VIRUS: Any Proactive Suggestions?

Nangelina

On 2/24/2020 at 6:11 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Yeah, whenever I hear about a motorcycle accident from one of those never-bikers I always reply with the latest car accident report and ask if they've quit driving their car.

Live to ride and ride to live. Ever see a Harley parked outside a psychiatrist's office?

Convertibles are more civilized

20200226_174559.thumb.jpg.4370c8acb0e2f42b57bcff77859623ef.jpg

In my opinion

20200226_174711.thumb.jpg.fda40a9dc8635b12cfe875c919c5b5bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

I think with all the discussion about masks on the news over the last few weeks, we know they are effective for the person who has the virus, to keep them from spreading it.  Unless you have a properly fit N95 mask, wearing anything else is a false sense of security.

I am flying on Sunday from Toronto to Miami. I will not be wearing a mask (although I DO have a properly fit N95 which will remain tucked away in my carry on).

That’s what I was referring to N95 respirator mask and yes probably fit is key

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 2:11 PM, Kevin's girl said:

As the OP stated, the increase of awareness is not just the Corona virus but for viruses in general. This is the flu season. We had a severe outbreak of influenza on the Caribbean Princess during our British Isles cruise. They failed to notify passengers of the outbreak until 4 days after they had run out of Tamiflu and reported cases were still coming into the on board Medical Dept. There were, according to the letter they eventually sent out more than 1,000 passengers effected. 

Don't forget the masks as they will be good for the possible influenza especially if you are an immune risk. Noro or the old fashion stomach flu washing your hands often, Purell wipes or liquid and Lysol and or Clorox (read the label for Noro inclusion) for your cabin. I know they clean your cabin, but have you ever looked at the housekeeping cart? Lots of shared  cleaning utensils. Yuck!!

This is from the CDC:

The following can help prevent a person from catching or spreading the flu:

• limiting contact with sick people
  • staying home when ill
  • covering the nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing
  • washing the hands often
  • disinfecting surfaces that may contain flu germs
  • avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth
  • wearing a mask when leaving the house

The best method of prevention is to receive a flu vaccination every year. The flu vaccine can come as an injection or a nasal spray.

Just a note:  I'm looking at the Lysol wipes container.  It says it kills "human coronavirus."  I don't see Noro, though, but it does say "Respiratory Syncytial Virus."  It also says you have to allow the surface to stay wet for 4 minutes and allow it to air-dry in order to disinfect the surface.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

I think with all the discussion about masks on the news over the last few weeks, we know they are effective for the person who has the virus, to keep them from spreading it.  Unless you have a properly fit N95 mask, wearing anything else is a false sense of security.

I am flying on Sunday from Toronto to Miami. I will not be wearing a mask (although I DO have a properly fit N95 which will remain tucked away in my carry on).

Enjoy your trip ckrobyn!. We've got the storm coming in tonight/tomorrow all day (if we get it). Who'd think we'd be adding N95 or other to our packing lists.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pstreet12 said:

Just a note:  I'm looking at the Lysol wipes container.  It says it kills "human coronavirus."  I don't see Noro, though, but it does say "Respiratory Syncytial Virus."  It also says you have to allow the surface to stay wet for 4 minutes and allow it to air-dry in order to disinfect the surface.

The coronavirus noted is NOT Covid-19, the novel corona virus spreading now.  They're just hoping it's similar enough to react the same - but as far as I know, no one knows enough.  So, Lysol probably a good general idea, but we do not know its effect on Covid-19.

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, jaspercat said:

Enjoy your trip ckrobyn!. We've got the storm coming in tonight/tomorrow all day (if we get it). Who'd think we'd be adding N95 or other to our packing lists.

Thanks 🙂 You're right about the N95,  not what I wanted on my packing list now or ever.

3 hours ago, Pstreet12 said:

This is the Lysol spray I Buy:

Lysol® Disinfectant Spray To Go®

I do spray it on the surfaces I want to be sure are disinfected and walk away allowing it to dry on it's own. If it is drying to fast I spray again. We have been on a ship with a large Noro outbreak (our table mates) and had to be cleared by Medical so I'm not just paranoid. I am careful.

