What will Japan and HAL do with the Westy

Hlitner

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Many folks do not understand how most  trip insurance works.  If you are actually ticketed for a flight, the insurance companies do not want to pay.  They insist that you can get a voucher or credit from the airline.  If the airline gives you a voucher it is usually only good for 1 year and only if you buy tickets on that specific airline.  The cruise line might actually be willing to pay for a change fee, which is usually up to $250 but one can still be stuck with a voucher worth thousands of dollars on an airline for which you have no use.  

Hank

We used or travel insurance to claim our flight changes from Shanghai to Tokyo for the 2/29 cruise on the Westerdam. Travel insurance paid the total cost for change minus the excess. They have also told us that if the cruise is cancelled we will get the total amount back for the change, No mention of taking an airline credit.

You pay for what you get with travel insurance. Cheaper policies or those with credit cards may be different but would not cheap out on insurance. 

Meanwhile RCCL stock gained 3.7% yesterday,  United Airlines also up. This was apparently in response to reports that the number of new cases inChina declined for the second straight day.

On edit - “Good Morning America” reporting a massive surge in new cases overnight.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Celebrity Millennium has discharged all her pax in Singapore and cancelled the remaining Pacific/Japan and trans-Pac cruises.  Speculation abounds on the X boards.  Some sleuths have discovered recent additions to the Hawaii and West Coast port schedules that indicate she may be doing a Hawaii to West Coast cruise followed by a few extra coastal cruises before the Alaska schedule begins.   Right now she is at anchor off Singapore. 

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

On edit - “Good Morning America” reporting a massive surge in new cases overnight.

This is due to an agreed change on how they are reporting cases. Before, they were using a very strict criteria on a case-by-case basis. The new definition allows for inclusion of milder cases.

Edited to add:  In other news, though, I see the number of cases on Diamond Princess has increased again.

Edited by cruisemom42

18 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Just my two cents:  I was planning a fall Japanese cruise (different cruise line) and I have banished that thought.  I am disgusted with the lack of humanitarian concern.  I will spend my money somewhere else.

We have been planning six+ weeks on the Noordam next year March-May (B2B2B) from Yokohama eventually sailing back to Vancouver.  The way Japan is treating the passengers on Princess (half of whom are Japanese, I read) is appalling.  There are other places to travel.  Haven't booked this trip yet and am much less likely to do so.

While some say the virus will have run it's course by summer - the Olympics are to be based in Tokyo this year.  If Japan can't treat 3,000 cruises with empathy, how are they going to handle the Olympics?

Speculation on the Westy?  I would guess HAL will move it to the West Coast prior to it's scheduled Alaska season.  We are booked on Westy for Antarctica over the holidays.  May be some really low priced west coast / Mexico cruises coming soon.

• Like 3

It has been posted elsewhere that Taiwan and S Korea have closed their ports to cruise ships.  Maybe true, maybe not. But if it is (or happens after a flareup), what is HAL planning for the 2/29 cruise stop at Keelung and the 3/14 cruise stop at Busan ?  My understanding is that Japan has a rule for round-trip cruises that the ship must make at least one foreign stop.  (Like the US rule)  The 3/28 cruise hits Taiwan again, but the 4/11 cruise goes to Vladivostok.

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is due to an agreed change on how they are reporting cases. Before, they were using a very strict criteria on a case-by-case basis. The new definition allows for inclusion of milder cases.

Previously only positive virus tests were included in the totals. The change is to now include cases that were/are clinically diagnosed (but only in Hubei) by chest images showing pneumonia.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/coronavirus-outbreak-hits-60000-cases-after-reporting-change/

We're booked on the Feb 29th sailing and are waiting to hear if/when it is cancelled.  I hope we get some advance notice not like friends of mine who flew from Cozumel to Dallas to LAX to Tokyo and then to Singapore only to arrive and find out that NCL cancelled the Feb 15th sailing on the Jade.  They are booked for 2 more B2B so I'm not sure if they are going to stay in Singapore for 11 days before boarding and doing the 2nd cruise from Singapore to Dubai.  Might be nice to visit a few days and then head up to Kuala Lampur for a visit.

7 minutes ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

We're booked on the Feb 29th sailing and are waiting to hear if/when it is cancelled.  I hope we get some advance notice not like friends of mine who flew from Cozumel to Dallas to LAX to Tokyo and then to Singapore only to arrive and find out that NCL cancelled the Feb 15th sailing on the Jade.  They are booked for 2 more B2B so I'm not sure if they are going to stay in Singapore for 11 days before boarding and doing the 2nd cruise from Singapore to Dubai.  Might be nice to visit a few days and then head up to Kuala Lampur for a visit.

