Silhouette's new Retreat

groryjm

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

Really surprised to read this. When we were in ports on Equinox the breeze level on the Equinox Retreat Deck was generally quite nice....The snag was the lack of shade and no water feature. It did feel pleasant but you could quickly burn. At sea the breeze was stronger but not generally so strong to blow glasses over.

It will be interesting to see how you get on in other ports.

Could you please comment on the comfort level of the sun beds, chairs, table/chair areas to snack in and confirm if the snack menu is the same as Edge/Equinox Retreat areas? Thanks!

Good comments re the wind in Aruba, however we sailed 25 days on the Edge in Oct/Nov including the transatlantic and used the retreat sundeck often.  Thanks to the design and height of the wind shields, the wind was never an issue and it was never uncomfortable sitting up there.  The Silhouette will just not be able to match this.  The furniture for the most part was similar to the Edge except for the two cabanas.  Can’t comment on the snacks as we have not eaten up there for the obvious reason.  Must say we prefer the Luminae on the Silhouette - it seems smaller and it is partitioned into two sections which really cuts down on the noise level and make conversing much easier.  There also seems to be more space between the tables which is nice.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:24 AM, sippican said:

Are you saying that you believe the suite guests were dining in the MDR?  Seems a bit farfetched since our expereince has always been that we could order off the MDR menu in Luminae.

As suite guests we hadn't eaten in Luminae since the first time we tried it when it first opened and have since chosen to eat in the MDR instead. On our cruise in October ('19) one of our roll call members convinced me that we needed to try it again. We did. On day 3 of the cruise we let the MDR know we would not be needing our table there after all. So yes, some suite guests DO prefer the MDR. For us, Luminae was too "stuffy"... too quiet... too formal. No one was laughing or seemed to be having fun. I'm glad we gave L another chance. We found it much improved. This was on the Equinox. We are booked on Summit in May and still have a table booked in the MDR at this time. We'll see how we like L and decide then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Reflection, hands down. 😎

Why do you prefer the Reflection by so much over the Silhouette?  The Sky Lounge on the Reflections is half the size of the Silhouette, due to the extra suites.  The Reflections is my second favorite S class ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drwho32 said:

Good comments re the wind in Aruba, however we sailed 25 days on the Edge in Oct/Nov including the transatlantic and used the retreat sundeck often.  Thanks to the design and height of the wind shields, the wind was never an issue and it was never uncomfortable sitting up there.  The Silhouette will just not be able to match this.  The furniture for the most part was similar to the Edge except for the two cabanas.  Can’t comment on the snacks as we have not eaten up there for the obvious reason.  Must say we prefer the Luminae on the Silhouette - it seems smaller and it is partitioned into two sections which really cuts down on the noise level and make conversing much easier.  There also seems to be more space between the tables which is nice.

Thankyou for replying! I guess there is always a compromise when a refit is done rather than an initial plan...As UK citizens we are used to wind (and rain and snow) so I guess we will cope! 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

55 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Why do you prefer the Reflection by so much over the Silhouette?  The Sky Lounge on the Reflections is half the size of the Silhouette, due to the extra suites.  The Reflections is my second favorite S class ship.

Different strokes for different folks. 😊
We've sailed Reflection 7 times. The size of the Sky lounge has never impacted our enjoyment of the ship. And we happen to like those “extra” Signature suites. 😉

The crew on Reflection have always been the best, in our opinion. Happy ship = happy crew. We've sailed Silhouette 5 times and the last 2 times were not pleasant, so we're done there. But life is good, the E-class ships are now our new favorites, with the Reflection coming in second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see they might be listening to feedback and have started incorporating a bar into the Retreat sundeck on the revolutionized ships. Hopefully Infinity and Constellation get that added when they get renovated this year. I know that Summit and Millennium did not have the bar but it looked like there was easily space for one in the dining area on the Sundeck.

On 2/16/2020 at 11:26 AM, DrKoob said:

And the caste system on Celebrity now has another victim. A huge space wear 90% of the ship can't go. Not as bad as the E class where there is not a single front-facing lounge. After 20+ cruises and Elite Plus status, another reason we are moving to Viking Ocean where everyone is treated the same. 

