Do the smaller ships give you a smaller experience?

pthjudy

Interesting question. We have sailed on both and like both. The perceived pluses and minuses of each vary according to ones likes. Not sure there is a “scientific” answer. That said, the Terrace cafe seems too big on the large ships. But we look forward to sail on both. 
PS we have sailed 12 times with O. 

Due to fewer people & staff one has a closer interaction with both - a positive IMO. Much nicer library but smaller Terrace with fewer options and overcrowded at certain times.

Smaller BRs in most cabin categories.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

You could add fewer options for "entertainment" -- I don't mean theatrical entertainment but rather you don't have things like La Reserve or Privee, the cooking classes, the handicraft area -- I'm blanking on the real name since I've not taken advantage of its offerings myself.  Perhaps more lecturers?  I'm not sure about that ... it hasn't seemed to me that there are fewer on the smaller ships but I suppose it is possible.

We sailed on the Riviera several times but our last cruise was on Insignia.  The ship was beautiful and we had a great time.   BUT - we really missed having two more specialty restaurants.  This is a real consideration for us because dressing up and going out to so many different venues for dinner  is a treat for us.  I missed the cooking classes and the executive lounge.  Our PH was smaller although I liked the layout better.  I’m not a fan of the table and chairs at the foot of the bed.  The separate table works so much better for meals.

We got a great deal on Insignia because of the Cuba cancellations but in the future I’ll stick to the larger ships.  

33 minutes ago, Roccaforte said:

We sailed on the Riviera several times but our last cruise was on Insignia.  The ship was beautiful and we had a great time.   BUT - we really missed having two more specialty restaurants.  This is a real consideration for us because dressing up and going out to so many different venues for dinner  is a treat for us.  I missed the cooking classes and the executive lounge.  Our PH was smaller although I liked the layout better.  I’m not a fan of the table and chairs at the foot of the bed.  The separate table works so much better for meals.

We got a great deal on Insignia because of the Cuba cancellations but in the future I’ll stick to the larger ships.  

Thank you for all the responses. We do love the specialties and the larger ships are beautiful. Itinerary is important and the one I’m looking at includes Iceland and Greenland which is not the most common ports. My husband says I’m his travel agent so I’ll have to decide. 😄 

Due to the Asian season being cancelled, we will not get to see if more sea days are harder on the R ships with no cooking classes, etc but for 10 or 12 days, the R ships are fine and as said friendlier because of the smaller numbers. I would do either depending on the itinerary.  The negatives (on R ships) are crowding in Terrace cafe at popular times and smaller cabins which are a no for some people.  OTOH, the smaller ships can do some ports that larger ships must tender to or cannot do at all.  I admit to missing Red Ginger.  We will be on a short Riviera cruise next and I am anxious to compare it with the R ship cruise on Nautica that I loved enough to book another since it has been a few years since we were on an O ship.

2 hours ago, Mura said:

You could add fewer options for "entertainment" -- I don't mean theatrical entertainment but rather you don't have things like La Reserve or Privee, the cooking classes, the handicraft area -- I'm blanking on the real name since I've not taken advantage of its offerings myself.  Perhaps more lecturers?  I'm not sure about that ... it hasn't seemed to me that there are fewer on the smaller ships but I suppose it is possible.

Artist Loft maybe? 

I think a lot of depends on the person and their expectations. Over the years I've seen people here that prefer the smaller, people that prefer the larger. To the point that they will only cruise on one or the other exclusively. 

I have cruised both multiple times and like both sizes. It's important to know what you're getting into though. As long as you know that a bathroom in anything smaller than a PH will be real small and tight and you're ok with it the rest will be fine. 

As someone else mentioned, if they are both going on similar itineraries I'll choose the O ships every time. Having said that one of my favorite Oceania cruises, Papeete to San Francisco, was on the Regatta. It's all good. 

• Like 1

We are in the same ‘boat’, except are past the contemplating stage since we must get back to Australia.  Will book the Regatta Sydney round trip on Wednesday.  We’ve sailed Riviera and Marina, and really love Baristas and the Illy Frozen Cremas.  I see on Regatta the coffee bar is part of the GDR bar, how does it compare?

15 minutes ago, catsngoats said:

We are in the same ‘boat’, except are past the contemplating stage since we must get back to Australia.  Will book the Regatta Sydney round trip on Wednesday.  We’ve sailed Riviera and Marina, and really love Baristas and the Illy Frozen Cremas.  I see on Regatta the coffee bar is part of the GDR bar, how does it compare?

There is  no view like on the O class ships

Coffee tastes the same though 😉

Our last cruise was on the Riviera for a transatlantic crossing so we loved the larger ship and it’s amenities during the sea days. We are currently on the Sirena (R ship) but as it’s more port intensive, we don’t really miss the extra speciality restaurants and the entertainment options that Mura mentions. Smaller bathroom is a negative but how much time do you really spend there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4 minutes ago, Mura said:

I thought I WAS talking about Marina/Riviera ... maybe I wasn't clear.

I think Dan was pointing out that there is an Artist Loft on Insignia, they put it there for the first RTW in a corner of Horizons. 

Just to add another relatively similar comment, we like both sizes of ships, and each has their own qualities.  Though I don't think there is much difference in the A or B cabins, other than a slightly smaller bathroom, when you get to the PH level there is a more marked difference.  The PHs on the O ships are more spacious, and the closet on the O ships is huge compared to the R ships.  The cooking classes are great, so that can be important.  We will be on SIRENA in October, so we will see how they have changed the restaurant offerings to be a bit more like the O class ships.  At the same time, the R class ships are much more intimate, and you will get to recognize everyone by the end of the cruise.  In St. Petersburg, REGATTA sailed right up the river and docked right across from the Hermitage.  I don't know if the O class ships can do that.  Many spaces are smaller on the R ships, but with a passenger load of only half of the O class, they don't need as much space. 

There are advantages to the O class ships, but the R class ships are wonderful too.  But then, most people have already said that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4Lakes Lady said:

Our last cruise was on the Riviera for a transatlantic crossing so we loved the larger ship and it’s amenities during the sea days. We are currently on the Sirena (R ship) but as it’s more port intensive, we don’t really miss the extra speciality restaurants and the entertainment options that Mura mentions. Smaller bathroom is a negative but how much time do you really spend there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Hopefully very little 😀

Trust me. Being a lady with longish hair and traveling 30 days near or below the equator on Nautica, there was a LOT of time spent in the bathroom. Looking forward to seeing the changes when next on Sirena (door vs curtain) but now know to shower in the spa as well on our next 24 day tropical cruise.

That being said, we love the intimacy of the R ships - our first being Insignia in 2005, but enjoy the dinning venues on the bigger ships.

13 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

Trust me. Being a lady with longish hair and traveling 30 days near or below the equator on Nautica, there was a LOT of time spent in the bathroom.

I guess I should be happy I have very little hair left? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1