Singapore has its own problems with the virus so one wonders if there will be any cruises embarking or porting at that country.

Hank

26 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Singapore has its own problems with the virus so one wonders if there will be any cruises embarking or porting at that country.

Hank

Singapore currently has the highest per capita infection rate in the world.  Celebrity recently rerouted a ship away from Singapore.  

We to are waiting for news on the 29th feb cruise. Hope that they make their mind up soon. 

We have now been allocated a cabin, but think that like most people are waiting for the cruise to be cancelled. We have decided that we will not be going on it regardless and will most likely cancel, we will however still fly to Tokyo and enjoy a week there. 

Just hope that they offer a full refund plus a future cruise credit, they have already offered a 50% future cruise credit plus $100 OBC,  for the next cruise.

japan has bigger worries than  cruise ship passengers. they will have the summer olympics this summer and want to be free of this virus if possible.      questions about the diamond princess location.  she is not anchored at the osanbashi pier holland america is using .  the princess is held at daikofuto island.  a industrial port facility  on the other side of yokohama bridge as you are leaving osanbashi pier.         weix  

On 2/13/2020 at 8:39 AM, BSinPNS said:

Celebrity Millennium has discharged all her pax in Singapore and cancelled the remaining Pacific/Japan and trans-Pac cruises.  Speculation abounds on the X boards.  Some sleuths have discovered recent additions to the Hawaii and West Coast port schedules that indicate she may be doing a Hawaii to West Coast cruise followed by a few extra coastal cruises before the Alaska schedule begins.   Right now she is at anchor off Singapore. 

Per posts on the Celebrity board, here's info on what will happen to Millennium and Spectrum of the Seas: 

Royal Caribbean Cruises announced it will dedicate two ships to "humanitarian efforts in Australia and California" to support those affected by recent crises in both areas.

Both the Spectrum of the Seas and Celebrity Millennium, which are out of service due to the coronavirus outbreak, will redeploy for these sailings. 

The 2019-built Spectrum of the Seas will move Australia and be deployed on complimentary cruises sailing from Sydney in support of Australia's first responder community, according to a statement.

<and>

In addition, the Celebrity Millennium is moving to the West Coast of the U.S. earlier than previously scheduled ahead of her Alaska program and will offer a series of "Cruising for Heroes" voyages in support of California firefighters, other first responders and veterans. 

These voyages will run through March and April. A variety of three-, four- and five-night sailings have been added to the brand's offerings to travel the breathtaking Pacific Coast. The sailings will leave from Los Angeles and details will be announced soon.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22457-royal-caribbean-to-sail-free-cruises-for-crisis-responders-with-displaced-tonnage.html

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Singapore currently has the highest per capita infection rate in the world.  Celebrity recently rerouted a ship away from Singapore.  

As have Cunard with QM2 on a world cruise, she is skipping Singapore and heading for Fremantle - West Australia.

On 2/12/2020 at 12:49 PM, Hlitner said:

So now that Cambodia has stepped up to the rescue one wonders what will happen to the Westerdam in the near future.  As of this moment in time, HAL is still showing their intent to resume Westy cruises starting on 2/29 with embarkation from Yokohama.  Passengers on that cruise have been promised a $250 OBC plus up to another $250 in airline change fees.   If Japan were to allow the Westy to have access to their ports, the Westy could continue cruising around Japan until she moves over to Vancouver in May.  But the question is will Japan allow the Westy to resume cruising from Japan.  So far, HAL is not saying much and letting those on the 2/29 cruise assume that all is OK.  Those of us on later cruises out of Yokohama have no clue as to what will happen.  A big issue for many will be their air fare costs and what happens if the Westy Cruises are cancelled.  HAL would certainly refund the cruise cost, but would likely distance themselves from many of the related issues.  Those with insurance would also have issues with their insurers.  A potential big mess.

Hank

What do YOU  think HAL  will 'do'  with Westerdam?

Scrub her down, get  re turning crew back on board ,   see what the state of corona virus is  and   take it from there.   Repair/replace damaged items,  areas. That ship had to take a horrid beating this last stretch of time.     No one can know how widely  spread, world-wide this virus will  be years, let alone months   from now.

Seeing you asked, Hank.... what do you think  the  near time state of cruising in  Far East will be?   By end of this   year,    next year?

I think it is not -knowable

How are people supposed to fly to far east to join a ship?  not many commercial lines are flying there..  not many people think it a  situation into which they wish to put themselves.