To Disinfect:

Surfaces must remain wet for 3 minutes then allow to air dry.
For Norovirus surfaces must remain wet for 10 minutes then allow to air dry
Rinse toys and food contact surfaces with potable water after use

To Disinfect:

Rinse toys and food contact surfaces with potable water after use.

5 minutes ago, Kevin's girl said:

This is the Lysol spray I Buy:

Lysol® Disinfectant Spray To Go®

I do spray it on the surfaces I want to be sure are disinfected and walk away allowing it to dry on it's own. If it is drying to fast I spray again. We have been on a ship with a large Noro outbreak (our table mates) and had to be cleared by Medical so I'm not just paranoid. I am careful.

To Disinfect:

Rinse toys and food contact surfaces with potable water after use

To Disinfect:

Rinse toys and food contact surfaces with potable water after use.

Same Lysol spray I bring on all my cruises including this Sunday 🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Convertibles are more civilized

20200226_174559.thumb.jpg.4370c8acb0e2f42b57bcff77859623ef.jpg

Anyone wearing flip flops, shorts and no helmet while riding a motorcycle has bigger issues and problems than being caught in the rain while riding. 🙄

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Pstreet12 said:

We have N95 masks--but our only clue on fitting is what is says on the box.  I guess we just have to hope that's enough.

From the CDC guide on how to wear masks for those  with beards and mustaches.

cdc mask fitting.jpg

Edited by ShipWalker

On 2/24/2020 at 4:05 PM, TNcruising02 said:

I bought these from Amazon based on a suggestion I read on CC.

We did, too--got next day delivery.  I also read that the surface you clean has to be left to air dry, not dried off with a napkin of something--preferably for 4 or more minutes, it should be wet.

We are also taking a spray can of Lysol cleaner/air freshner.  I'll use it on couch, chairs, pillows, bed spread.  The sheets are washed for new occupants, of course, but draperies, couch, bedspread, pillows, etc. aren't.  I think the pillows are particularly important because they are right by your face, and touching the face is mentioned by all sources as the thing you must avoid.

Wiping down cabin hard surfaces has to be done after the attendant has cleaned to negate contagion from germs having been brought in with cleaning supplies.

Also, just a note:  hand sanitizer doesn't do even half the job that washing with soap and water does.  In hospitals, you don't see doctors slathering themselves with sanitizer:  they wash with soap and warm to hot water.  That's because soap and water eliminate way more germs than sanitizers do.  This will be our first cruise where we go out of our way to use the hand-washing station outside the Windjammer.  Generally, I assume the sanitizer is good enough--but not this time.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a31116569/how-to-prepare-for-coronavirus/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_pnb&utm_medium=email&date=022720&utm_campaign=nl19555432

• Like 2

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-prevention-face-mask-not-helpful-wash-hands/  Hopefully you can open this it basically says face masks are waste of time to prevent catching this disease. I for one won’t wear them and ruin my vacation time with those things on my face. Will take other precautions as washing my hands often yes I will . 

Edited by frito58

45 minutes ago, Pstreet12 said:

In hospitals, you don't see doctors slathering themselves with sanitizer:  they wash with soap and warm to hot water. 

I agree with your point about soap and water being more effective, but our recent experience with hospitals (unfortunately, too much) is that they do slather themselves with sanitizer.  Each room has a hand sanitizer dispenser mounted to the wall by the room door.  Everyone uses it when both entering and exiting the room.  Visitors are asked to do the same.  Although maybe not as effective as soap/water, it's quick, easy, and better than nothing.  Not sure what exactly is in the dispenser.  One of the medical professionals here may know better.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 9:40 AM, twodaywonder said:

Stay away from anyone that looks sick or especially anyone that sneezes. 

Sometimes hard to do when a cougher is at your table in teppanyaki, or sits next to you in the ship's theater.