CCL stock dips below 40

Farts

5 hours ago, Lil2Angelic said:

I've been trying for 3 days now to transfer money from my bank into my securities account and have been unsuccessful. Just curious if anybody else having this problem?

Fidelity answers with a real person, excellent customer service

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, coevan said:

I would not invest in a company that is not operating with no cash flow. That's my opinion. 

i know i just bought 100 shares last night, wondering if i should of waited until after the 27th when they cancel more cruises :(

oh well we will see

If the cruise lines do get a bailout, what's the chances the nation forces them to flag their ships in the US? I would say that would be reasonable frankly. Just spitballing here, no insider info on anything.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, coevan said:

I would not invest in a company that is not operating with no cash flow. That's my opinion. 

No cash flow, like the hundreds of thousands of people with bookings already, money that they have collected. There are bookings out like a year and a half. Big business have no problem borrowing money in times like this. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mz-s said:

If the cruise lines do get a bailout, what's the chances the nation forces them to flag their ships in the US? I would say that would be reasonable frankly. Just spitballing here, no insider info on anything.

I think your close.  I don't think they will be required to re-flag, but the fact that they basically don't hardly have any US employees, and skate on US Taxes.   Is going to be a big sore point for them getting a bail out.    I mentioned this before, but somebody decided to erase my message.  Imagine that..

7 minutes ago, nhraformula00 said:

No cash flow, like the hundreds of thousands of people with bookings already, money that they have collected. There are bookings out like a year and a half. Big business have no problem borrowing money in times like this. 

They have quite a huge credit line, and pulled 2.7 billion out of 3 billion.  They say they can go back to the well for more.    Good thing is that should keep them out of bankruptcy.   Bad thing, is it will damage their books significantly for probably 3 to 4 years.     

They are included in the bill. You can find it online. Investment sites say that CCL is in the best place financially among the cruise lines fwiw.  Wish I had scooped up some stock when it was $9, but it took me a day to transfer money into my investment account. It closed at $15 and some change today. Got up to $16 before news that the bill was delayed another day.

• Like 1

For those of you having trouble transferring, I use Wells Fargo for all of my personal and business checking, savings, and investment accounts.  I can transfer from checking or savings online to investment anywhere from immediate to next day...usually next day.  Super easy.  I get charged nothing for trades.

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 11:27 AM, milamber said:

Amazed that a small potential income and a bit of positive PR from the offer to use ships as temporary hospitals boosted stock by almost 38% at one point today. It's hardly a lifeline for Carnival. I'd be amazed if any of the cruise lines sailed again this year on any meaningful basis. Even it if clears up over the next few months to a large extent, there are going to be plenty of countries who have avoided the worst who won't want the risk of cruise ships or indeed any other visitors bringing it into the country. 

Only thing likely to affect that in any meaningful way is a faster than expected vaccine, which is possible. Even with that, many of the customers for the mass market lines might have lost jobs/had reduced income over the virus period and a cruise isn't going to be a priority for them. Add that to the negative PR generated by the Diamond Princess, plus the general impression thrown out by the media that cruise ships are breeding grounds for disease and I think the industry is in for a torrid time. If it survives at all that is.

I hope I'm wrong as a past passenger who loves cruising, but I wouldn't be throwing my money at any stock just now, regardless of how cheap it goes.

I think it would surprise you how many people are still booking. Prior to the cruise line being shut down, my local media station (out of Houston) was interviewing people getting on the Vista and Magic out of Galveston.  The port was just as busy as ever.   In one of the Carnival Facebook groups with thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of posters, there was a thread about how people were planning to use their stimulus check to book another cruise.  I have been checking my June 19th Fjord cruise for a 4 person grand suite (to take my kids) for some time to open up and they are all booked. In fact, surprisingly few people have canceled. Even the June 3rd 16 day TA out of NYC is booked solid for ALL suites.  Only think available is balconies, and they are not even good ones.  Been looking at bookings for Europe bookings on the Legend for next summer and a couple of months ago I had my pick of what I wanted. Now they are almost all gone...my best guess is people who got canceled for March and April are using their FCC for summer 2021.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coevan said:

Well... there are many that operate this way.  Cable operators have always operated this way, even before the decline in subscriptions.  I'm sure there are many others.

I thought cruise ships weren’t allowed to be flagged in the U.S. unless they were built in the U.S.

It would sure increase the price of a cruise having to abide by U.S. laws like paying the staff at least minimum wage.

The crew has to be mostly U.S. workers. Good luck trying to get that many people from U.S. to fill all those jobs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 2

Booking a future cruise right now is a bargain just like buying stock when it is low. My son has a cruise booked for 2 on the Panarama in September ( 7 day ) of this year for a total under $1,000 taxes and insurance included. As long as things gets better of course.

Good Morning Everybody! As I said in an earlier post, I am a newbie to the stock market and I just want to say "thank you so much" for everyone's input in this thread.  I feel like this stuff should be required teaching in high schools...at least the basics.

49 minutes ago, Lil2Angelic said:

Good Morning Everybody! As I said in an earlier post, I am a newbie to the stock market and I just want to say "thank you so much" for everyone's input in this thread.  I feel like this stuff should be required teaching in high schools...at least the basics.

Hopefully you made a couple of Dollars from this basic tutorial. 😃

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elbozi said:

I was able to get funds transferred into Robinhood brokerage in under 24 hours.    Stock looks like a rocket ship right now, looks like we might see $20 today.

Going big...

Bought 5 at 09.00, 5 at 11.00, 10 at 12, 10 at 13.30......,  Thinking of another 10 but DW says no.....  looking to take some profit, or not today...

Agree to good to miss....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I thought cruise ships weren’t allowed to be flagged in the U.S. unless they were built in the U.S

no, my sailboat was built in France and flagged by USCG. There are many French and Italian boats in the U.S.

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I thought cruise ships weren’t allowed to be flagged in the U.S. unless they were built in the U.S.

It would sure increase the price of a cruise having to abide by U.S. laws like paying the staff at least minimum wage.

The crew has to be mostly U.S. workers. Good luck trying to get that many people from U.S. to fill all those jobs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is true, the ship must be built in the US to be flagged in the US (well not totally, the Pride of America wasn't totally built in the US but is flagged in the US). I think the lines required to employ US workers is exactly the point in my scenario. They just announced over 3M jobless claims the other day - I'm sure plenty of those would accept a job on a cruise ship given the option.

I'm just not sure the US would be willing to bail out the cruise lines when they employ so few Americans, and especially since they are not an essential industry like the airline industry is.

However, it may not be necessary. We will see. Who knows how much it's costing the lines to idle right now, and how slow bookings will be once they begin sailing again.

Edited by mz-s

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, I would have never thought to buy CCL stock before reading this thread.  I'm not much of a gambler, but I decided to dip my toe into the market last week and bought 700 shares of Carnival at $8.00 and then pulled that toe back out today at $19.00. Not a bad little profit this week, although I'm sure Uncle Sam will grab me by the short-hairs next year.  I think we're going to see another downward trend, so I figured I'd get out while the gettin was good. If it dips back into the single digits again, I'll jump back into the pool...  Thanks again!

• Like 2