Europe river cruise September

We booked ages ago a river cruise for September 2020 from Amsterdam to Budapest.

yes we have travel insurance.

those with your magical foresight’s can you  advise me if you would assume that the cruise will go ahead or do you think we are best to wait and see?

4 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Are you booked with Viking?  Someone just posted online a letter from Viking allowing them to postpone their Sept cruise with no penalty.

No we are with travel marvel. Wondering now if this will be offered to us?

11 hours ago, ozblue_7 said:

We’re also with travelmarvel in September. No thoughts whatsoever of cancelling at this stage. A lot can change in 6 months.

by any chance are you on the 18 September from Amsterdam?

12 hours ago, Esilef said:

by any chance are you on the 18 September from Amsterdam?

We’re doing the east Europe land tour from Prague before taking the cruise 21st September from Budapest to Amsterdam. Looks like we’ll pass on the river at some point.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozblue_7 said:

We’re doing the east Europe land tour from Prague before taking the cruise 21st September from Budapest to Amsterdam. Looks like we’ll pass on the river at some point.

will wave as we pass.

our travel agent asked for full copies of our travel insurance documents today. Looks like they are ensuring everything is covered.

worried about at flights to Europe as we are going via Asia but then again it’s here now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the PM talk about this possibly going on for 6 months or more, so feeling less confident about our September trip.

Travelmarvel allowing deferment of trips for $500 admin fee per couple! 

Will wait till July/August to decide.

• 3 months later...

Looking back, I see I was quite confident about our September European river cruise proceeding just a few months ago. Seems I was wrong as its just been cancelled.

We've decided to ask for a refund rather than the deferment to next year as we don't want what is a large amount of money tied up for another year, and we're not confident when it will be ok to travel.

Will let you know how we get on. 

Some river cruises are proceeding from July, which no doubt you already know. Our problem here is being able to get out of the country, which the way things are looking, won't be until 2021. 

Good luck with getting a refund. I hope that is "smooth sailing" for you.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we requested a full refund of $23k and have been offered $18.5k. So $4.5k of costs for travelmarvel! We’re disputing.

It was all paid on credit card. Has anybody had any luck claiming back through a credit card dispute?

I’m hopeful we’re ok with insurance less excess, but would like travelmarvel to justify the charges before I take that option.

Credit card dispute seems a no go according to my bank faq’s.

Edited by ozblue_7
Added paragraph

1 hour ago, ozblue_7 said:

I’m hopeful we’re ok with insurance less excess, but would like travelmarvel to justify the charges before I take that option.

Credit card dispute seems a no go according to my bank faq’s.

Were the charges included in the terms and conditions, on purchase.  I seem to remember conditions can't be changed later. 

I suggest you have a look at the ACCC website regarding refunds of cancelled cruises etc. I would not happily agree to a loss of $4,500. I was going to fight for the $500 P&O wanted to keep, but when I pursued it, they offered it as a FCC. I accepted that because we will probably go on a P&O cruise in the future, even if it is in a year or two's time.

17 hours ago, ozblue_7 said:

Well, we requested a full refund of $23k and have been offered $18.5k. So $4.5k of costs for travelmarvel! We’re disputing.

It was all paid on credit card. Has anybody had any luck claiming back through a credit card dispute?

Travel Marvel would be a tour operator who charters the river boats, am I correct?   Good luck with it all anyway.  Bit rough TravelMarvel is taking $4500, as commission with a little bit of that probably 10% going to your TA.  Yes I would not give up that $4500 without a donnybrook.

Edited by NSWP

ACCC website seems to indicate that a full value future credit is acceptable, which they have offered. We don't want to leave our money tied up for another year, not knowing when and if all this will be over.

I believe Travelmarvel who are part of APT own their own river boats.

Waiting to hear back from my TA regarding their justification of such a large amount.

Agree that would be totally unacceptable.  https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/apt Many complaints here.

We have travelled with APT and their product is good when its good, a lot depends on the cruise director and other issues.

Subpar so called premium trip to NZ. Coach was 3 groups blended so it was crowded. Some hotels did not have aircon in all rooms, it was hot in the north. Competitor coach company often reached the hotel first and got the better rooms.

One hotel had dirty cups in the room from previous occupants and room was generally not clean. The scenery was lovely and others on the trip were good company.

Apart from a couple of sisters who insisted daily on the front seats, and had loud verbal fights with the driver who ruled everything, including the pretty coach director.

We were compensated a bit.

Info about new offerings.

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article/wholesaler-wrap-apts-new-way-to-experience-oz-g-adventures-launches-physically-distanced-trips-more/

There are some class actions but they take a long time. ACCC advice? Expert advice? 

Media? Good luck with it all.