water shoes on princess cay

ricruzer

YES to the water shoes! 

I did the shore fishing excursion that required us to wade out in to the surf. The surf was nothing but sharp and unlevel rocks. Also the shoreline had very little or no sand. The water shoes made the day.

Also the fishing was great. Hooked up on just about every cast of the bait. 🎣

Happy Trails 🥃

I've managed fine without water shoes at Princess Cays. You just have to be careful entering and exiting the water. Once I'm about waist deep, my feet don't touch the bottom until I'm ready to get out of the water.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm surprised that Princess chose that beach in the Bahamas to develop. It's probably one of the worst/rockiest beaches I've even been to & hardly go in the water any more.  

I agree. We try to avoid itineraries that call on Princess Cay or we just stay on the ship now.  It's probably the worst Private island of any cruise line.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm surprised that Princess chose that beach in the Bahamas to develop. It's probably one of the worst/rockiest beaches I've even been to & hardly go in the water any more.  

The problem is the development of that beach with the tender pier  and jetties that interrupts the natural ebb and replenishment of the sand.

When I first visited the beach on another cruise line (which went out of business and its assets passed through P&O to Princess), it was a beautiful sandy beach with a white sand bottom.

To go ashore, we took the open dory style lifeboats and had to go over the side to wade the last few yards to the beach.

Sand dollars were plentiful.

The only structure was a pit privy which is still there hidden among the newer restrooms.

21 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree. We try to avoid itineraries that call on Princess Cay or we just stay on the ship now.  It's probably the worst Private island of any cruise line.

The flies were in full force the other day for lunch. Thankfully  I was among the first to eat & I could dig down to get things protected from the landing on the top layer. They were so bad that they were landing on even the hot chicken & ribs that were being heated.

Yea I know, I should have stayed on the ship but I ventured over to see if anything had recently changed. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

The flies were in full force the other day for lunch. Thankfully  I was among the first to eat & I could dig down to get things protected from the landing on the top layer. They were so bad that they were landing on even the hot chicken & ribs that were being heated.

Yea I know, I should have stayed on the ship but I ventured over to see if anything had recently changed. 

People always comment on these boards how they don't touch elevator buttons, and handrails to prevent colds, noro ect. I avoid those island buffets like the plague.  

41 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

People always comment on these boards how they don't touch elevator buttons, and handrails to prevent colds, noro ect. I avoid those island buffets like the plague.  

Last time were on Princess Cays in addition to the buffet, there were 3 different food carts and we were served food by the employee, so we weren't touching the serving utensils. The carts had tacos (choice of meats), jerk chicken and wraps.

In Princess Cays a week ago for my first time. Didn’t have water shoes and had to wear my flip flops and try not to lose them. Gave up and walked very carefully and gingerly.  We rented the aqua chairs which were heavenly in my opinion. Had a big breakfast so didn’t eat at the grill but did visit the bar. There are worse  things than  floating  around clear water on a sunny day, drink In cup holder.  I’d do it again but would bring the water shoes.  Also rented a cabana but found I preferred the sun. 

30 minutes ago, sttopmh said:

Last time were on Princess Cays in addition to the buffet, there were 3 different food carts and we were served food by the employee, so we weren't touching the serving utensils. The carts had tacos (choice of meats), jerk chicken and wraps.

I’m not concerned with the utensils either. It’s the disease carrying flies landing on the food that I avoid.

Disney now owns the southern tip of Eleuthera and there are long stretches of gorgeous sandy beaches.  They are calling it Lighthouse Point.  From the markets outside Princess Cay it's a 3 mile walk down some bumpy roads, but well worth the effort and when I was there last year it was deserted.  Google Maps show the way.   https://lighthousepointbahamas.com/

I've got some pics somewhere, will try to post them if/when I find them.  Not sure I've ever been to a nicer beach!