Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

11 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

I notice that the COVID19 dashboard now lists 621 "Others" infected. Traditionally this category has been specifically for Diamond Princess passengers. Is it really 621 affected now?

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Yes. WHO is listing category OTHER with all cases specified "international convenience" Diamond Princess.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

I get that the Japanese pax can go home, but what happens to all the other pax from countries who have restrictions on when they can return home now that they have disembarked? 

Are hotels being arranged? Will hotels even take them if it is known, e.g. through passports (and forgive my ignorance, I really do not know if this info is accessible or not) that Diamond Princess was their last point of travel?

Who is arranging this, and the testing needed, if any, to authorize their journey home?  Is Princess coordinating?  I see a lot about the virus itself, but was wondering about the logistics now that they are back out in the free (sorta) world again.  Anyone have any insight at all? 

26 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Do they have to go into quarantine, or are they cleared because they tested negative?

They do but believe it will be shortened after a few retests. They have their flight info leaving tomorrow and arriving early, early Friday am. They’ve all packed and are ready to go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rich_cathybrock said:

I get that the Japanese pax can go home, but what happens to all the other pax from countries who have restrictions on when they can return home now that they have disembarked? 

Are hotels being arranged? Will hotels even take them if it is known, e.g. through passports (and forgive my ignorance, I really do not know if this info is accessible or not) that Diamond Princess was their last point of travel?

Who is arranging this, and the testing needed, if any, to authorize their journey home?  Is Princess coordinating?  I see a lot about the virus itself, but was wondering about the logistics now that they are back out in the free (sorta) world again.  Anyone have any insight at all?

What was the nationality of those who disembarked? I wouldn't be surprised if they were all Japanese citizens. Several other countries (US, Canada, Aust/NZ, Hong Kong and UK) have, or are taking, their own people home except for those who choose to stay. If they have a family member in hospital, it is likely they will be accommodated in a hotel. Princess staff are in Yokohama to organise (and pay for) hotels and later, flights.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Princess staff are in Yokohama to organise (and pay for) hotels and later, flights.

Ah!  Thank you for that.  In all the information (an misinformation) this detail was lost on me.  So net-net, they report to, or call this team, who arrange accommodations (all very hush, hush, presumably, to avoid riots) and ultimately coordinate flights when their respective embassies clear them to travel home.  Probably the same group coordinating reuniting those separated during hospitalizations of one partner during the quarantine.  If so, these folks will deserve a medal as do the staff of the Diamond who have, for me at least, raised the bar on employee loyalty to new heights.  

All assumptions on my part, as I have seen nothing reported on this process.  Interesting to see how this plays out.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

What was the nationality of those who disembarked? I wouldn't be surprised if they were all Japanese citizens. Several other countries (US, Canada, Aust/NZ, Hong Kong and UK) have, or are taking, their own people home except for those who choose to stay. If they have a family member in hospital, it is likely they will be accommodated in a hotel. Princess staff are in Yokohama to organise (and pay for) hotels and later, flights.

Half the pax on the ship were Japanese, according to media.  So likely majority of disembarkees were Japanese.

4 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

Yeap, I don't understand it either.

Mostly Japanese who disembarked yesterday I believe, as more than half the pax on board were Japanese.  Could be walking time bombs.

My son left Sydney on a ski trip to Japan today, hope he took a mask or three. 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

Japanese hospitals are full, hence the hostel accommodation, don't know what that will be like.  No phones, no wifi so will have to wait until someone exists the 'hostel.'

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sppunk said:

An update from our friends: both tested and came back negative. Hoping on a plane and will back in Trenton, Ontario, around 1:30 a.m. Friday.

thank you for sharing the news about your friends. 
Wishing them a great trip home. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Japanese hospitals are full, hence the hostel accommodation, don't know what that will be like.  No phones, no wifi so will have to wait until someone exists the 'hostel.'

Hopefully one of the Diamond passengers that are going there will have data on their phones to use so actual news will get out. 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

How does the author of the photo know the people shown are from Diamond Princess, or even from HK?  Could be walking time bombs.

The picture has been mischaracterized. It was taken *by* someone who has been let off the ship. I think the people pictured were just passers by. Click the link.

19 minutes ago, DivotMaker said:

Oh my goodness that is just horrible news. A man and woman both in their 80’s.  So sad.  

It is indeed sad news and clearly elderly people are more at risk of significant consequences. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, itsallaboutmememe said:

IMO everyone disembarking from the Diamond Princess should have to be quarantined for at least 14 days.   This could either be in their own country or in Hong Kong, but they should not be able just to disembark and go wherever they please.

Why Hong Kong?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

How do you know?

check out yardley_wong on Twitter and you can read it yourself.

The caption on this one is “#freedom #day1 walking down the street to feel the depth of space. Such a nice neighbourhood. Keep on to absorb #postquarantine #covid19 #diamondprincess”

This does show the absolute polar opposites between the ways some governments are approaching this. She is from HK which is enforcing quarantine. But in the time between isolation on the ship and actually being flown back to HK from the 14 day quarantine they have no restrictions (per her responses to people asking).

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

How do you know?

The picture was taken by Yardley Wong - she was on the ship and disembarked yesterday. She is from  Hong Kong but not going back immediately since her parents and uncles/aunt are still on the ship. She posted video to her twitter account (which some of us on here have been following) of her disembarkation and subsequent pictures of her out in Japan.

• Like 2