Odds of corona virus causing my cruise to get cancelled?

harry345

Mackjack9139–

Well haha.. i’m 17, and this is my first cruise. my parents have airfare insurance but that actually sounds like a good idea. I just wanna go away somewhere tropical for spring break and get tan... I don’t wanna wait another year for a vacation i have been waiting for this for months. 

Edited by harry345
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, B113 said:

Going to Alaska in June out of Seattle. Not worried about the ship just the port.

Don't think you need to worry about the Port of Seattle. The ship will be fine as well.  Your concern is a couple thousand people from all over the World. 

Suggest you read a history of the Spanish Flu. If history is a guide things will get worse before they improve. In 1918 people near Kodiak AK were infected.

I just spoke with, Madam Cleo, at the Psychic Hotline. She says, pack your bags and be ready for a fun time.

Madam Cleo also said to put a heavy wager on Red at the roulette wheel.  "laissez les bon temps rouler"  Let the good times roll!

My Moms advice, "Don't sweat the small stuff and wash your hands."

Hope to see you all on board soon. 

PS: Wish I was making the transatlantic. Perhaps, this Fall.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

Don't think you need to worry about the Port of Seattle. The ship will be fine as well.  Your concern is a couple thousand people from all over the World. 

Suggest you read a history of the Spanish Flu. If history is a guide things will get worse before they improve. In 1918 people near Kodiak AK were infected.

The first two sentences of your response made me feel better! 

But then, your 2nd two sentences sent me straight back to worry mode!  We sail out of Sydney on March 20 on the Solstice, for the first of 5 cruises......definitely worried, and with no option to cancel.....

22 hours ago, helen haywood said:

How would you know?  Not making light of this but I bet someone dies on probably every cruise.  It’s not reported.

TRUE - But when you Have CDC and the WHO saying this is not a drill,  getting more serious by the day and waking up to yet another cruise ship is quarantined today - it may not be worth it for ( us. ) 

Unless a miracle happens , I doubt we will cruise as my worst nightmare having my family quarantined, separated, sick  on a ship or en route to airport in a different country.  As someone posted above - My son has health reasons to consider.

I just wonder with another ship quarantined whether wise  decision or not - all of those resources how many of those funds, time and effort  could be better used somewhere else? Those elusive testing kits being helicoptered in ....

the cruise community drives the cruise industry and it will take the support of people here when/if enough is enough and people should not have to risk their and well being against missing a cruise versus rescheduling it.

To those intrepid travelers Good Luck and I hope you have a safe , wonderful time. 

On the Summit right now, and we do have a future booking for April 25/20 and expect to be on the ship next month.  Events can change rapidly, but at this time there is no concern other than to be aware of possible impacts.

Today Celebrity sent out a notice that effective March 6/20, all passengers will have their temperature taken and those who exceed 100.4F or 38C will be referred for secondary screening among other measures.  If denied boarding, 100% refund would be given.  I take that to be cruise fare and taxes.

My brother had a 5 day Celebrity cruise scheduled for Easter break to Mexico out of Miami no insurance and fully paid for.  He gave it a shot and called Celebrity with his concerns. They are being very understanding and gave him a voucher to postpone his cruise. Good for a year. So it's not advertised but it seems like you can indeed get credit!  His neighbor had the same experience with Viking.  My similar cruise is with NCL March 28th  not sure what to do!😒  

• Like 1

We are supposed to be on the sailing before yours, and at this point, I am not planning on being on the ship. 

This problem is only going to get bigger. The virus is spreading exponentially in the U.S. right now, with pathetically little being done to slow the spread.  It is already in Florida. At the rate it is moving, there will be active outbreaks/community spread in the Caribbean before the end of March (I don't have a citation for that timeline, it is just my prediction based on what we've already seen).  And then what? 

Will the islands let the ship into port?  Will the ship stop at islands with active outbreaks?  Will someone on the ship end up sick and we get stuck in quarantine for who knows how long?  I just heard that someone in the Trump administration (maybe Trump?) said there is not enough quarantine space on land for the current Princess ship stuck off the coast of SF. So for now, those passengers are stranded, in limbo.

And that doesn't even touch on the flights there and back, or hotel stays on either side of the cruise.  

It really stinks.  But I don't have any desire to end up "part of the problem" by getting stranded on a quarantined ship.

And taking temperatures prior to boarding will not catch every person who has the virus, so that precaution gives little reassurance.

6 minutes ago, cruisn4evr said:

My brother had a 5 day Celebrity cruise scheduled for Easter break to Mexico out of Miami no insurance and fully paid for.  He gave it a shot and called Celebrity with his concerns. They are being very understanding and gave him a voucher to postpone his cruise. Good for a year. So it's not advertised but it seems like you can indeed get credit!  His neighbor had the same experience with Viking.  My similar cruise is with NCL March 28th  not sure what to do!😒  

1 minute ago, ghstudio said:

Found this on the Princess board......I guess it's a rumor until tomorrow, but hope it's true and I would expect  Celebrity to implement a similar policy.

It's not a rumour. Posted on twitter by a trusted source (editor at NPR):

My cousin was able to move a sailing this weekend on Equinox to a later date and time. 

Just spoke w Celebrity and they offered me a FCC for the full amount I paid, but no price or perk protection. Since my cruise is in 2 weeks that would basically be the same as Carnivals "non refundable cancellation fee" FCC correct? 

Have not decided if we will accept yet. 

A lot has changed in 2 days but a lot more can change in 2 weeks.  Trying not to make a rush decision but would like to see Celebrity formally and publicly step up with these offers.  My concern is getting off a cruise ship and myself or my wife being denied returning to work. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 2

Celebrity moved Millennium out of Asia early and scheduled several sailings out of Seattle next month instead.  Oops!  Health authorities recommended today that anyone over 60 or with underlying health conditions should avoid large gatherings in the Seattle area so hopefully that will result in available refunds to booked passengers.  Imagine the crowd that would likely pile up waiting to have everyone’s temperature and oxygen level checked before being allowed to board.  Those checks are the new normal.  

6 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Just spoke w Celebrity and they offered me a FCC for the full amount I paid, but no price or perk protection.

I hope that Celebrity follow through like Carnival & Princess.

My cruise is April 1st, and rather rebook for a later date cruise...

We leave Sunday on the Edge and actually the main thing I worry about is Tortola and St Maarten not allowing passengers getting of the ship at their port.

Other than that, wash your hands and stay away from large gatherings that involve passenger interaction .  Just walking near someone with the virus is not enough to transfer it from person to person.  It’s not an airborne virus.  It’s about personal contact and that contact being transferred to you though nose or mouth.

Practice good hygiene and you’ll be OK

i have a june bermuda sailing and found this, as i like to read bermuda news from time to time

http://www.royalgazette.com/health/article/20200306/advice-lacking-after-flight-virus-scare

Health minister Kim Wilson explained on Tuesday that, for Bermuda, testing for the coronavirus could only be done overseas and that “four to five days is the standard turnaround time to get a result”.

------------

so theres zero testing in bermuda.  so in theory i guess they would just turn around ships that they suspected have issues, correct? 

1 hour ago, orangedec10 said:

So glad to hear Celebrity is offering FCC.  While I am still hoping to sail (headed to Norway in May, flights already bought), it’s nice to hear that could be an option considering the situation is so fluid. 

Just read in another thread that "no FCC or anything" was offered to someone who just called in. So, not official yet, maybe just need to get lucky...