Go ahead...flame me Suite people.

Yes.  Not as bad as the Edge.  In my opinion the Sky Lounge is much better than the Retreat.  S class does have the Sky Lounge the Edge does not.   There is quite a bit that the Edge is missing...  Front views, side views, quiet specialty dining, etc....

The Retreat is outside and the Sky Lounge is inside.  No excuses for weather.  Weather happens...

Most of the ships that I have been on have forward looking views for everyone.  Not sure why the Edge is so so limited.  

Edited by NMTraveller

Designing the deck 16 retreat into a space inaccessible by elevator is another “Form Over Function” decision, which IMHO is a hallmark of Edge-style. 

if it’s true the suite passengers are charged for drinks at the retreat sun deck bar, that makes no sense.

I guess we’ll find out how the M class retreat works for us, but not booked on Constellation until next year when it comes to Tampa.

On 2/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, Saab4444 said:

The difference is if the few Suite people will really use it for sunbathing in the wind or if some of the 2900 guests like to go up there from time to time just to watch the scenery ahead and take pictures e.g. when you cruise into a Fjord in Norway. In the future it will be empty but not accessible for us.

Book a suite then 🙂

If people are paying a lot more, then they enjoy an area away from the crowds. 

Everyone has a choice in life - you pay more, you get more.....

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by isdoo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, isdoo said:

Book a suite then 🙂

Certainly I will not book a Suite for this reason and reward Celebrity for this decision. My choice is to book another ship who still provides nice open deck space to all guests. If I would spend that much money I would never do it on a big mass market ship with 3000 people but choose a real luxury line and a ship like Crystal Serenity, Seven Seas Splendor or Viking Ocean ships. As you say everyone has a choice in life.

20 minutes ago, isdoo said:

Book a suite then 🙂

Well this is the question that I have.  If you are going to book a suite then why not skip the suite and book a room on a luxury line?  You have better itineraries and a better experience all around.  They can get into the smaller ports and they are not as crowded.

Edited by NMTraveller

2 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Certainly I will not book a Suite for this reason and reward Celebrity for this decision. My choice is to book another ship who still provides nice open deck space to all guests. If I would spend that much money I would never do it on a big mass market ship with 3000 people but choose a real luxury line and a ship like Crystal Serenity, Seven Seas Splendor or Viking Ocean ships. As you say everyone has a choice in life.

There are not many cruiselines to chose from then. 

NCL have their Haven, MSC has their yacht club etc.....

There are always open deck areas that you can't visit.

Just like you can't visit the First Class lounge at the airport or on the plane - will that stop you flying with airlines? 

Better not take a ferry, as they often have club areas 

Forget the train as well......

In fact most forms of transport will give an area over to higher paying passengers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Well this is the question that I have.  If you are going to book a suite then why not skip the suite and book a room on a luxury line?  You have better itineraries and a better experience all around.

Not going to disagree with you there 🙂 

Some of the suite prices on major cruiselines are crazy - far better on a smaller line.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 1:22 PM, C-Dragons said:

Different strokes for different folks. 😊
We've sailed Reflection 7 times. The size of the Sky lounge has never impacted our enjoyment of the ship. And we happen to like those “extra” Signature suites. 😉

The crew on Reflection have always been the best, in our opinion. Happy ship = happy crew. We've sailed Silhouette 5 times and the last 2 times were not pleasant, so we're done there. But life is good, the E-class ships are now our new favorites, with the Reflection coming in second.

Strange how we rate the ships.  After our December Silhouette cruise the staff was so friendly that we would rank it 1st or 2 nd depending on prices on Edge.   After many Reflection cruises (14) , chosen because of great deals, we rank it the last of any Celebrity ship.  In addition to a horrible sky lounge (unless you live on the other side of the wall) that a certain CEO labeled an airport lounge, a giant rose obstructing the dance floor and a busy Michael's/ Retreat because of all the additional suites.  I just can't visualize Reflection offering anything superior to any other X ship... unless the best staff in the fleet happened to be on board.... but that changes, the design of the ship does not.  Those special suites are just not in my pricing strategy, nor for over 90% of the people who are booked in other categories.

