What will Japan and HAL do with the Westy

Hlitner

So now that Cambodia has stepped up to the rescue one wonders what will happen to the Westerdam in the near future.  As of this moment in time, HAL is still showing their intent to resume Westy cruises starting on 2/29 with embarkation from Yokohama.  Passengers on that cruise have been promised a $250 OBC plus up to another $250 in airline change fees.   If Japan were to allow the Westy to have access to their ports, the Westy could continue cruising around Japan until she moves over to Vancouver in May.  But the question is will Japan allow the Westy to resume cruising from Japan.  So far, HAL is not saying much and letting those on the 2/29 cruise assume that all is OK.  Those of us on later cruises out of Yokohama have no clue as to what will happen.  A big issue for many will be their air fare costs and what happens if the Westy Cruises are cancelled.  HAL would certainly refund the cruise cost, but would likely distance themselves from many of the related issues.  Those with insurance would also have issues with their insurers.  A potential big mess.

Hank

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Just my two cents:  I was planning a fall Japanese cruise (different cruise line) and I have banished that thought.  I am disgusted with the lack of humanitarian concern.  I will spend my money somewhere else.

My two cents (and a penny is worth nothing in Canada 😉 ).  We also have a fall Japan cruise planned and have not cancelled.  We are watching & waiting and will decide as the news unfolds.  To cancel at this stage is premature IMO although I am currently not doing much more planning 😉 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kazu said:

My two cents (and a penny is worth nothing in Canada 😉 ).  We also have a fall Japan cruise planned and have not cancelled.  We are watching & waiting and will decide as the news unfolds.  To cancel at this stage is premature IMO although I am currently not doing much planning 😉 

I had not booked yet so I did not have to "cancel".   I am not in the worried camp just disgusted by the Japanese response to the situation.  

3 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

The same crew will be still be on board. So if you follow the japanese view of things, nothing will have changed.

But by the time they return to Japan, they will have more than exceeded the current 14-day incubation period for the virus, so presumably would be considered virus-free if they have not developed symptoms.

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

No one knows today. Stay tuned to the news every day. Don't panic.

Happy cruising!

Not panicking at all although we have seen a few panic posts on some roll calls.  My personal concern is about over a lot of money we have tied up in Business Class Air which will not be ticketed for another few days.  There are a few strategies we can employee to deal with that issue, prior to ticketing on EZAIr but knowing HAL's plans makes life much easier and can save us a few thousand dollars.

Hank

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

But by the time they return to Japan, they will have more than exceeded the current 14-day incubation period for the virus, so presumably would be considered virus-free if they have not developed symptoms.

If that were the only criteria used by Japan, they could have simply gone to Yokohama later this week.  It seems that Japan is thinking beyond a simple 14 day incubation period.  

Hank

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If that were the only criteria used by Japan, they could have simply gone to Yokohama later this week.  It seems that Japan is thinking beyond a simple 14 day incubation period.  

Hank

Possibly no decisions will be made until the Diamond Princess clears out of Yokohama.  Certainly they wouldn't want to bring in a new ship while there are ambulances lined up there at the port for the Diamond. That would explain cancellation of the most imminent cruise.  Beyond that, probably neither HAL or Japan would yet know what's in store.

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Well, who knows.  I do know that HAL just increased the price (in CND) for the Feb 29 Collectors by about 500 pp for an inside.   I am astounded.  Are pax actually raring to go on this ship in that location?

They raised the price???  Unbelievable.  

They will be lucky to even fill the ship.  Westerdam certainly wasn’t full with 1400 passengers.  DH and I are not intimidated easily but no way would be on the February 29th cruise.  They haven’t even figured out how the virus spreads yet (immunologist - WHO meeting - CBC today).  There are gaps in what they know and if what they fear is true,  no way would we be on a cruise at the end of February.

Of course, things can change overnight but right now, that’s our attitude.

• Like 4

Or they are trying to discourage bookings until decisions are made?   I read celebrity has just cancelled the rest of Millennium’s Asia cruise and she will return early to North America.   

The uncertainty is very difficult.   Not sure if HAL will follow suit? 

Hank, can you ask HAL what their refund policy will be before you have to lose money on flights?  Will they make you whole?  Or should you cancel flights and rebook them later?    

Just a thought,  last year when we did the April Cherry Blossom Cruise,  my cousin decided to join us a week prior to sailing and had no difficulty getting a cabin, flights and hotel.  

posted on Celebrity cruise critic , their recent sailing  was cut short, with a lot of missed ports.

link to letter posted on Celebrity board regarding rest of spring season cancellation in Asia

POST #409 on page 17

Edited by CJcruzer

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I would buy very good insurance for those flights. 

