Princess wont refund me for cancelled trip

Veerraj

2 hours ago, Veerraj said:

I am here, I didnt run away. I just returned from finishing 2 shifts. I work double shifts as I am a single income earner of a family of 6. I sincerely hope that Princess does refund me. I mean I worked double shifts to be able to book this trip for my family and I dont know about others of you on this forum but living pay cheque to pay cheque isnt easy. It took me 4 years to save up for this trip. I hope you guys can understand the distress this has been for me. I have lost money in hotel cancellation as well. Saving every penny has been difficult. If I had the luxury to afford for travel cancallation insurance I would have but if you look at my situation, things dont come easy. When you are the single income earner, you try and save every penny.  I hope you guys on this forum as well as Princess Crusies.

Ask yourself:  so, if you don't buy travel insurance,  what's your plan if something happens?

My philosophy:  if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the trip...

• Like 13

Actually I am sorry you are going through this. It is regrettable that everyone is going through this -- some more than others with still resolving compensation packages, quarantines on top of quarantine, feeling abandoned on ships that don't show up, being denied boarding because flights took a particular route, missed cruises that were carefully planned out, extremely long work hours to cover unforeseen workloads (crew & shore based). IMHO it's unfortunate all around 

49 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Actually you're the one who needs travel insurance more than those who can easily afford it. I always get it. I learned from our parents how valuable it can be. My mother-in-law had to be hospitalized in Greece while on a Mediterranean cruise from Istanbul. She spent several nights in the hospital. The insurance company covered her hospital bills, my father-in-law's hotel bill, the changes to their flights home, even hiring a nurse to accompany them on a flight to monitor her. They later received compensation for the days of the cruise they missed. 

Tough to say, but there is a lot of truth in that. If you can't afford to self insure a luxury, you probably shouldn't do it without insurance. That's a gamble you will not always win. Cancellation insurance really isn't that expensive unless you are loaded up with risk factors. It's generally more economical to use a 3rd party than the company provided optional insurance.  Same reason I have collision insurance on our cars.

That said, glad it sounds like the OP is going to make out OK with this.

• Like 1

In my personal opinion, not budgeting for and buying travel insurance and then self-cancelling and complaining about not getting anything back is like: not getting vaccinated against the flu and then deliberately catching it then complaining about lingering effects... 🙄

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

After reading all these posts, I fail to see very little that is positive and helps anybody reading them. Have we as people forgotten compassion and replaced it with negative, elitism comments? You can and should express your opinion, but do it with some sympathy for those that this virus is affecting. Let’s try a little less to “attack” and a little more to help people find an equitable solution. Perhaps more people would read and post things, if they didn’t feel like they were being attacked.

I will get off my soapbox now.

Thank you

• Like 13

14 hours ago, KikiKruiser said:

Ask yourself:  so, if you don't buy travel insurance,  what's your plan if something happens?

My philosophy:  if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the trip...

Must disagree. I have taken over 40 cruises over the last 30 years and never taken out insurance. Saved thousands of dollars and if I have a need to cancel generally know it months before the cruise

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

Must disagree. I have taken over 40 cruises over the last 30 years and never taken out insurance. Saved thousands of dollars and if I have a need to cancel generally know it months before the cruise

You may have saved thousands, but have you saved them away to self insure?

In 2017 the DW broke her ankle 3 weeks before we left for our trip. Per your recommendation, we would have lost over 23K. Not sure we could have forecasted that one before final payment. Apparently you can (glass ball?).

In 2013, a pasenger on a land tour prior to our cruise fell and broke a hip. All said it cost over 42K to get home.

Have you saved enough or do you have a credit card with enough limit? Consider yourself lucky, so far!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

Can you afford to get stranded in a foreign country? Doesn't sound like the OP can.

• Like 2

Buying insurance is certainly a personal choice.  If we're cruising overseas it's a no brainer for us to insure the entire trip.

That being said... We have a California Coastal cruise coming up.  Are we insuring it?  Nope.  We're from the Seattle area. The cruise goes from L.A. to Vancouver.  The cruise was paid for from the Future Cruise Credit we received from our cancelled Japan cruise. I feel the risk of something happening is in the acceptable range for us.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

You may have saved thousands, but have you saved them away to self insure?

In 2017 the DW broke her ankle 3 weeks before we left for our trip. Per your recommendation, we would have lost over 23K. Not sure we could have forecasted that one before final payment. Apparently you can (glass ball?).

In 2013, a pasenger on a land tour prior to our cruise fell and broke a hip. All said it cost over 42K to get home.

Have you saved enough or do you have a credit card with enough limit? Consider yourself lucky, so far!

1. I have cruised on crutches before and right after surgery   Was there some things I couldn’t do sure but still enjoyed the cruise.        