34 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Well this is the question that I have.  If you are going to book a suite then why not skip the suite and book a room on a luxury line?  You have better itineraries and a better experience all around.  They can get into the smaller ports and they are not as crowded.

But you are not on a big ship...some of us like to enjoy a big ship but are willing to pay more for a bigger room, a few more perks and some quieter ‘club’ areas...our choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

😂😂😂 what a hilarious think to say and I feel there is no bitter in this comment! 🤣

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

But you are not on a big ship...some of us like to enjoy a big ship but are willing to pay more for a bigger room, a few more perks and some quieter ‘club’ areas...our choice.

Ahhhhh....

What do you find appealing about the big ship?  I understand the ship within a ship concept.  AKA small ship feel.  More intimate and not as crowded.  Why not book the smaller ship from the start?

Just wondering...  I realize that everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Edited by NMTraveller

Just now, NMTraveller said:

Ahhhhh....

What do you find appealing about the big ship?  I understand the ship within a ship concept.  AKA small ship feel.  More intimate and not as crowded.  Why not book the smaller ship from the start?

We  love to be able to explore a big ship with lots of restaurants and bars...join in the activities we want to and retreat to our pleasant cabin or Retreat lounge if we want a quieter experience. We don’t want to cruise a small ship....We are old enough to know that each vacation is a gift....and young enough to choose what suites us

All of us have the right to choose how to spend our holiday cash...I would not dream of telling you how to spend yours....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We  love to be able to explore a big ship with lots of restaurants and bars...join in the activities we want to and retreat to our pleasant cabin or Retreat lounge if we want a quieter experience. We don’t want to cruise a small ship....We are old enough to know that each vacation is a gift....and young enough to choose what suites us

All of us have the right to choose how to spend our holiday cash...I would not dream of telling you how to spend yours....

Exactly!!

3 hours ago, isdoo said:

Book a suite then 🙂

Why is this the case?

up until there changes booking a suite meant getting a suite not a suite plus a greater portion of public space.

Someone tried to use the analogy of flying but this doesn’t work as on a flight you get a better seat not access to more public space.

We don’t book suites on main lines we prefer to treat ourselves by sailing on the luxury lines instead, none of those lines have restricted public areas for their upper suites. This is only a phenomenon on some of the main lines.

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I don’t understand it myself, the majority of our cruises are on the main lines (we are elite on X and equivalent on ncl). When we want to treat ourselves we sail the luxury lines (have tried Azamara, Viking, Seabourn, Regent and Crystal), now on Aza and Crystal basic cabins are very small so if cabin is important I could understand why some want a suite on a large ship but a standard on Regent and Seabourn are better than the suites I have seen on X. 
You lose the big ship entertainment but the service, quality of food and beverage rises substantially.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, teamflames said:

I don’t understand it myself, the majority of our cruises are on the main lines (we are elite on X and equivalent on ncl). When we want to treat ourselves we sail the luxury lines (have tried Azamara, Viking, Seabourn, Regent and Crystal), now on Aza and Crystal basic cabins are very small so if cabin is important I could understand why some want a suite on a large ship but a standard on Regent and Seabourn are better than the suites I have seen on X. 
You lose the big ship entertainment but the service, quality of food and beverage rises substantially.

Again all about personal choice....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Well this is the question I have. Why bother wasting everyone's tine whining on the Celebrity board, if there are better choices for your money?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Again all about personal choice....

Oh absolutely, I can’t speak for the other poster but I was genuinely looking for discussion on the differences. No judgement on my behalf, I was just sharing how we think about it. I am interested in those who like suites on large lines and why? Sorry if people took offence.

I do disagree with the increasing amount of cordoned off areas as I think it could create an “us and them” mentality between customers and could lead crew to also treating customers differently. 
My personal view is that service levels should remain consistent in public spaces.