, like wise if you dress smart casual. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Almost everyone I've seen in the specialty restaurants (guys) wear slacks, usually a golf shirt/long sleeve collared, and shoes (not sandals). 

im sure there have been folks who wore dress shorts but I literally can't recall them outside the MDR/buffet. 

I've seen ties and even sportcoats but not anything approaching formal, not there would be anything wrong with that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

actually neither cagneys nor moderno care as long as you look presentable. I usually wear only jeans and a polo shirt with tennis shoes, and have never been denied a seat in either since i started cruising with ncl in 2010. word to the wise, if you've never been to a moderno style restaurant, make absolutely sure you come "HUNGRY"

On 1/26/2020 at 1:36 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

Almost everyone I've seen in the specialty restaurants (guys) wear slacks, usually a golf shirt/long sleeve collared, and shoes (not sandals). 

I routinely see men wearing shorts or jeans, a jokey t-shirt and, although they are not supposed to, a ball cap, sometimes turned backwards. 

Resort casual is excepted, you may see someone get a pass dressed down a bit, and you will see people dressed up. But most will be resort casual from what we have seen, and that included a transpacific where we ate at Cagney's alot.

1 hour ago, tef43 said:

Why does it matter to you what anyone else is wearing?  Dress up, or not, it's your choice.  Nobody else will give it a second thought.

It’s not that, I just thought it might be fun to dress up a bit one night but not if most others won’t be. What about Le Bistro?

17 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

It’s not that, I just thought it might be fun to dress up a bit one night but not if most others won’t be. What about Le Bistro?

Le Bistro is a little bit more formal...they disapprove of shorts...

If you want to dress up a bit, that would be the restaurant to do it in...

• Thanks 1

I would say that if you enjoy dressing up, go ahead and do it.  Even if it turns out the majority aren't (you did ask "will most ladies be dressed up" - maybe not "most"), I have found enough people still dress up that you won't feel like you totally stick out.  I wore a kind of dressy-dress on the photo-with-the-captain night (whatever they call it now), and my husband wore his tuxedo.  Yes, I think he was the only one in a tux that night (or any night), but we had fun.  We were going to have our own second dress-up night later in the cruise, but got a little lazy about it.  I did wear a nicer top and very sparkly earrings on our other "date night" in a specialty restaurant.

I did observe some women in sparkly cocktail dresses on some other random evenings, out & about the ship and also in the lounge/nightclub.

• Like 1

For us the joy of Norwegian is that no matter what you are wearing it is almost impossible to feel out of place. We have only cruised in Europe but every night you will see everything from the most casual to the most dressy and everything in-between. I wear what makes me happy, slightly more dressy clothes and slightly less dressy sandals works for me for some night, a dress other nights and cropped trousers and a stripped top others. 

We love Le Bistro, save your favourite outfit for that night and enjoy the food and the atmosphere. 

• Like 1