Cruise Critic Community
harry345

Odds of corona virus causing my cruise to get cancelled?

I know no one can say for sure, but i just wish I had an idea. I am going on the celebrity summit on April 4th, so 30 days from now, leaving from San Juan. I am from philadelphia and will be flying from there to San Juan. So yeah, I just wish I had an idea of whether or not it will be cancelled.... thanks for any responses. I’ve been looking forward to this for awhile and honestly I’m probably gonna go unless the cruise line cancels it for me as it’s too late for a refund if the line does not cancel it. 

I’d say the chances are negligible.  Plan for a nice trip.

Odds are getting shorter by the day 

My April 19th Edge TA will likely have a change in schedule, but not a cancellation since they need to get to Europe. I would put that possibility at 60 to 40 with 60 indicating the change possibility. I bought my crystal ball many years ago on Century.

6 minutes ago, Orator said:

My April 19th Edge TA will likely have a change in schedule, but not a cancellation since they need to get to Europe. I would put that possibility at 60 to 40 with 60 indicating the change possibility. I bought my crystal ball many years ago on Century.

I’m going to predict they won’t get to Europe. 

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

I’m going to predict they won’t get to Europe. 

If the TA's don't go to Europe, then the European/Mediterranean cruise season this summer is over. 

Maybe after the cruise CEO's meet with Mike Penske later tonight, I think the news said we may have a better idea.

High.  Grand Princess is already headed back to SF, after at least 2 passengers came down with it on the previous cruise.

I really hope they do not cancel. I am on the same sailing hotel and air fare is paid in full and I actually have approved vacation.

3 minutes ago, CatzEyez said:

I really hope they do not cancel. I am on the same sailing hotel and air fare is paid in full and I actually have approved vacation.

Yes, Isn’t it so frustrating when you look forward to something for months then find out it may be in jeopardy? Preying they don’t cancel it over a virus with a low fatality rate anyway. I think this next two weeks will tell a lot, only time will tell🤷‍♂️.. 

We are alsó on the April 19th transatlantic and my crystal ball says we are going with many port changes or no ports. Money paid and ins does not cover virus. I was going to upgrade to business air with miles,but realize we probably will not be returning from Rome. 

58 minutes ago, harry345 said:

I know no one can say for sure, but i just wish I had an idea. I am going on the celebrity summit on April 4th, so 30 days from now, leaving from San Juan. I am from philadelphia and will be flying from there to San Juan. So yeah, I just wish I had an idea of whether or not it will be cancelled.... thanks for any responses. I’ve been looking forward to this for awhile and honestly I’m probably gonna go unless the cruise line cancels it for me as it’s too late for a refund if the line does not cancel it. 

Cool, eh!?  You asked about Celebrity Summit leaving San Juan on April 4 (a seven night cruise in the Eastern Caribbean) and look what you got.

We are booked and fully  paid for  a May  cruise on Summit,  from Bayonne to Newport, Bermuda and Charleston.  Sure hope its a go but do not have  a crystal ball!

37 minutes ago, harry345 said:

Yes, Isn’t it so frustrating when you look forward to something for months then find out it may be in jeopardy? Preying they don’t cancel it over a virus with a low fatality rate anyway. I think this next two weeks will tell a lot, only time will tell🤷‍♂️.. 

exactly been over a year since we booked so much needed for the hubby to get some relaxation 

How can you relax on a cruise when the very nature of the cruise- i.e. Social distancing - defeats comfort and relaxation due to close quarters. 

Thermal suites , saunas etc... lose their allure when they are basically petri dishes.  The cruise ship in Japan was a Disaster for which travelers are still paying the price, financially or health wise.  

Have a cruise coming up and hopefully it doesn't get cancelled. Fortunately, hotel and flights can be cancelled or changed without penalty. So in theory, will not be any lost. Will just be a pain to get cruise $ back.

1 hour ago, CAicruiser said:

Lighten up.They should treated that as a flu.

As if that’s not our choice but we have no say as to how Governments and Corporations act, do we! We are in their hands entirely. 

2 hours ago, NinaBlue22 said:

If the TA's don't go to Europe, then the European/Mediterranean cruise season this summer is over. 

Yup. 

2 hours ago, CAicruiser said:

Lighten up.They should treated that as a flu.

When is the last time someone died of the flu on one of your cruises?

How would you know?  Not making light of this but I bet someone dies on probably every cruise.  It’s not reported.