What clothing to bring for a May Baltic cruise

I would bring cool-weather warm clothes. Like for a trip to Alaska. For me double-layered reversible pants from QVS (or eBay) from Renees Reversibles. For DH, silky longjohns under his nylon travel trousers and his thermo-lite lined leather jacket.

You might post this on the Cruise Fashion and Beauty board of Cruise Critic.

For weather, picking St.Petersburg as representative of Baltic Cruise, I use weatherspark.com for historical averages of not only temperatures but other weather related conditions (such as "how humid does it feel?"): Check rainfall and decide what raingear you might want.

https://weatherspark.com/m/96729/5/Average-Weather-in-May-in-Saint-Petersburg-Russia

We also have been in the Baltic a couple of times during heat waves.  Start with short sleeve or even tank top underlayer, add another shirt or light sweater, bring a rain jacket. The Swedes will be sunbathing when it's in the 60s... 

The weather at that time of year can be changeable, including rain. Dressing in layers is the best bet because it's easy to add or remove a layer to stay comfortable. Just bringing a bulky jacket doesn't work for me. I'd bring a variety of short or 3/4 sleeve tee shirts, a couple of lighter-weight cotton or merino wool (my personal favorite) sweaters or even lighter-weight fleece jacket, then a good, waterproof but not too heavy jacket that can block both rain and wind as an outer layer.

I also would layer silk underwear beneath my lighter-weight pants if needed as an extra layer of warmth. Not a big fan of jeans as I don't find them particularly warm, and they are terrible if they get wet. 

We did an early May cruise - I took long sleeved tops / cottom sweaters and then a rain jacket - it was not enough! Thank heavens I had thrown in some gloves and an ear warmer but I was still too cold too often. It got pleasant at the end in Copenhagen. Wishing you better weather but a fleece might not be a bad idea!

I love traveling north in summer.  There are some really lightweight modern wool blend thermal leggings that are seamless under clothing. I got mine at Sam's but they are readily available at REI and other outdoors stores.    I also have featherweight cashmere t-shirts.  Wool is great also because it is wicking.  

On our Baltic cruise, it was either overcast or rainy almost every day with temps in the 50s-60s.  This was in July 2016!  I highly recommend layers as others have said.  Please pack a good raincoat and rain pants.  LL Bean sells wonderful sets, very lightweight, and they also serve as windbreakers.  Most sensible two items of clothing I've ever purchased for Alaska, Baltic, and New England/Canada cruises.  I've more than gotten my money's worth from this rain gear.  

Edited by sevenseasnomad

Its quite cold out there even in Summer. I would recommend taking windbreakers with you, a hat and a warm sweater or smth. Usually its cold in the morning and at night. There is that nice brand that you can find in Europe called “Columbia” wear or (North Star). Both are very nice and do the job just right. Also look for some warm trousers. It might be just me but I am always getting cold in the feet. It always starts with my feet 

In the Adirondack Mountains where I grew up, we had a saying: "If your feet are cold, put on a hat." The head is poorly insulated and loses the most heat per area of the body, but the feet as the farthest extremities tend to feel it first!

Plan on a temperature range of 40-70 degrees F. We did the Baltic cruise  in June 2017 and St. Petersburg was cool in the morning but very nice by the afternoon.

When you go through Russian immigration, make sure that you receive a perforated card when they hand back your passport. My wife and i went through different lines on arrival. I received one but she didn't which detained/delayed her getting back on the Zuiderdam. The authorities were very stern about this.