Good luck, Hank

Edited by sail7seas

On 2/12/2020 at 7:16 PM, bennybear said:

Or they are trying to discourage bookings until decisions are made?   I read celebrity has just cancelled the rest of Millennium’s Asia cruise and she will return early to North America.   

The uncertainty is very difficult.   Not sure if HAL will follow suit? 

Hank, can you ask HAL what their refund policy will be before you have to lose money on flights?  Will they make you whole?  Or should you cancel flights and rebook them later?    

Just a thought,  last year when we did the April Cherry Blossom Cruise,  my cousin decided to join us a week prior to sailing and had no difficulty getting a cabin, flights and hotel.  

That was last year.  This year,  CDC and many viralists are saying, they do  not think this epidemic will  end post haste.  I cannot imagine who would  think ofbooking a cruise sailing in  that part of the world in the very near future.  AT least wait until the scientists , researchers come up with a potent anti-viral  med that can help treat this horrid virus, IMO.

How can one enjoy themselves in an atmosphere where many are  'waiting to see  who  will  become ill ?

I agree Sail,  if it were me I would wait and see. Sadly I think it is unlikely to be over by then.  But what I was saying is I wouldn’t risk the money if I already had flights booked,  if things do improve I think flights will be reasonable last minute like last year.  

Edited by bennybear

My wife and I are going to wait this out.  To change air tickets, hotel, tours will be a big pain and at some expense.   Getting to Japan is not a problem.  The problem is where the ship has been before our cruise starts.  I spoke to HA, today, and the ship might not even leave from Yokohama.  The cruise is still over 2 months away.  Also to keep things is prospective , the flu here in the States is much worse and the death toll unfortunately, much higher.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 8:47 AM, eroller said:

The entire cruise industry is facing a huge dilemma.  What to do with all these ships in the short term and long term?  Is it the time to abandon Asia and redeploy, or wait it out??   

What about creating totally new different itineraries which will appeal to seasoned cruisers AS WELL AS everybody else.  Examples:

-East coast of USA with 2 nights at each port of calls: cute towns in Maine, Boston, Washington, Williamsburg...  How fun would it be to discover the East coast of USA without having to drive or take a tour?  HAL could do 14.days in N/E USA and another 14.days in S/E USA

.Africa:  I understand HAL will be stopping in Africa this fall but all the sea days are not at all appealing to us.  This is why we are looking at Azamara, Oceania or Norwegian for winter 2021 from Cape Town or from Dubai.

-West coast of USA with overnights in several cute places for a total of 14 days.  Could do B2B with 14 days N/W and 14 days S/W of USA

We are now trying to find cruises that spend overnights (2 nights would even be better at some port of calls) in historical cities (even towns) full of museums...  
We are hoping to see positive coming out of this mess in Asia and see “out of the box” cruises.

We are currently in Tanzania (also spent 15 days in Uganda) and are really impressed with this part of the world in terms of beauty of the land, friendliness of the people and teaching us so much in so many ways.

We hope HAL, Princess, Norwegian (actually they are impressing us with their Africa itineraries)... will be ingenious, open minded in trying new itineraries.  I know it is not easy but if you want to be the leader in the cruise industry, you have to think think outside the box and be proactive which HAL is really lacking.  They use to have superb itineraries but lately, they have nothing new...

Anybody else thinking like us?

The Canadians!😎

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bennybear said:

If the ship doesn’t leave from Yokohama to do a circle Japan tour,  it makes no sense, unless they are looking at cancelling Asia cruises like Celebrity. 

I am on the April 11 circle Japan cruise. My main concern is the itinerary -- which is what drives my travel choices about 99% of the time.  If Japan decides against allowing cruise ship calls, I am not interested in staying with this voyage. 

Of course, the new coronavirus finding puts doubt on the Feb 29 cruise, but I think the key for our cruise will be what Japan decides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cashmeremypuppydog said:

What about creating totally new different itineraries which will appeal to seasoned cruisers AS WELL AS everybody else.  Examples:

-East coast of USA with 2 nights at each port of calls: cute towns in Maine, Boston, Washington, Williamsburg...  How fun would it be to discover the East coast of USA without having to drive or take a tour?  HAL could do 14.days in N/E USA and another 14.days in S/E USA

-West coast of USA with overnights in several cute places for a total of 14 days.  Could do B2B with 14 days N/W and 14 days S/W of USA

Anybody else thinking like us?

The Canadians!😎

These would be illegal.

• Like 1