Many folks do not understand how most  trip insurance works.  If you are actually ticketed for a flight, the insurance companies do not want to pay.  They insist that you can get a voucher or credit from the airline.  If the airline gives you a voucher it is usually only good for 1 year and only if you buy tickets on that specific airline.  The cruise line might actually be willing to pay for a change fee, which is usually up to $250 but one can still be stuck with a voucher worth thousands of dollars on an airline for which you have no use.  

Hank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Well, who knows.  I do know that HAL just increased the price (in CND) for the Feb 29 Collectors by about 500 pp for an inside.   I am astounded.  Are pax actually raring to go on this ship in that location?

Shows HAL has a warped sense of Humour.  You couldn't pay me to cruise in an inside cabin on 29/2 cruise.  I think cruise lines are going to get a big shock at just how much this virus will affect passengers future cruise plans, particularly in Asia.  

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Not panicking at all although we have seen a few panic posts on some roll calls.  My personal concern is about over a lot of money we have tied up in Business Class Air which will not be ticketed for another few days.  There are a few strategies we can employee to deal with that issue, prior to ticketing on EZAIr but knowing HAL's plans makes life much easier and can save us a few thousand dollars.

Hank

I would hold off getting your flights ticketed at this time, Hank.  

I notice the cruise lines have been cancelling cruises in Asia at the last minute.  You don't need that added stress when you are planning a holiday.  I think the odds would be good on getting a last minute Business Class ticket, if your cruise does go ahead, assuming you still want to cruise. 

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I would hold off getting your flights ticketed at this time, Hank.  

I notice the cruise lines have been cancelling cruises in Asia at the last minute.  You don't need that added stress when you are planning a holiday.  I think the odds would be good on getting a last minute Business Class ticket, if your cruise does go ahead, assuming you still want to cruise. 

We hear you.  Since our air is done via EZAIr, the cruise line will ticket it around 45 days prior to the cruise.  The only way we could stop that process would be to cancel the air.  It the cruise then would happen according to plan, we would need to purchase our air at a significantly higher cost.  Therein lies our dilemma,  We still have a few days before we reach the critical decision point and we will hope that HAL makes a decision prior to that date.

Hank

The entire cruise industry is facing a huge dilemma.  HAL is lucky it's only WESTERDAM they have to worry about.  Costa has 4 ships sitting idol, DIAMOND PRINCESS of course with Princess, a couple MSC ships, two ships for Dream Cruises, pretty much all the ships of Star Cruises (Genting), and one for Royal Caribbean.  What to do with all these ships in the short term and long term?  Is it the time to abandon Asia and redeploy, or wait it out??  Very tough decision.  These are only the ships based year round in Asia.  Another issue are all the other ships that stop in Asian ports on various cruises but are not based there year round.  Back to the year round ships, redeploying is a nightmare because there is no time to market which most likely means rock bottom per diems, but maybe that is a better option than ships sitting indefinitely making no money.   NCL has already canceled the entire Asia season of the recently refurbished NORWEGIAN SPIRIT and she will sail European cruises instead.  Carnival Corp. has the most at stake with the Costa brand and 4 ships already deployed full time in Asia and more on the way.  

Besides all that, the cruise industry is taking a big hit in the reputation department.  Much more bad publicity and people will be reluctant to book cruises regardless of where they sail.  We also have ports well outside Asia being ultra cautions with cruise ships.  CARIBBEAN PRINCESS was denied entry into a couple Caribbean ports due to a noro-virus outbreak and is headed back early to Fort Lauderdale.   SPIRIT OF DISCOVERY was just denied entry to Gibraltar for the same reason.  Two Caribbean ports have turned away an AIDA ship due to noro-virus being on board.  COSTA SMERALDA was detained in Rome due to some ill passengers but eventually released.  I'm not sure the ships with noro-virus cases would be turned away if it were not for all the fears of corona-virus.  The is an abundance of caution, perhaps to the extreme in some cases.

It's going to be very interesting to see how all this plays out.  Best case scenario is the virus is contained and no more lives lost.  Fingers crossed!  Even if that were to happen tomorrow I think the cruise industry in China and Asia in general is going to suffer for some time.   

Edited by eroller
  • Like 2

I would take steps to protect yourself financially.  There are no guarantees right now and when Celebrity has already cancelled all their upcoming cruises in Asia and returning to North America early, that sets a pretty big precedent.  I wish it wasn’t so, but I think flights will be reasonable this spring if things turn around.