HAL comp if denied boarding by zip code?

thyme2go

7 hours ago, thyme2go said:

OK, settle down those that are going after everyone in Seattle.   There are NO CRUISES coming in or going out of Seattle right now.   

Well, since Seattleites aren't currently prohibited from cruising and this is all hypothetical anyways, why not throw in the hypothetical that there are current Seattle cruises?  Pretending there is a HAL ship sitting at the dock right now makes as much sense as pretending Seattleites are blacklisted.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can see from the responses that some people are in the same boat as myself living at ground zero and concerned about the spread of virus.     Last I looked Petaluma was not near Seattle.   I started this thread based on the reality that people on cruises in China, et al........... were denied boarding as the virus was escalating simply based on where they had been. That was real and the leap to wondering if and how that would look here was based on my own concern about a cruise in less than 40 days and living in a hot zone.   Was my comment hypothetical at the onset?  Yes..............however King County--(Seattle and other suburban towns) has declared a state of emergency and Snohomish county (next door to King Co) is moving to declare a state of emergency today as well.   Some School Districts are preparing for closure and at home teaching via technology.   This is what we are living in here............coronavirus is front and center.  I wish it was "hypothetical"..........      

Edited by thyme2go

As this virus spreads cruise lines may well start to take draconian steps to keep the virus off their ships.  Unfortunately its like trying to stop the tide.  Zip code denial would only be a stop gap solution.  I live about a half mile from Kirkland, which is ground zero with six deaths.  Seattle is not the epicenter, as several previous posts have alluded to.  

Panic buying was evident this weekend.  The Kirkland Costco store (which is their original store and is where the Kirkland brand comes from) did the most business they have ever done. People are nervous as is HAL.  The Westerdam had one passenger with the virus and she has cancelled all her near term cruises.  That's a lot of revenue that HAL has lost.  Therefore if they start denying boarding due to zip codes it is something that could definitely take place.  As the virus spreads they can't start including all zip codes so eventually they will have to develop another approach.

I feel for all those who are going on cruises in the next few months.  Its a bit like rolling the dice.  I hope that the cruise industry develops a clear path and not leave people guessing as to what approach they are going to take. 

13 hours ago, thyme2go said:

wwcruisers-----You would use your home zipcode, and if you live here you know that if you have tested positive for coronavirus your workplace, home and healthcare should all know you have it AND hopefully you won't be trying to get on a cruise ship!

You miss my point -- which is that the 'zip-code' red-lining simply would NOT work, in a demographically diverse area, such as the Puget Sound.

2 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

You miss my point -- which is that the 'zip-code' red-lining simply would NOT work, in a demographically diverse area, such as the Puget Sound.

Zip code red-lining would not work in most areas of the country. People move about freely from one zip code to another, and another, then another, during the course of most days. 
Then, there's the airport you pass through on the way to even a US port if you have to change planes. You have no idea where the person behind you in line is coming from, and you could be picking up the germ from them. None of us go about our business in a bubble. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RedmondCruiser said:

As this virus spreads cruise lines may well start to take draconian steps to keep the virus off their ships.  Unfortunately its like trying to stop the tide.  Zip code denial would only be a stop gap solution.  I live about a half mile from Kirkland, which is ground zero with six deaths.  Seattle is not the epicenter, as several previous posts have alluded to.  

Panic buying was evident this weekend.  The Kirkland Costco store (which is their original store and is where the Kirkland brand comes from) did the most business they have ever done. People are nervous as is HAL.  The Westerdam had one passenger with the virus and she has cancelled all her near term cruises.  That's a lot of revenue that HAL has lost.  Therefore if they start denying boarding due to zip codes it is something that could definitely take place.  As the virus spreads they can't start including all zip codes so eventually they will have to develop another approach.

I feel for all those who are going on cruises in the next few months.  Its a bit like rolling the dice.  I hope that the cruise industry develops a clear path and not leave people guessing as to what approach they are going to take. 

If you understand nothing else, please understand this:  The Westerdam did NOT have a passenger with the virus.  I just returned from her so I have first hand knowledge.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

If you understand nothing else, please understand this:  The Westerdam did NOT have a passenger with the virus.  I just returned from her so I have first hand knowledge.

If that’s the case, why in their blog does HAL report one female passenger did have it?  Did it later come out that the test was a false positive?  

I ask in all sincerity. I haven’t been following the lengthy Westy threads. 

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Zip code red-lining would not work in most areas of the country. People move about freely from one zip code to another, and another, then another, during the course of most days. 
Then, there's the airport you pass through on the way to even a US port if you have to change planes. You have no idea where the person behind you in line is coming from, and you could be picking up the germ from them. None of us go about our business in a bubble. 

A very good point, Ruth -- Thank You!

23 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

If that’s the case, why in their blog does HAL report one female passenger did have it?  Did it later come out that the test was a false positive?  

