Sun Cancellations

rudeman

Just an off hand thought - where or what area were these cruises taking place ?

The SPIRIT was in the Asian cruise market and pulled to go to Mediterranean due

to the C Virus in China - maybe the SUN is picking up some slack in that market ?

Maybe not so much in China but the Australian New Zealand market.

Perhaps a substitution of ship like what went on between the DAWN and the STAR

The STAR having scheduled maintenance in the near future to correct a engine (electrical) issue

where full operating speed was an issue. Maybe the SUN helping in this ?

Moving ships around to better meet the market needs and bypass potential medical deficient areas ?

The SUN was the ole standby regular cruise ship for the South American cruises.

Odd chance that the SUN is chartered for Spring Break ? 

OK magic 8 ball what is the answer ?

35 minutes ago, dhstache2 said:

Cancelling Jan-Apr 2021 (note 2021), do not have specific dates.. Those who hold reservations are receiving emails and will be full refunds. Also, Schedules no longer show up online for Sun Reservations for the cancelled period.

That makes more sense. The 10% credit for a cruise next week made no sense at all. 

Sun still shows one Feb cruise out of Port Canaveral. Sun is now going to be out of Seattle for Summer period (perhaps why Spirit went to Med). So, there will have to be a Transition cruise in late March / early April from Canaveral to Seattle.  Other dates could be charters, could be substitution, possibly new routes, and who knows what else the magic 8 ball may reveal. My crystal ball is still pretty cloudy.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

That makes more sense. The 10% credit for a cruise next week made no sense at all. 

did someone say it said 10% off a cruise next week?  I mentioned a future booking

My email is directed to sailings from 1/3 - 2/7/21

Edited by czimm

We received a confirmation of the refund of our cruise next deposits for our 1/3/21 southern Caribbean cruise.  I don’t see them in my NCL account yet.  I guess the ABC islands will have to wait.

How does the 10% FCC work?  Is it 10% of what we had commited to spend on the cancelled cruise or 10% off the cruise we book to replace this one (assuming we decide to rebook on NCL within 12 months).

TA website showing the SUN with 3 or 5 day Bahamas cruises and some 5 day Caribbean cruises

period from now in February to beginning of April ?

In April 5 day Bahamas cruises.

In May a Panama Canal repo to Alaska (Seattle) and then from middle of May to end of September

9 10 or 11 day cruises Alaska.

With some 17 ships in the fleet it is a nightmare to check the individual schedule of each.

Know that the China Asian ships have been relocated due to the "C" virus.

Wish NCL was a bit more direct in its plans so planning and making reservations on favorite ships

and/or destinations can be made with some degree of confidence.

9 hours ago, casofilia said:

The norm is x% of the CRUISE FARE that you paid (I suppose of the cruise fare of the cruise you booked) but it does NOT include FEES & TAXES.

If you have paid them they will return separately

Thank you for the insight. I’m anxious to see how this gets handled. We booked on a double up promotion so hope we can use 2 CN deposits on the “replacement “ cruise.  Hard to believe this is the first time we’ve had to deal with a cancelled cruise.

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Still, nobody knows why? 

Probably low interest.

A few years back, NCL announced that the Epic would cruise the Med year-round. We purposely took her last Caribbean cruise before repositioning to Europe “forever”. Those plans were scrapped when there was low interest in sailing the med in the winter, and the Epic returned to 1/2 year med / 1/2 year Caribbean. 

14 hours ago, czimm said:

did someone say it said 10% off a cruise next week?  I mentioned a future booking

My email is directed to sailings from 1/3 - 2/7/21

The OP (not you) said Feb-Apr cruises without a year we’re cancelled. 

A cancellation of a cruise next week would have had higher compensation. A cancellation of a cruise next year,,, with NCL, you’re lucky to get anything (NCL cancelled two of our cruises within the last year on 6 month notice and we got little for it). 

Edited by BirdTravels

We got a cancellation invoice for our cruise Jan 13th 2021.. no explanation so we called them, they confirmed the cruise has been pulled and we would be getting a mail in the next week or so with an explanation, they had no idea why.  They have pulled all Sun sailings between Jan and April ....good job we hadnt looked into booking flights and hotels ... downside is we have  friends from Texas who were doing a back to back on the Sun and we were joining them for the 2nd week...upside is we have plenty of time to look for something else .... right now NCL sucks 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The OP (not you) said Feb-Apr cruises without a year we’re cancelled. 

A cancellation of a cruise next week would have had higher compensation. A cancellation of a cruise next year,,, with NCL, you’re lucky to get anything (NCL cancelled two of our cruises within the last year on 6 month notice and we got little for it). 

I’m happy with the 10%; we have plenty of time to find another cruise to book.  I hope we can find a similar deal though; when we booked 12/31, we got $500 off pp on top of the available deal through groups...

Upon further review - - -

The OP left out the YEAR date 2021

The SUN refurbished spring of 2018 part of Norwegian Edge program

SUN schedule:

Last sailing 2020 5 day Western Caribbean 12/24/20

* repositioning to ?

6-7 weeks out of service ?

BIG BLANK in schedule from then until a 3 day Bahamas sailing 2/12/21

* repositioning to somewhere

8 weeks out of service ?

BIG BLANK again until resuming service April 27 2021 in Alaska

*repositioning from somewhere

An awful amount of down time for a routine dry-dock unless tearing the SUN down to its last rivet in the hull.

A GUESS - SuperBowl LV floating hotel on location at Tampa Florida - the January before the game 2/7/2021 -

BUT - the 8 weeks after ?  What's up with that ?