Princess Grill Dining and Tables for 2

resordanis

Hi all,

About to cruise in Princess Grill for the first time.Just wondering is the food similar to Brittania dining and is it difficult to obtain a table for 2. My husband suffers from a major hearing problem and we cannot dine on large tables.

Thanks in advance.

20 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Hi all,

About to cruise in Princess Grill for the first time.Just wondering is the food similar to Brittania dining and is it difficult to obtain a table for 2. My husband suffers from a major hearing problem and we cannot dine on large tables.

Thanks in advance.

Food is on a different level.  Flambé etc.  Off Menu etc.

With regard to the table, it is usual for the Grill's Concierge or the MD will contact you prior to boarding to facilitate your preferences.  

5 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

With regard to the table, it is usual for the Grill's Concierge or the MD will contact you prior to boarding to facilitate your preferences.  

In well over 20 trips in QG, nobody has ever contacted me before boarding and I've never heard of anyone else being contacted.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

In well over 20 trips in QG, nobody has ever contacted me before boarding and I've never heard of anyone else being contacted.

Sorry, thought this was a standard procedure for all Grills.

It would appear we may have been privileged, for some specific reasons.

1 hour ago, resordanis said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

You can indicate your preference for table size in ‘My Cunard’ or let your travel agent know your preference and she can make sure it’s in the system. Alternatively, you could ring Cunard in Australia and let them know that way. The maitre d’ in the Princess Grills dining room will be very helpful, as usual - most of the tables are for two. I don’t think there’ll be any problem for you at all.

1 hour ago, resistk said:

Just go to lunch at the PG when you embark and check out your table, if not to your liking have a word with maitre and it will evetually get sorted out.

That's exactly what we do.  There's lots of tables for two and if you're lucky, you can score a window table.  The maitre de in the grills is always excellent!  We sometimes go to see him/her before lunch.

We usually travel Princess Grill.  We ask our TA to pre-arrange a table for 2 which usually works out.  There are a lot of 2-tops in PG.  One time we got seated at a big table, we asked for a change with the PG maitre 'd on the first day and it was arranged right away.  

You also asked about the food in PG.  A different menu than in Britannia, somewhat more fancy, but not much opportunity to order off-menu, which is a feature in Queen's Grill.

The Grills restaurants on QE and QV (QG and PG) have mainly tables for 2, you should get one easily.  In QG the "sharing" tables are limited to two tables of 8 one by the entrance which we liked and one stuck in a corner which meant half the people faced  wall, which we didn't like, it looks similiar in PG. We have changed to tables for 2, if you get one with tables either side , a foot or so away,  you often talk to neighbours. 

39 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The Grills restaurants on QE and QV (QG and PG) have mainly tables for 2, you should get one easily.  In QG the "sharing" tables are limited to two tables of 8 one by the entrance which we liked and one stuck in a corner which meant half the people faced  wall, which we didn't like, it looks similiar in PG. We have changed to tables for 2, if you get one with tables either side , a foot or so away,  you often talk to neighbours. 

I think the number of large tables may vary with demand. I have certainly seen a couple of tables for six as well as the eights. And one time, for a large family group, the table in the entrance had eleven.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I think the number of large tables may vary with demand. I have certainly seen a couple of tables for six as well as the eights. And one time, for a large family group, the table in the entrance had eleven.

Think this was the same family for who had the QE ship's carpenters join two tables together.  For which he paid handsomely.  The QE still hold the formers/adjusters in store, just in case another large family requests a huge table.  Possibly to charge again?

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think this was the same family for who had the QE ship's carpenters join two tables together.  For which he paid handsomely.  The QE still hold the formers/adjusters in store, just in case another large family requests a huge table.  Possibly to charge again?

I doubt it. The person in charge of the group was female.

Hi, 

I like the information in this thread. I have sailed with Cunard many times, but never in a Queens or Princess Grill stateroom. I am booked in a Queens Grill stateroom (category Q6) on the Queen Elizabeth's recently added thee-night Pacific Coastal cruise that departs from San Francisco on May 30, 2020. Because the prices for this cruise are incredibly reasonable, I decided that it would be a great time to try the Queens Grill. I am traveling with a friend (who also booked a category Q6 stateroom). I enjoy meeting other people, but I realize that people may arrive for meals at different times. Do you recommend that we request a table for two or a larger table? Also, is the Queens Grill usually also open for breakfast and lunch on sea days? Because this a rare treat, I would like to have as many meals in the Queens Grill as possible.

On past trips, I have always greatly enjoyed afternoon tea in the Queens Room. How does tea for the Grill passengers compare? Obviously, it is held in a much smaller space.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

14 hours ago, exlondoner said:

By sharing tables I was talking about tables for people who don't know each other to share, which is what the OP was asking about. Of course there will be tables for family  groups and friends of 4 , 6 or more to share, these will always be accommodated never mind how big

But if you are a couple who want to share with others, there are no tables for example for 6 , just the two big tables for 8, this is where you will be put first only if more than 16 people want to share will they create more sharing tables. One of these tables for 8 is not that nice, it's a gamble. 

30 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

By sharing tables I was talking about tables for people who don't know each other to share, which is what the OP was asking about. Of course there will be tables for family  groups and friends of 4 , 6 or more to share, these will always be accommodated never mind how big

But if you are a couple who want to share with others, there are no tables for example for 6 , just the two big tables for 8, this is where you will be put first only if more than 16 people want to share will they create more sharing tables. One of these tables for 8 is not that nice, it's a gamble. 

I actually like the group table you describe as 'not that nice' if it's the same one mentioned above somewhere as being inferior. I like the way it is in a more secluded alcove and not in the 'walk-way' as it were. I would always prefer this table to the one in the entrance way. I realise some people prefer to be more 'visible' and sit in the middle of the restaurant but there are those of us who prefer a quieter, more peaceful location. I dare say I'll be put at the alcove table next time I travel - at least I'll now know it's considered inferior! 

38 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

As mentioned above, the table size can be adjusted. We've been on a table of 6 in QG on Queen Victoria.

As I said earlier the problem with the alcove table for us was that half the seats are facing the wall. This actually made some on our table queasy in rough weather , no horizon to look at. Two of the seats looking out look at a serving station. We like the seclusion of this table but not the other aspects.

24 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

As mentioned above, the table size can be adjusted. We've been on a table of 6 in QG on Queen Victoria.

Host Hattie, was that table of 6 with friends or with other travellers you didn't know who wanted to share. Whenever we've asked for 6 have been put on one of the 8's