Carnival Corporation Arrogance

tcc8v

5 minutes ago, Fat Albert said:

The Noro virus is from feces. The virus is not airborne or a blood pathogen. It is human feces that is ingested by a person through mouth, nose or eyes. The feces comes from dirty hands with micro feces on them and is spread on handles, buttons, railings, utensils and various other ways to spread it around. You then touched the feces and touched your eyes, nose or mouth and put the feces into your body.  This is not an airborne virus or blood pathogen , it is from human feces .

From the CDC:

This can happen if you

• eat food or drink liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,
  • touch surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus then put your fingers in your mouth, or
  • have direct contact with someone who is infected with norovirus, such as by caring for them or sharing food or eating utensils with them.

Yes, and we ate a a pizza parlor and got sick. Can't prove the source, but it was the most likely. I'm extremely careful about what I touch and then making sure I wash my hands, but you can't avoid 100%. 

My point was that norovirus is extremely contagious, regardless of how it is spread. Most people associate the norovirus with cruise ships, but that is not always the case. You can get a virus from other sources.

And your point is that only careless people get sick and that the norovirus doesn't spread quickly?

35 minutes ago, Cruizer Diana said:

From the CDC:

This can happen if you

• eat food or drink liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,
  • touch surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus then put your fingers in your mouth, or
  • have direct contact with someone who is infected with norovirus, such as by caring for them or sharing food or eating utensils with them.

Yes, and we ate a a pizza parlor and got sick. Can't prove the source, but it was the most likely. I'm extremely careful about what I touch and then making sure I wash my hands, but you can't avoid 100%. 

My point was that norovirus is extremely contagious, regardless of how it is spread. Most people associate the norovirus with cruise ships, but that is not always the case. You can get a virus from other sources.

And your point is that only careless people get sick and that the norovirus doesn't spread quickly?

I got Noro from a cashier at Dunkin Donuts. No clue how because she didn't touch my food or drinks and I used my credit card and that didn't require handing it to her. I only figured it out because after I got better I stopped at DD and she asked me why I didn't order my usual coffee and I said I was getting over a stomach bug and she said she was too.

26 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

I got Noro from a cashier at Dunkin Donuts. No clue how because she didn't touch my food or drinks and I used my credit card and that didn't require handing it to her. I only figured it out because after I got better I stopped at DD and she asked me why I didn't order my usual coffee and I said I was getting over a stomach bug and she said she was too.

Maybe she got it from you!  Just saying. It is not easy to always know where you pick something up. 

• Like 7

On 2/7/2020 at 6:00 PM, chipmaster said:

Huh

I really like the shallow thinking from RCCL, they are all bad and dangerous and you are not welcome as customers, now that is shallow and arrogance taking to another level!

"Royal Caribbean said it would not allow people with passports from China, Hong Kong or Macau to board its ships, or anyone who traveled there in the past 15 days."

This was not solely their decision.  It was made by CLIA in conjunction with local and international bodies and all member lines are affected.  NONE are currently accepting passengers /passports from affected countries nor anyone who has transited through them in the past 15 days.

As to credit, I am confident all the lines will step up and do the right thing.  Right now, the most important thing is to ensure the health and well-being of the passengers currently on lockdown on the Diamond (which to my knowledge is the only vessel with a problem after earlier reports w/Westerdam, Anthem and maybe a few others).

Agree with earlier poster - pay for insurance to secure the value of your investment.  Just the sensible thing to do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rich_cathybrock said:

This was not solely their decision.  It was made by CLIA in conjunction with local and international bodies and all member lines are affected.  NONE are currently accepting passengers /passports from affected countries nor anyone who has transited through them in the past 15 days.

As to credit, I am confident all the lines will step up and do the right thing.  Right now, the most important thing is to ensure the health and well-being of the passengers currently on lockdown on the Diamond (which to my knowledge is the only vessel with a problem after earlier reports w/Westerdam, Anthem and maybe a few others).

Agree with earlier poster - pay for insurance to secure the value of your investment.  Just the sensible thing to do.

Many travel insurance plans do not cover losses caused by pandemics/epidemics.  So travel insurance might not help here.

Wow!  I had no idea.  That' s horrible. I wonder if that's why the cruise lines are being so generous to those affected this week (citing what I know of HAL, Princess and Royal so far).  

Conversely, if you are scheduled to travel to Asia and cannot because there is a ban on flights per US State Dept, I would think that should be covered since you cannot get there - no?

Depends on the policy and under what section of coverage you are claiming.  Most policies’ cancellation under Medical  does not cover a pandemic or an anticipated (but not current) illness.  

OTOH, Cancel For Any Reason Coverage (CFAR) has no such limitation, but usually has only partial reimbursement; a percentage of total cost or credit rather cash depending on the policy chosen.  It behooves one to read the policy in detail to understand what you are purchasing AND WHAT IT COVERS.   Much discussion of this over on the insurance forum.   

3 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Many travel insurance plans do not cover losses caused by pandemics/epidemics.  So travel insurance might not help here.

Prefer cancel for any reason insurance. Covered me 100% (less $60 for insurance) when I decided to not fly WOW Airlines. No reason. Rebooked same day with UAL

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 3:54 PM, Ombud said:

They can control the epidemic on their vessels as soon as people stop lying on health questionnaires 

I personally would like to seen the sensitivity and positive predictive value of those questionaires. 

This thread should come to a end .  imo ,it does not give help to any one  including Carnival corporation . Candidly ,governments need to push the bio chemical companies to come up with a cure as soon as possible & expense should have zero consideration 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Do as I have done, "Unfollow" and let the rest have their moan.  Better here than on yet another thread!!

Yes, you can unfollow this thread (assuming you chose to follow it originally) but human nature will draw people back to a topic in which they have posted and are invested, in some way or another. Self discipline in ignoring any future activity on a thread is the best route. 🙂

On 2/9/2020 at 12:55 PM, Fat Albert said:

The Noro virus is from feces. The virus is not airborne or a blood pathogen. It is human feces that is ingested by a person through mouth, nose or eyes. The feces comes from dirty hands with micro feces on them and is spread on handles, buttons, railings, utensils and various other ways to spread it around. You then touched the feces and touched your eyes, nose or mouth and put the feces into your body.  This is not an airborne virus or blood pathogen , it is from human feces .

If someone with noro vomits, droplets from that can also spread the disease.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, Ombud said:

Prefer cancel for any reason insurance. Covered me 100% (less $60 for insurance) when I decided to not fly WOW Airlines. No reason. Rebooked same day with UAL

Does this give you a FCC or refund to credit card?