I ask in all sincerity. I haven’t been following the lengthy Westy threadsLink: 

https://time.com/5789745/westerdam-coronavirus-false-positive/?amp=true

B81A131D-BBDF-4BE6-8C5F-3047294F55A2.png

. Due to changing events,
it is possible that entry requirements for the countries on your cruise may
change and your itinerary may be modified or some guests may be required to
stay on board. We may change requirements to safeguard our guests and crew.   

Due to cruise Saturday on the Oosterdam and live in Western WA, but not the Seattle  area, and got an updated boarding notice tonight.  And after reading the update on HAL'S website,  it certainly opens the door of the possibility of not being allowed off the ship if the Mexican authorities say no one from WA state is allowed off. There is a new addition on the website about extra screening for those guests coming from areas of community spread.   Will post my experience after boarding,  hopefully. 😊

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I ask in all sincerity. I haven’t been following the lengthy Westy threads. 

I don’t follow the HAL blog, but I’m surprised by that.  Particularly since their CEO has sent me an email stating that the female passenger had a false positive test given by Malaysia health officials.

1 hour ago, nw gardener said:

. Due to changing events,
it is possible that entry requirements for the countries on your cruise may
change and your itinerary may be modified or some guests may be required to
stay on board. We may change requirements to safeguard our guests and crew.   

Due to cruise Saturday on the Oosterdam and live in Western WA, but not the Seattle  area, and got an updated boarding notice tonight.  And after reading the update on HAL'S website,  it certainly opens the door of the possibility of not being allowed off the ship if the Mexican authorities say no one from WA state is allowed off. There is a new addition on the website about extra screening for those guests coming from areas of community spread.   Will post my experience after boarding,  hopefully. 😊

Please let us know.  Also what area will you be cruising?

1 hour ago, nw gardener said:

If traveling on a passport, I'm not sure how MX would know who is from WA.  It's been a while since I've seen a manifest but I don't remember home address being included.  Besides, the WA residents will have been confined on the ship with everyone else prior to arriving in MX so discriminating against WA residents specifically would be kinda pointless.  If anything, MX would pull a Jamaica and just block the whole ship from arriving.  

Edited by Aquahound

My situation is similar to other posters.

I too live in western Washington, work in a Seattle suburb, and will fly out of SeaTac Airport for my cruise leaving March 18 out of Florida. In addition, given my profession I am in close contact daily with patients who have fever and cough.  I have been wondering if there might be sudden imposition of a ban on boarding people from Seattle area, or those who fly through SEA, and I would not learn of that until I have arrived at the port of embarkation.  Or I could be infected next week at work and not show any sign of illness until I am on the cruise.

I think this situation will clarify over the next few weeks or months, as Covid-19 will likely spread globally, and it will become impossible to separate high-risk and low-risk areas, who should be allowed and who should not be allowed.  It will also become clearer as to how severe the disease is, as right now the data are skewed to identify only the most severe cases - those who are sick enough to "deserve" testing (at least in the US where test capacity is quite limited).  Or possibly, the disease will fade away.

But for the next 2 - 4 weeks, it's very uncertain which way things will go.

15 hours ago, RuthC said:

Yes, obviously people would move around from zip code to zip code.  So as someone else said and what I was think in previous replies, you would not choose just one zip code you would choose a block of contiguous zip codes.

For Jacksonville, FL, I would choose all zip codes in Duval County.  Jacksonville and Duval County are basically one and the same.  For good measure I would through in 32208 and 32259 in St Johns county as they are just south of Jacksonville/Duval.  Many people live in those zip codes and commute to work, eat, shop etc. in Jax/Duval.  For good measure I would throw in a couple zip codes in Clay for the same reason.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:38 PM, Aquahound said:

If HAL condemns passengers with a Seattle zip code, they're going to have a hard time filling ships that embark in Seattle, considering you have to enter that zip code in order to board.  How would they staff the embarkation line?  Who would handle luggage?  Who would load provisions, fuel, etc?   

Heck, how would they staff their HQ?  

The whole concept is absurd.  You can bubble your entire neighborhood but it still takes only one unfortunate taxi ride, hotel room, or door handle of the cruise terminal to undo it. 

• Like 2

An update as promised. All checked in for our Oosterdam cruise and waiting to start boarding in 30 minutes. Painless check in, a form asking about recent travel history in regards to the virus . A separate station set up to pull people aside at security that appears to be for temp checks but didn't see anyone being checked further.  That was it, actually the quickest check in for years for us. For peace of mind, thermal scanners would be appreciated!  

• Like 1

"As this virus spreads cruise lines may well start to take draconian steps to keep the virus off their ships"

Impossible. 
The only way to keep it off the ships is stop the cruises.   Given the high contagion and  up to 14-day incubation before symptoms can present, it would be impossible.