2. What flight costs $42 K ?  I have  flown commercially with busted ribs. Not fun but no big deal

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, memoak said:

1. I have cruised on crutches before and right after surgery   Was there some things I couldn’t do sure but still enjoyed the cruise.        

2. What flight costs $42 K ?  I have  flown commercially with busted ribs. Not fun but no big deal

A broken hip would most likely require a medical transport not a commercial flight. 

• Like 1

Once I have made final payment I consider the money gone. If I can get some refunded fine otherwise let life roll on. We cruise in full suites for 16 days with grats , WiFi and drink package paid for and only pay $10,000. Don’t think I would ever spend $2OK plus on any vacation

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, memoak said:

The DW's break required surgery 10 screws and 2 plates) after the swelling went down which took 10 days. She was very lucky in that there was an orthopedic surgeon at the remote ER that set the ankle in a cast good enough that her doctor did not have to reset the position.  Recovery took over 2 months with absolutely no travel per the orthopedic surgeon. Too painful (10 Norco a day for two days and then finally tapering off) to go on crutches. After 4 weeks, she could move a bit on a knee rover. But hey, no big deal!

As for the Hip, to get home the lady was required to have two attendants and had to buy several the seats to for removal so she could lay down, all in first class.

So:

2 round trips first class bought at the last minute for the attendants. Europe to USA

4 to 6 seats for the area of the bed one way. Also bought at the last minute

Wages for the attendants from the time they left to the time they returned.

Over night hotel rooms for the two attendants in the USA.

Hospital stay including surgery. Outside of the USA and person was on Medicare so had to pay in full.

Only 42K what a bargain!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

Once I have made final payment I consider the money gone. If I can get some refunded fine otherwise let life roll on. We cruise in full suites for 16 days with grats , WiFi and drink package paid for and only pay $10,000. Don’t think I would ever spend $2OK plus on any vacation

On 2/17/2020 at 9:08 PM, Veerraj said:

Will never sail with them again. Our cruise is scheduled in March. In light of the coronavirus, I requested a refund/ future credit to cancel my trip. This is a huge cruise company yet when it comes to a global crisis like the spread of the virus, the company is money minded. Instead of taking precautions to cancel future sailings while the outbreak is in effect, they rip customers off by not refunding and customers are forced to cancel at their own cost. Customers are cancelling without a refund as a precaution to help stop the virus from spreading further. Yet this company is focussed on generating revenue at the cost of well being of its customers and the world in general. The diamond princess belonging to this same company is stuck holding coronavirus infected customers. How does it expect future sailings to happen as planned. Where is social responsibility?

The agent for Princess cruises told me numerous times that my only option is to cancel the trip and receive 50 percent refund. As sailing was 1 month away, I had no choice but to cancel the trip on Feb 12 2020. 2 days later Princess announced that they would be cancelling this sailing. When I contacted Princess about the other 50 percent refund, they have refused to respond to me. I think it is only fair if they refund my remaining 50 percent as the ship wont be sailing anyway on March 12th out of Singapore.

If I do not receive the remaining 50 percent as a consumer I will take this further as this is not fair and I urge other customers who cancelled their trip due to the virus to fight for a full refund.

Did something change?

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Nope never have

I recently purchased what I believe is a reasonable deal on an annual interruption, cancellation, blah blah blah plan.  But there is a reason they call it disposable income.  Buying a cruise is essentially throwing your money into the drink.   Whether you choose to insure it is a personal choice, there is no right or wrong answer. 

2 hours ago, memoak said:

One night before we were due to leave on a vacation my husband had a heart attack...coded (dead) for twelve minutes. He spent another ten days in the hospital, seven of those in the ICU. Luckily after getting stents put in, he has made what the medical staff called a full miraculous recovery. Thank goodness for trip insurance. We do NOT travel without it now, as we can't predict those events.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, memoak said:

The main reason we feel travel insurance is necessary is to cover the cost of an accident or illness while on the trip and, worst of all, the need for medical evacuation.

We are able to use a 'free' travel insurance that comes with our credit card. We have to pay at least $250 of the cost of the trip on the card. If we have to claim, we have to pay the first $200. This type of insurance is available in Australia, but may not be available in other countries.

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Umm ummm. I am obviously on the other side. I can afford 10k a year but that's on 4 cruises not 1. As a solo I need CFAR insurance and often use Platinum Princess as I get it upped as an elite benefit.  

I do understand OPs frustration but I've 'heard' and read that Princess will send those who canceled after January 20th a compensation pkg. 

OP if your TA isn't refunding the balance please contact Princess:

-> We will provide complete details to all guests booked on impacted voyages via email, Cruise Personalizer, or their travel advisor.

Also: Screenshot_20200219-160245_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e211a428baa50f7823cba9c346fb4b2b.jpg

• Like 1