Saving seats in theatre

To me it is a no no to save seats in the theatre. I don't mind  if one member of a group leaves their seat to go to the toilet or some other reason and their seat is saved. It's not fair for one member of a group races to the theatre and save seats for the remainder of the group. They should go all together to be seated. On our last cruise, a couple came and sat beside us and left a wrap/ shawl over the two seats while they went to buy drinks. I was asked so many times if the seats were taken. 

Leigh

I agree. I have no problem if one person sits diwn and saves one seat for their partner or friend, but saving more than one seat or leaving things on seats to save them isn't fair. 

The other thing that annoys me in theatres is people who hog the aisle seats on an empty row instead of filling the row from the centre out. Then the next couple come along, leave one empty seat between them and the aisle seat couple, and so on. We always go to the middle seats and watch the fun as people come in and see all the odd seats. On a Majestic cruise the crew were telling people to close the gaps so more people could sit with their partners instead of having to split up to get a seat.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree. I have no problem if one person sits diwn and saves one seat for their partner or friend, but saving more than one seat or leaving things on seats to save them isn't fair. 

The other thing that annoys me in theatres is people who hog the aisle seats on an empty row instead of filling the row from the centre out. Then the next couple come along, leave one empty seat between them and the aisle seat couple, and so on. We always go to the middle seats and watch the fun as people come in and see all the odd seats. On a Majestic cruise the crew were telling people to close the gaps so more people could sit with their partners instead of having to split up to get a seat.

Good to see the staff actually doing something proactive, normally they will avoid all confrontation.

If people have come to the theatre and then left for the WC or the bar (for 5 mins or so) and they have left one person to mind the seats. I have no issue with that. But saving many seats for people who have not shown up yet is wrong and most cruise lines do not allow it.

• Like 1

So how do you tackle this if you can’t find a steward and one person is holding more than a fair share of seats, just sit in them anyway and wait to be abused and avoid said person like the plague for the rest of the cruise.

How would you approach this ?

Cheers Carole

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

So how do you tackle this if you can’t find a steward and one person is holding more than a fair share of seats, just sit in them anyway and wait to be abused and avoid said person like the plague for the rest of the cruise.

Cheers Carole

Politely point out that saving seats is not allowed and if they have any issues with you sitting there they should take it up with a crew member. If they get abusive ask one of the waiters to call security.

It depends on many things, one is how many other seats are there, another is how much we want to see the show. If there are no other seats available and we really want to see the show, then we will ask politely while mentioning the no saved seats policy and sit down. Like I said before one or two seats for 5 minutes may be fine but not more than that for any amount of time.

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

I think OzkiwiJJ is pretty on the money BUT some people loaded up with booze and excitement can be unpredictable.

5 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Hi all , just wondered about your thoughts on people saving seats for people in the theatres 
Cheers Carole

Make em walk the plank. No quarter. 😲

I always get there at least 30 minutes early and sit in the middle. One of the entertainments while waiting is watching the "cruiser shuffle", as people sit as close as they can to the aisle and then have to stand every time someone has to shuffle past them into the centre seats. This can happen a dozen times before the curtain rises.

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

A couple of months ago on the Sea Princess, one women was saving 8 or 9 seats so we went to the next row. The woman there was saving around six seats. I suggested it wasn't reasonable, but didn't want to upset my own evening by making a scene. We sat in another row and enjoyed the show.

A couple of times when I have seen people saving seats, the people they are waiting for never turn up, but the 'seat-saver' has spent half an hour jealously guarding the seats and looking anxiously for their friends. It is best to just smile, but say nothing.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

A couple of times when I have seen people saving seats, the people they are waiting for never turn up, but the 'seat-saver' has spent half an hour jealously guarding the seats and looking anxiously for their friends. It is best to just smile, but say nothing.

It happens a lot.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:01 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

Make em walk the plank. No quarter. 😲

I always get there at least 30 minutes early and sit in the middle. One of the entertainments while waiting is watching the "cruiser shuffle", as people sit as close as they can to the aisle and then have to stand every time someone has to shuffle past them into the centre seats. This can happen a dozen times before the curtain rises.

This can also happen two dozen times after the curtain rises.

On 2/2/2020 at 6:23 PM, Aus Traveller said:

That is typically how a group will get rid of or shake off that unwanted person. Tell them to do that and then not turn up and ditch them while at the same time making them look like a complete idiot.

7 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

That is typically how a group will get rid of or shake off that unwanted person. Tell them to do that and then not turn up and ditch them while at the same time making them look like a complete idiot.

That is a terrible thing to do,,why not just tell them (this is not working for us ) 

Cheers Carole

2 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I think it's more likely the people who don't turn up are occupied somewhere else and forget, or don't realize their friend is going to keep seats for them.

3 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

You hang out with some weird groups of people.